Mini Corps Championships....who will take second?

Could someone clarify what DA said about the sheets? What is the criteria that the judges have to go by, or are they given permission to change what the caption really is to what they want it to be. is clean more important than entertaining or crowd reaction, is there sub captions, and what are they and do they give equal credit to all captions? This way we all could make good judgement's about who should be second. But again what is DCA MINI CORPS meant to be about? To find the "best" for sure, no one disagree's with that, but is "best"? When you walk away humming a great show that gave you(my favorite) goose bump moments and you hum them all the way to you car or is it when you say to yourself or a a buddy man they were so freakin clean, I don't know what it was but it was done great, and you forget about what it sounded like before you get to your car. Okay blast me all you want, but for the record when GR won the first time and made the crowd go crazy with there music and there wheel on stage, and they did a junior corps as an encore, remember the yellow jackets, made the Bridgemen proud I'm sure, they made a huge leap in mini corps entertainment. now semi circle and ultra clean. It's just my opinion and i mean no disrespect to any of mini-corps or any one with that much musical ability and talent. Best of luck to everybody and please have a safe trip here and back home.

johnnytata,

Just to elaborate a bit on your post, audience entertainment is highly valued in the Mini Corps event as shown by the Judges Instructions on the Official Score Sheet from last year's show:

"MANDATORY: Evaluate the OVERALL MUSIC EFFECTIVENESS and COMMUNICATION of the program. Credit the development of the intellectual, aesthetic and emotional factors as it relates to AUDIENCE ENTERTAINMENT. Reward the performers for their ability to bring the program to life and engaging the audience through their showmanship qualities."

Please note that the capitalization is as shown on the score sheet.

The two major subcategories are "Repertoire Effect", and "Performance Effect". There is no explicit category for execution as I believe this would be addressed under the "Creative/Artistry" sub-heading.

Your interpretation of what Mini Corps should be about is spot on. It is not just about excellence in musicality, but rather the ability of a corps to convey their skills/show in a manner that ENGAGES and ENTERTAINS the AUDIENCE!!!

If you feel obliged to hum a tune that you particularly enjoyed (and was skillfully performed) as you exit the show, then I would say that the mission of that corps was accomplished.

At Mass Brass, we have always embraced the concept of audience entertainment, and truly appreciate feedback from the audience. Please feel free to bring along a few extra babies to throw, as WE WILL ROCK THE HOUSE! :thumbs-up:

Hope to see you there

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of back and forth chatter about execution vs entertainment...who's better; who's not...

Let's not forget that when it's all said and done, the only opinion that really matters is YOURS!

If " this "mini-corps wins, and you think it should have been" that " mini-corps....well, YOUR favorite won. Plain and simple.

Look, the judges are just judges. Sure, their opinions and expertice are important to the event. But, not more important than YOUR opinion.

If entertainment is all that matters to you, then entertained you will be. If scores are what's important to you, then enjoy the adjudicating results, down to the last tenth of a point.

All the performers; all the fans will be the true winners this weekend. :thumbs-up:

Cue theme from JAWS......

3878942332_ac9283d0e8.jpg

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

Edited by MrKlark