Dan Acheson should be fired

Waaay funnier when it just said "Colts"! (who I had in the 12 spot!)

Actually I thought they looked great in that venue visually...but had the same sound issues as the rest....

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am most disappointed with Lucas Oil, and I certainly think the roof should have been open. I think we had some self-serving directors get in the way of that one when DCI should have been thinking of its fans and of what was promised when we moved to Lucas Oil in the first place.

That roof will never be opened if there is even a hint of a sprinkle in the weather forecast. The stadium people can not risk any damage to that field/stadium. It's virtually exclusive purpose is to house the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. The three days attendance for DCI finals is less than 2% of the annual attendance at the venue. DCI is merely a tenant and I hope people realize that the management at LOS has other, much larger fish to fry....

Ok, I think we are coming down on this guy a little harsh aren't we??? I don't agree with the premise of making an example out of Dan, but I do agree that DCI (Board of Directors/Maybe Dan) have made some brutal mistakes recently... I read all the posts here and I agree with many that the chances of the Board of Directors making any drastic changes regarding the Finals Venue are slim to none and that it's not Dan's fault that this occured... However, look at how many people have said that Lucas Oil is a sound vaccuum.... I think that the point is that DCI should listen to the fans who are buying the tickets, merchandise, sending the kids to march etc.... That's not to say that fans are always or even agree on many topics. But, I feel their are many who have spoken out against Lucas Oil and that the voices that bought tickets last week should be heard!! Indy I am sure is a lovely place and DCI had the right thought in trying to secure a place such as LOS, but for 10 years??? Without knowing what accoustics or logistics would do to the fan base that is there to enjoy it and pay money to support it?? I gotta say that was a way bad call... If you were to tell me that it was going to be hosted at Camp Randall for 5 straight years, would anyone bawk at that?? Maybe those in the West Coast but CRS is a proven stadium for corps!! Ten years down the road is attendance going to be good at Lucas Oil? I'm not sure, maybe they open the roof and it cures all, but maybe not....

As to the TV thing, I agree with Jeffsnewjetta about the PBS thing... Though I always loved to see the corps it really didn't help those people to get donations/pledges and that too was unfortunate... But I do think that whether it is a special Pay Per View event, or an added Live Streamed show or a theater show that costs a bit more, a solution to watching finals is possible... Now adays TV is really not the first option any more as technologies have improved and i feel that a fan in say Arizona would love to pay for the opportunity to see finals.... I know the wife and i are very passionate about getting tickets for next years Finals, and if it were brodcast that still would not change our minds... Now for the future when we couldn't afford to travel that far?? It would be revenue that DCi would still make and that everyone would benefit from.... DVD's are already becoming a thing of the past, streaming video/video downloads seem to be the way of the future, so what would using a technology to broadcast Finals hurt?? Back to Cowtown, if he feels strong about his opinion and we are all discussing points about his opinion, could it have really been a bad topic, or a bad opinion?? Just my two cents...

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Add that folks like my wife and I who didn't march, and don't have kids in drum corps. We just love the activity. As a younger person, I scanned the TV guide for weeks before the finals looking for when the DCI finals would be broadcast in the "old days." We see so much about the youtube policies regarding copyrighted shows, designes and arrangements. As a community, we should be looking at the positives as to how this new technology can be leveraged to DCI's advantage, not detriment.

I would pay just about anything to see Quarters, Semis, and finals broadcast on a PPV basis--what a great way to spend a weekend at home, with family--$89-$189 for the total weekend package would not be out of line IMO (OK provided at least 720p and reasonable sound quality). Sure, there is nothing like the live experience in just about any venue. Still, with the surround systems and inexpensive LCD and Plasma displays, coupled with high quality video and sound cards found in computer systems today, why not throw that offering out there. Sure, it's not live, but not a bad experience. I had tears in my eyes watching a number of corps this year in VGA (649 x 480 resolution) at semis this year. That in and of itself negates the bad decision to host finals at LOS with the roof closed. (I clipped my Amp twice on Friday night too).

Last year, after unexpectedly losing my job, we managed to find the funds to attend Big Loud and Live ($36 at a theater within 10 miles of our home). It was probably the only bright moment of that awful summer, and I would have spent more to see semis and finals live somewhere. I'm pretty sure that selling 200 seats at the Barrington 30 would not have a negative impact on the live activity--I would gladly buy primium seats at the @!#@$#ty LOS, but there are only so many premium seats. Having the option to watch at home at a premium price allows me to drink my premium ale, use my own clean restroom, and with my DVR, go back and replay, pause, etc my favorite moments.

Not to mention that the young folks putting on these great shows are so technically savvy and in a media world far different thant 1975 that it seems natural that DCI should embrace the way the and us old folks who also have embraced the latestet technology receive information.

We will still plan our 2010 summer around the local shows (we live in Chicago, and are blessed by the great small HS venues to watch the corps live)

Why not market through legit media outlets like the Discovery Channel or Nat Geo, get the DCI guys out there selling ads for Yamaha, Jupiter, Pearl, King, Getzen, Schulke (OK, based in Chicago)--you know--learn about your market and go out and sell it?

So this was rambling, but there has be be a better way to attract fans and new fans.

cs

I am most disappointed with Lucas Oil, and I certainly think the roof should have been open. I think we had some self-serving directors get in the way of that one when DCI should have been thinking of its fans and of what was promised when we moved to Lucas Oil in the first place.

That roof will never be opened if there is even a hint of a sprinkle in the weather forecast. The stadium people can not risk any damage to that field/stadium. It's virtually exclusive purpose is to house the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. The three days attendance for DCI finals is less than 2% of the annual attendance at the venue. DCI is merely a tenant and I hope people realize that the management at LOS has other, much larger fish to fry....

Very well said, which is why I find it very naive on peoples parts who honestly believe DCI didn't know this when they went into it. DCI knew and planned on having it be an indoor event. Period.

dcpacheco has it right.

Compared to NFL needs (and the general public), DCI's wants are pretty much a "take what you can get" proposition. I wish it was different, but, in reality, that's not where we are with what we do.

The DCI organization (BOD, CEO, Staff) have been following a business model that is 27 years old

I am sorry, but I just don't understand the above statement.

DCI has significantly changed the way they do business, and a good part of it, to the benefit of drum corp fans. Back in 1982, for example, there were very few ways for me to see all of the corpsin one show, the way that is possible in regionals now. Instead of finals on TV, we have Quarters in High Definition and sound we could have only dreamed about. Sure the issues mentioned in this thread are real, but its not for lack of DCI making the attempt to improve...

it's been said here already, but i'll say it to you again slower so maybe you get it.

Dan

answers

to

the

BOD.

firing

Dan

does

no

good

since

the

BOD

calls

the

shots.

easier to understand now?

He might need it in bigger font and in bold face to understand. hard to believe, eh???

How about volunteering, like a ton of us do all summer, to come help and fix issues instead of complaining. Oh, but wait, that would take leaving the house and the ankle monitoring system would have to be disabled for that...

That being said, I am not calling for anyone's head or job loss. That will not solve anything either.

I am sure Dan is a great guy, and I have heard nothing but positive things about him and his work ethic for DCI.

To all the people at DCI I truly am impressed with all the work you have to do, and you probably do not get the support you need.

That being said...

You need to somehow get ahold of that organization and make it what it needs to be. Too often the BOD (the corps directors) are running the ship a shore, mostly for their artsy fartsy creation needs, or so they can give their corps some sort of advantage. Or they are dealing with issues of "Fairness" when, in fact, you should be trying to sell tickets and see to it that fans have the best sound and sight experience. As an NFL stadium, Lucas Oil will be one of the very best, completely state-of-the-art. But for DCI, it's a wreck, and without the roof open I believe you have a real problem.

Getting out of the ESPN deal was good. I agree with others about that. And I love where the Fan Network can go in terms of fan entertainment and revenue for DCI. That is getting better and better.

But I do hope to see DCI push into other areas and look to bridge the gap between the needs of the corps and their performers, and the needs of the fans. I believe the fan will always feel somewhat shafted at times of economic uncertainty when the model for show producers is to raise ticket prices. The corps have raised prices, souvies are more expensive, and they all need so much more money just to compete these days (you know, so they can afford that expensive corps staff that will supposedly help them "Create" a show and "Win" more). Some of those people are lacking some serious talent and yet the corps are paying top dolloar...and then WE pay top dollar.

Well, I got news, anytime prices are raised, people expect the very best for that money. They don't want corps directors whining like little girls about fairness, or how their skirts might look in the rain, or how the flags will flow in the wind, or the backdrop, or any of that crap. What is this? The girl scouts! I thought these corps were tough. Then I get to finals and hear a lot of whining, yet fans are being tossed aside even though they are flipping the bill, in a bad economy.

So come on DCI, get aggressive. Make a difference and get to work on next year. I have a feeling ticket sales are going to be bad, at least early on, and that is when you need the cash.

If Dan Acheson ever does decide to step down, I'd like to nominate Jonathan Willis as his replacement.

I've worked in customer service. Sometimes the angry customer is just a bitter person.

So have I and I have taught customer service. One angry person may be bitter, but 100s upon 100s of posts here alone about LOS, that requires a public statement from DCI. Without doing so, they risk their reputation:

 They risk being seen as deceitful for their statement in 2006 about the roof

 They risk getting a reputation for not caring about the paying customer

 They risk being seen as trying to scam the customer by sending renewals for 2010 before the customer found out how bad LOS was.

In customer service – open honesty and explanation is the only policy.

Back in 1982, for example, there were very few ways for me to see all of the corpsin one show, the way that is possible in regionals now.

Back in 1982 it would have been a very long show if all the corps were there.