Help with Marching/Jazz Run

My son is concerned because he says one of the requirements for him to audition will be to able to Jazz Run.

Your son is wrong. Email the corps and ask what is required at the audition, jazz run will not be included. If he can march in step and run he can learn the jazz run very quickly.

Heck, most corps have an audition weekend and don't even talk about cuts until camp two. For his first camp: You son should be able to hold his horn up and play all weekend. Also be ready to be a sponge and absorb every tidbit of info passed out. Be ready for a few marching blocks as well. Great attitude and willingness to be instructed are the top requirements for most corps. Be humble and be great at the same time, anyone who really wants to march will fiind a home for the season.....that is a guarantee.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Auditions are concerned more with how well you can learn rather than with how much you already know, especially in the visual aspect.

Agreed. Music, they want you to be good already (generally speaking)... Visual, most will teach you what you need to know. Audition camps they usually are looking for the basics, such as: How good is their foot timing? How quickly do they pick up on the exercises? How many mental errors are they making? How quickly do they adjust to specific (if not indivdual) comments about their performance? How quickly do they implement corrections into their personal performance?

These are the things he should be worried about... they look for what they can't teach (they will teach you their technique) and take those kids who will be the best to mold and work with to get them to where they want them to be by August.

Actually, i went to an audition where I was asked to jazz run...first thing they had me do. But that was a one night shotgun audition. No instruction. Just go jazz run into a straight halt and then go play your solos. That was it. So yes, some groups ask for you to audition with a jazz run (or at least one).

Trust me, some corps do (or did) take the visual audition pretty serious. I finished top 5 in my music audition and was cut due to my visual audition. First camp. And yes, it was that bad. I had no clue how to march the corps technique. They had an instruction block before hand, but when you have marched a certain way for years, learning a VERY different technique can take time. And it was my first time auditioning for drum corps.

*Cut as in I didn't make the line. I was asked back though.

Edited by Feathers Up

Thanks to everyone for all the input! I appreciate all the answers.

If anyone has anything to add, please continue posting.

Consider this. Contact the marching techs at the corps your son wants to march with. Or even the caption head. Many of the corps list the contact information for these individuals on the website.

Find out what specifically will be included in the audition. And also ask what can be done to prepare for it. They should be able to tell you if jazz running, or setting up folding chairs, or wooden ladders, or any other foreign object, is included in the audition.

Now that the season is over, the staff should have a lot more time, and should be able to answer these types of inquiries. And most of them will be somewhat supportive and understanding. They always want to attract solid talent, and want as many folks as possible to attend the tryouts.

Thanks to everyone for all the input! I appreciate all the answers.

If anyone has anything to add, please continue posting.

Since jazz running is a basic dance technique, talk to a dance studio about teaching him how to do it or since it is such a commonly used technique in winterguard talk to the guard staff of your son's band.

Find out what specifically will be included in the audition. And also ask what can be done to prepare for it. They should be able to tell you if jazz running, or setting up folding chairs, or wooden ladders, or any other foreign object, is included in the audition.

i lold

I just wanted to thank everyone who has responded. You have made me feel at home even though I am new here. I appreciate all of the great answers and suggestions.