Any one else upset about appalachian spring?

How old was Key in 1991, the year Martha died at the age of 96?

I know he marched BD in '83 and I think he's at least 2 years older than I am. That would've made that his age out year so we're looking at around 29 or so when she passed away.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he marched BD in '83 and I think he's at least 2 years older than I am. That would've made that his age out year so we're looking at around 29 or so when she passed away.

A May-December romance then!

Even ignoring all of the various histories of the two groups involved, and the actual precedents and whatnot, I simply can't wrap my mind around someone being upset about a drum corps playing a piece that another drum corps played... Especially when the gap is 22 years...

That might be a product of my remembering the year both BD and Madison were playing "Strawberry Spring"... and both at roughly the same part of their respective shows, as well.

Err...I think you mean "Strawberry Soup", and the year was 1993. Scouts placed 6th that year and Devils placed 4th and man, did they have a hornline! I will never forget listening to that hornline blow my face off live that year, several times. I was in ecstasy...

I think everyone who watched SCV's show this year can agree that it was a well designed and executed show. However, I know a guy who was upset about the fact that their show was basically Appalachian spring. They can call it Ballet for Martha or whatever, but it's basically appalachian spring. This guy marched cadets in '85-'87. I'm pretty sure that '87 was the year where SCV went undefeated all season until Cadets beat them on Finals night... with Appalachian Spring. The Cadets made a change to the show that night, where they finished playing their show as they left the field- and this year, SCV had the same exact type of ending in their show. The guy was appalled when he saw the how SCV "ripped-off" (his words) Cadets' show. I saw a few posts talking about SCV's great history with Appalachian Spring, but as a young guy who got into the activity less than 10 years ago, I don't really know much about it. Is there anyone else upset about the deal with appalachian spring or who can explain scv's history with the piece?

So drummerboy where are you now?

Just once when someone drops in with one of these "someone else owns it" posts and they get summarily corrected, I would love to hear a response.

What do you think drummerboy? SCV has a long history, prior to Cadets in 87, of great success with this music. "Ballet for Martha" was not a secret code for Appalachian Spring as your post suggests. It is, in fact, the same basic source material (chamber version vs. orchestral version).

As others have suggested in this thread (including the SCV arranger for 2009) why not simply enjoy both. Both were great and I choose to enjoy both.

I don't think I have ever seen a more tasteful, articulate, bipartisan discussion of drum corps on DCP.

And rightfully so... My first exposure to drum corps in any form was the PBS broadcast of the 1987 Finals, and I distinctly remember the commentator mentioned how "true to the original" the Cadets version of Appalachian Spring was. Which, in retrospect, is all too amazing to consider that it was on 2-valve G bugles and marching percussion with mylar heads... antiques by today's standards. I watched the SCV show tonight for the first time via a Facebook/Youtube clip, and I told myself more than once, "this is how it should have been done"... which in some ways hurts me to say, because I think the presentation was so tastefully enhanced by Bb instruments and amplification.

Both corps put amazing shows on the field, each using the tools and techniques that were available at the time, and yet each being so much "ahead of their time".

And so I say... THANK YOU Cadets '87 and THANK YOU SCV '09!!!!

So drummerboy where are you now?

Just once when someone drops in with one of these "someone else owns it" posts and they get summarily corrected, I would love to hear a response.

What do you think drummerboy? SCV has a long history, prior to Cadets in 87, of great success with this music. "Ballet for Martha" was not a secret code for Appalachian Spring as your post suggests. It is, in fact, the same basic source material (chamber version vs. orchestral version).

As others have suggested in this thread (including the SCV arranger for 2009) why not simply enjoy both. Both were great and I choose to enjoy both.

He probably logged out because no one can have an opinion without being belittled for it. Honestly, I love Vanguard, but I saw this show at finals, and it really didn't do much for me. They were clean as #### and performed the crap out of it, but I found myself wanting them to blow me away. The only part that did blow me away was the company front. So there you go.

Cadets were supposed to do Appalachian Spring in 2000, but was scrapped for the show we all know. I think the Gods that we didn't perform App Spring.

Not to mention that the '80s Cadets played a number of tunes out of the "SCV" catalog ... Overture to Candide, Make Our Garden Grow, were all done by SCV first. At one point George was talking about doing "A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" which was also done by SCV in '74 (and is, IMO, a classic.)

It was kind of nice seeing SCV take Appalachian Spring back as their own ...

Thank you, I am tired of hearing many say SCV is a rip off when fact shows that if either one is, it is the Cadets. I do not really think they are but certainly neither is SCV. BTW, Cadets did to Young Person's Guide in 2001, they went by the original name and SCV used to call it Young Person's Guide to Drum Corps.

Research the actual "Ballet" first, then do a little drum corps research and you will be able to answer your own questions with intelligence and confidence. I learned more about Copland / Graham this year when I researched it as deeply as I did...and I am very happy about that.

Here are a few things that should be fun to check out:

1. What was the original title?

2. What was the original instrumentation?

3. What was the setting of the Ballet?

4. Why Simple Gifts"?

6. Why did Aaron Copland create a suite a year AFTER he wrote the ballet?

5. Where did the words "Appalachian Spring" originate and what is "Appalachian Spring"?

7. What prestigious award did Aaron Copland win with it?

Garfield 1987 and SCV 2009 ... I love 'em both but they are very, very different.

Thanks.