Troopers, Colts, or Academy?

Troopers, Colts, Academy  

259 members have voted

1. 1. There has been a lot of discussion about the battle for 12th...who did you feel had the strongest show in 2009?

• Troopers
    • Colts
    • Academy
  2. 2. Did Trooper's identity give them the final push over the competition?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not going to cry conspiracy theory, but I definitely think there's no way in hell Troopers should have been over the Colts. They put on a very, very respectable show that should be considered quite possibly the best a (should-be) 13th place corps has ever been.

But over the Colts? Maybe the judges were watching a different how than I was. To me, there was a clear winner, and it wasn't what was on those judges' sheets.

With that said, I'm really happy for those kids in Casper. I'm sure they had the time of their lives on Saturday night, and I hope they have many more to come.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but their opinion does not carry as much weight if they were not at finals.

You marched colts. bmroth is the parent of a colts member. I am related top someone at troop. All of these things cloud our judgements.

The judges however have nothing to benefit from putting one group over another and even though Troopers went on before Colts all season long (except Atlants and Indy) Troop still came out on top.

You are correct, but I also was a huge Troopers fan this summer for the first time in my life. I thought they had a better design, I thought the Colts show lacked direction in design. The Colts show promised to the members wasn't the show they ended up performing. That's why I created this poll. Even myself, being a huge supporter of the Colts was curious and was proud to see that any of the corps of through Crossmen had the potential to be finalist.

I have to admit I was really wanting to see Troopers hit top 12 status again. However, I don't think their show this year was better than Colts. I would have put Colts in 12th, Scouts in 13th, Academy in 14th and Troopers in 15th.

Visually the Troopers show was a little weak. And the colorguard had probably one of the easiest routines on the field this year, and still couldn't even perform a simple spin with everyone on the same count.

Colts should have been over Troopers by close to 2 points.

I would have put Troopers, Spirit and Crossmen all about the same level, with Troopers probaby having a slight edge in that group.

I have to give Troopers alot of credit, as they have really come a long ways in the last 3 seasons, and they have alot to be proud of. However, a 12th place finish was not deserved this year.

Just look at the recaps from Semis and everything looks very reasonable.

Troopers won Marching, Music Ensemble, Brass, and Drums. Troopers beat BK in Brass and Glassmen in Drums.

Colts won GE, Visual Ensemble, and CG. They only beat BK in a CG subcaption.

This is is scary accurate.

[EDIT: Not that people don't believe that Colts should have been in 12th, but it will be interesting to watch all the Troopers goodwill slowly ebb away when they move up in the ranks next year. Everyone's happy for them now but the strong haters will start showing up next summer. Just watch.]

Edited by Pinwiz

Just look at the recaps from Semis and everything looks very reasonable.

Troopers won Marching, Music Ensemble, Brass, and Drums. Troopers beat BK in Brass and Glassmen in Drums.

Colts won GE, Visual Ensemble, and CG. They only beat BK in a CG subcaption.

This is is scary accurate.

[EDIT: Not that people don't believe that Colts should have been in 12th, but it will be interesting to watch all the Troopers goodwill slowly ebb away when they move up in the ranks next year. Everyone's happy for them now but the strong haters will start showing up next summer. Just watch.]

This statement reminds me of statements made on behalf of a certain 10th place corps in 07 and a 12th place one in 08.

I have to admit I was really wanting to see Troopers hit top 12 status again. However, I don't think their show this year was better than Colts. I would have put Colts in 12th, Scouts in 13th, Academy in 14th and Troopers in 15th.

Visually the Troopers show was a little weak. And the colorguard had probably one of the easiest routines on the field this year, and still couldn't even perform a simple spin with everyone on the same count.

Colts should have been over Troopers by close to 2 points.

I would have put Troopers, Spirit and Crossmen all about the same level, with Troopers probaby having a slight edge in that group.

I have to give Troopers alot of credit, as they have really come a long ways in the last 3 seasons, and they have alot to be proud of. However, a 12th place finish was not deserved this year.

Well. The judges feel much differently.... troop in finals..... and in the end that is what counts.

Your child also marched colts too, so your opinions are clouded.

Also...Of course you see people on here saying that colts should have beaten troop. You wont see people from troop saying troopers should have beat troop you know why?.... BECAUSE THEY DID!

Listen, just because we had a child who marched in the corps doesn't necessarily cloud our judgment. Sure it creates a bias that's a given and admitted but I have been around the activity for years and know how to form an opinion that is not based upon where my daughter marches. My argument is somewhat unique that while I have always LOVED the Troopers and their organization I just didn't get their show this year. Others would say the same thing the other way around and that's ok.... Maybe after I see them a hundred more times something will light up in my brain and my opinion will change. I honestly had them somewhere between Crossmen and Madison. That doesn't make me right it is just an opinion. I didn't get their musical selections to theme and am still working on it. I thought the Academy had a very strong show this year and would have had them neck and neck with the Colts. Like I said before I congratulate The Troopers organization, there are no sour grapes....they got 12th and obviously the judges felt they deserved it and they should be congratulated for getting into finals and should be very proud of that accomplishment. Period.

Listen, just because we had a child who marched in the corps doesn't necessarily cloud our judgment.

How could it not? Your daughter marched the colts. Of course it clouded your judgement.... it would mine!

I didn't get their musical selections to theme and am still working on it.

Not sure how you didn't.

Western Side Story was their show and their music was from Bernstein's West Side Story and various western music (like Spaghetti Western by Michael Daugherty and Dances with Wolves)

there are no sour grapes....

Now this is actually why I choose to respond, because there were obvious sour grapes in some of your previous posts. I remember you flipping out a few weeks about how Colts were getting screwed and how their scores dropped and nobody else's did (which happens all the time BTW.... for example: troopers score dropped every night in Indy). You were definitely bitter then and crying foul quite openly and loudly. All the sudden things have changed?

However, a 12th place finish was not deserved this year.

In your opinion... The guys in the green shirts felt differently

I can't vote on this one either but I can share my thoughts......and I was at semifinals in Indy and saw the shows back-to-back-to-back.

Academy - I enjoyed the show and I enjoyed the performance. I feel like Academy is searching for the right formula to move the corps up to the next level. That means they're using elements that have worked for other corps and I'm comfortable with that. I did feel, after all three performances, that Academy was just slightly out of the mix and that it was entirely a toss-up between the Colts and Troopers.

Colts - Disclaimer. I am a big fan of the Colts organization having toured on their support staff (that's me at the wheel of a Colts bus circa 1995 in my avatar). I had not seen the Colts since Denver and I was thrilled with the amount of improvement the Colts had made since DATR. The corps put out an emotional and well-executed show Friday night.....one that I liked a great deal.....and I felt like they had a real chance at making finals. I would have liked to see them do so.

By the obverse side of that coin - I was thrilled to see the Troopers make finals. It's always nice when an old friend has survived some down years and then makes it back. I liked the Troopers show. I loved the repertoire and I loved their performance of it. The Colts may have been cleaner but I preferred the Troopers sound and I enjoyed the familiar music.