Any one else upset about appalachian spring?

I don't get this at all. There is only so much music out there that works.

When I viewed SCV, I didn't find it even remotely close to the same ideas or interpretation and found it much closer to the source music.

As for marching off at the end, yes it was similar, but different. I saw bands do it before Garfield, so I suppose they ripped it off?

There is nothing new under the sun.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone who watched SCV's show this year can agree that it was a well designed and executed show. However, I know a guy who was upset about the fact that their show was basically Appalachian spring. They can call it Ballet for Martha or whatever, but it's basically appalachian spring. This guy marched cadets in '85-'87. I'm pretty sure that '87 was the year where SCV went undefeated all season until Cadets beat them on Finals night... with Appalachian Spring. The Cadets made a change to the show that night, where they finished playing their show as they left the field- and this year, SCV had the same exact type of ending in their show. The guy was appalled when he saw the how SCV "ripped-off" (his words) Cadets' show. I saw a few posts talking about SCV's great history with Appalachian Spring, but as a young guy who got into the activity less than 10 years ago, I don't really know much about it. Is there anyone else upset about the deal with appalachian spring or who can explain scv's history with the piece?

Try calling it a tribute show!

If SCV did a dissolving front for the final push, then you may have an issue

( or exit tht field with a backward Z-Pull )

I don't think I have ever seen a more tasteful, articulate, bipartisan discussion of drum corps on DCP.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

(snip --- only editing for space. Because his post was indeed a thing of greatness)

They were totally different approaches to the same basic literature. Both extremely appealing. Both masterpieces in their own right. It's so very easy to compare because neither corps bastardized the original score. Thanks you to 87 Garfield and 09 SCV for being yourselves and for honoring Copland's incredible work by remaining as true as possible. Thank you Garfield for putting an entire show of Appalachian Spring on the field ... and doing it so well that 1000's of original records were sold so that all of those fans could enjoy the original master work .... and then applaud your corps for doing it so tastefully and so well. I then thank SCV for doing the same for this generation of fans. There is no shame in remaining true to the original composition and doing it so well that it inspires your fans to run out and discover the entire original work ... and educate themselves about the Greatest American Composer and everything his work represented.

Both corps should be very very proud and applaud one another for their accomplishments. By all means, don't let yourself diminish your accomplishments out of spite or rivalry. You're both very fine drum corps and ambassadors for music. Just keep remembering that. It's important.

Absolutely dead on analysis. Perfectly put. :doh:

I will love LOVE LOVE both 87 Garfield AND 2009 SCV till the day I die. 2009 SCV was being Vanguard in such a beautiful way. Channeling Vanguard’s soul through the “Ballet for Martha” material. I think to really relate to SCV’s interpretation, you kinda need to be able to relate to the SCV identity. It was brilliant. It was musically stunning. A show and performance that honestly took my breath away.

And likewise, I think to relate to 87 Garfield in the context of the whole “then versus now” debate” - it’s important to realize they were doing that production as themselves and pouring their corps identity into it too.

Instead of relating to it as a competition or decide if either of them “ripped the other” – I view it as Garfield does their thing and SCV does their thing. Both absolute bullseyes.

I also want to point out that the OP’s report that “The Cadets made a change to the show that night, where they finished playing their show as they left the field” is inaccurate. I’m pretty sure that endings to the show every time I saw it during the last two weeks were the same that they performed on Finals night. And there’s no doubt it was the same in Semi-finals.

(DISCCLAIMER: The rest of this is kinda off topic because it relates to my memories of seeing 87 Garfield live. So feel free to stop reading here if you aren’t interested.)

I've had much to say in the past about 87 Garfield’s show. One of my all time favorites for sure. Prior to my 1987 rookie year in drum corps, I had never seen anything that could even come close to Garfield's "Appalachian Spring" show that year. And in my opinion, very few non-Zingali shows since have been able to conjure up the same artistic brushstroke that Zingali and company delivered to us lucky Drum Corps fans and members.

It was really a small miracle that the Sky Ryders we were able to make it on time to compete at DCI East in Allentown PA - but we did. And the bus breakdown odyssey getting there was totally worth it. Because on the evening of Saturday August 1, 1987, I saw the Garfield Cadets live for the first time in my life and also I saw their production of "Appalachian Spring" for the first of 6 live viewings. Garfield NJ on Monday August 3 ...DCI Midwest Prelims, Saint Louis MO on Saturday August 8...Ankeny IA on Sunday August 9...Stillwater MN on Tuesday August 11...DCI World Championships Finals, Madison WI on August 15. Each time, I raced back up into the stands to get to see that show again. Some were from the side, more or less. But a few were from the front.

Each time I saw that show, I just sat dazzled by the beauty of it all. I'm not even sure I knew the name George Zingali at the time, but I knew I was seeing greatness.

The moving forms (more like earthworms in water than what I expected from a corps) and the colorguard always integrated into the drill. My expectation of drum corps was that it would be loud and "in your face" and precise - but Garfield's visual element was so different from what my naïve 18-year old mind thought was possible on the field. Finals night I saw it from WAY up high in Camp Randall and knew at the time that it was an amazing accomplishment of drill writing, drill flow and (especially at the end of the season) execution. You can still hear my screaming voice on the CD/Video at the end of the "tag ending" as they are collapsing the block down and preparing to march off leaving behind those of us in the stands lucky enough to have seen it and felt it in person.

So for me, it was the visual element of that show that made it unforgettable. It was such absolute PAY DIRT from a design standpoint. I've always considered Garfield's show to be a "Visual Masterpiece" that I feel very privileged to have seen from up top to fully appreciate (and Thank The Gods recently got my hands on a High Camera tape of the Semi-Finals performance). Heck! I even started my own poll to see how many other people agree with me. ( 87 Garfield – “Visual Masterpiece?” Poll Here) (Looking back at the scores now, Garfield actually seemed to get dumped a little in GE Visual and that's the very caption I would have expected to give them the edge on finals night - if it was destined to happen... in my opinion. )

He probably logged out because no one can have an opinion without being belittled for it.

Yes, yes, indeed. How dare people dare to respond to a post basically accusing one corps of ripping off another with things like facts and history and perspective.

The callous cads! Harumph, harumph!

I am terribly upset that SCV didn't place a spot or two higher with this outstanding performance.

Seriously - I was so mesmerized when we saw SCV in Denver that I said to my wife "There should be a rule that any corps that ever plays this literature this well should win every show they enter....forever."

My wife, who began marching drum corps in 1987, was initially appalled that Santa Clara was ripping off Garfield........until we got home and I pulled out my VHS (yes, VHS) tapes and said "Hey Babe, why don't we watch the 1983 Santa Clara Vanguard. I think you'll like it."

I see it as two completely different approaches to Appalachian. With Cadets it was more in your face. It still had its very pretty and sophisticated moments, but aggressive in nature. SCV was sophisticated as well, but more minimal in its approach this year. I don't know if I have ever seen a corps do as much with the silences of music as I did this year with SCV. They made such great use of the softer nuances of the piece.

Both shows will be in history as 2 of the greats. No reason for anyone to be appalled.

1987 Garfield introduced me to Appalachian Spring, which went on to become (and still is) my favorite piece of music. Over the years, it is always what I listen to when I need creative inspiration or just to be transported away. When I first heard about SCV's plans early in the season, I was extremely skeptical and concerned that they were going to somehow mess up my memories. With my first viewing of the show, all those fears vanished and I was completely captivated.

I think the masterwork they've produced from the original source music is perhaps the most artistic thing I've seen a drum corps do....ever. During the Quarterfinals broadcast, my theater fell completely silent for all but the last part of the show. People were totally drawn in. When it finished, my teary-eyed friends and I (including a late 80's Cadet) looked at each other and all used the same word - "perfect."

The visual interpretation of the music, both with drill and guard work/staging is simply a perfect fit for what you are hearing. The way it flows, builds, and utilizes restraint is absolutely beautiful. No typical drum corps power chords here. And none needed.

If you compare the two shows musically, apart from familiar melodies and order of movements (both drawn from the original), the arrangements are so very different. While SCV also ended with a graceful exit, they do it to different music, a choice which is much more true to the original piece, and the way they flow off in curves fits so well. I find their production to be incredibly fresh and such an amazing contrast to some of the other convoluted show themes that competed at the same time. I so hope they take a similar approach with different music next year. It's a style of classic simplicity and clarity of focus that begs for more experimentation.

I still love the '87 Cadets for introducing me to AS in the first place and I love '09 SCV for enhancing my enjoyment of it.

It is ok to like both. :doh:

I am with you on this one. I don't care if 100 corps did it, I hope 100 more do it too. BEAUTIFUL music done well, but I am miffed that the cymbal line failed the V before leaving the field. MIFFED.

Last time I remember checking, no corps "owns" any of these pieces. It was Copland's music. Geez, we get so territorial in this activity.

Personally, I'd be happy with Cadets announcing they were repeating the 87 show next year verbatim...company front and all. BRING IT, I say.

And actually, truth be told, I'd like to see Crown pick up New World Symphony and win with it next year...just to add a little bit of fire to the thread. :doh:

Incidentally...SCV 09 made me cry...literally. CRY! Loved every second of it from the pre-show to the cymbal thing. Just beautiful.

I think everyone who watched SCV's show this year can agree that it was a well designed and executed show. However, I know a guy who was upset about the fact that their show was basically Appalachian spring. They can call it Ballet for Martha or whatever, but it's basically appalachian spring. This guy marched cadets in '85-'87. I'm pretty sure that '87 was the year where SCV went undefeated all season until Cadets beat them on Finals night... with Appalachian Spring. The Cadets made a change to the show that night, where they finished playing their show as they left the field- and this year, SCV had the same exact type of ending in their show. The guy was appalled when he saw the how SCV "ripped-off" (his words) Cadets' show. I saw a few posts talking about SCV's great history with Appalachian Spring, but as a young guy who got into the activity less than 10 years ago, I don't really know much about it. Is there anyone else upset about the deal with appalachian spring or who can explain scv's history with the piece?

No man!! I aint upset I thought SCV were amazing!!! Loved it!!!!