Dan Acheson should be fired

I wonder if he knows a person by the name of Shadow...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked in customer service. Sometimes the angry customer is just a bitter person.

Cant dismiss this guy like that. He has skin in the game. To name-call him misses the point.

my 2 cents

Shufferin Shuccotash

Ok, I think we are coming down on this guy a little harsh aren't we??? I don't agree with the premise of making an example out of Dan, but I do agree that DCI (Board of Directors/Maybe Dan) have made some brutal mistakes recently... I read all the posts here and I agree with many that the chances of the Board of Directors making any drastic changes regarding the Finals Venue are slim to none and that it's not Dan's fault that this occured... However, look at how many people have said that Lucas Oil is a sound vaccuum.... I think that the point is that DCI should listen to the fans who are buying the tickets, merchandise, sending the kids to march etc.... That's not to say that fans are always or even agree on many topics. But, I feel their are many who have spoken out against Lucas Oil and that the voices that bought tickets last week should be heard!! Indy I am sure is a lovely place and DCI had the right thought in trying to secure a place such as LOS, but for 10 years??? Without knowing what accoustics or logistics would do to the fan base that is there to enjoy it and pay money to support it?? I gotta say that was a way bad call... If you were to tell me that it was going to be hosted at Camp Randall for 5 straight years, would anyone bawk at that?? Maybe those in the West Coast but CRS is a proven stadium for corps!! Ten years down the road is attendance going to be good at Lucas Oil? I'm not sure, maybe they open the roof and it cures all, but maybe not....

As to the TV thing, I agree with Jeffsnewjetta about the PBS thing... Though I always loved to see the corps it really didn't help those people to get donations/pledges and that too was unfortunate... But I do think that whether it is a special Pay Per View event, or an added Live Streamed show or a theater show that costs a bit more, a solution to watching finals is possible... Now adays TV is really not the first option any more as technologies have improved and i feel that a fan in say Arizona would love to pay for the opportunity to see finals.... I know the wife and i are very passionate about getting tickets for next years Finals, and if it were brodcast that still would not change our minds... Now for the future when we couldn't afford to travel that far?? It would be revenue that DCi would still make and that everyone would benefit from.... DVD's are already becoming a thing of the past, streaming video/video downloads seem to be the way of the future, so what would using a technology to broadcast Finals hurt?? Back to Cowtown, if he feels strong about his opinion and we are all discussing points about his opinion, could it have really been a bad topic, or a bad opinion?? Just my two cents...

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Who else would take that job?? I would take that job in 5 minutes, and I am betting I could do no worse than is currently being done.

These are all interesting comments, I look forward to more of the same!

One other thing... who controls the content of the field pass?? I could not hep but notice how the Cadets 75th Anniversary got a full broadcast while the two days of what I learned above was a DCI produced event in Allentown just got glossed over with the tiniest of mentions. It was not the first time I noticed what seemed to be favoritism, but is that piece considered to be strictly editorial or does DCI have some sort of control over the content?

Based on one post, maybe.

Based on his history on the forums, I think Matt has every right too.

2) For all of you that state that DCI is blameless because LOS is at fault for not having the stadium done on tme: THIS IS THE FAULT OF DCI AS WELL!!! Why would anyone sign a long-term contact for something at an intangible venue??? Not only could there be no genuine assurance that the stadium would be done on time, but how could a governing body possibly locate their premier event at a facility that could not first be sampled???

However, you are forgetting that they did have a part of the contract address what would happen if the construction got behind schedule, and the pre-arranged backup plan was IU stadium. That showed good foresight, as even though the new facility was promised to be ready, they had the alternate on standby, just in case. What almost ruined everything was the sudden flooding that opened up a huge hole in the IU turf. Perhaps that was Dan's fault too? :unhappy:

Now, the sound issue stinks, but I believe Indy actively courted DCI to make the move, to add to their lock on the pageantry arts niche, in hopes of bringing all these yearly visitors to town. So much was mentioned about consulting with the music people (DCI included) in the acoustic design of the stadium, that if it is not meeting acceptable levels, I'm hopeful they will address it as much as budgets will allow. It's in the city's interest to keep this thing going and helping it grow. If the new tenant runs screaming after the first year, it's going to mess up their plans big time.

DCI certainly has made their fair share of lousy decisions over time, but this one still makes sense to me. Having a permanent home has many advantages, I just hope they can fix the current issues. It can't be fun to be in that office this week - they certainly want this event/activity to succeed beyond expectations.

I actually think firing Dan would be an excellent idea. And then, let's follow it with firing all the member corps' directors. Feidler, Hopkins, Gibbs, toast, gone...buh bye. Then, let's fire all those artistic staff members we all hate. There, that was easy.

Now, these kids...there all just high school bandos anyway...or primadonna college music majors, I forget which. But, launch them.

Now, let's get some Asimos in here before it's too late. Who needs synthesizers when you have Asimos?

Cowtown and I agree. Dan A getting fired is a good start.

</sarcasm>

Now, the less alternate universe version of me.

The problems with Indy are going to be addressed, as other problems have been in the past. I would match this year's shows versus 2005/2006 and say that changes away from narration have occurred. Art causes passionate reactions in people..look into the Ballet Russe performance of Rite of Spring. Caused a freakin' riot.

DCI will make changes...maybe not all the changes you want, but the needs of the fans will be addressed...almost guarantee you this will happen.

Do you know why? Guess who reports to the DCI Board about fan reaction to the events...umm...bet it's Dan.

So, why would you want him fired right now. We need to trust him and share our concerns with him and members of his staff. In this way, we open the communication lines between the fans and DCI and get our message to this not-for-profit Board of Directors. By they way, I don't believe their names are any big secret either so communicate to them as well.

Well reasoned, passionate displeasure with specifics and better yet, possible solutions to the issues raised would most likely be appreciated.

Drum corps cannot exist without two very important entities...first, those wonderful young performers who work very hard to give us the performance of their lives. Next, us...the fans...to be there to appreciate these performances.

<horns down>

I also think Indy is DCA's Rochester. How many other cities were doing everything possible to keep DCI there, and for long term.

Yea, the venue may not be the greatest (like Rochester) but I get the impression that finally Finals are an event and not just a show due to everything Indy offers.

Now, the sound issue stinks, but I believe Indy actively courted DCI to make the move, to add to their lock on the pageantry arts niche, in hopes of bringing all these yearly visitors to town. So much was mentioned about consulting with the music people (DCI included) in the acoustic design of the stadium, that if it is not meeting acceptable levels, I'm hopeful they will address it as much as budgets will allow. It's in the city's interest to keep this thing going and helping it grow. If the new tenant runs screaming after the first year, it's going to mess up their plans big time.

Honestly? There's little excuse for someone (DCI or the Stadium people) to not have brought in an acoustical engineer/sound designer to assess the plans for the stadium.

Could have answered a lot of questions up-front.