Mini Corps Championships....who will take second?

Since everyone feels they know who will win the 2009 DCA Mini Corps title, who do YOU think will take second??

Feel free to discuss.....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since everyone feels they know who will win the 2009 DCA Mini Corps title, who do YOU think will take second??

Hey Frank,

IMHO Let me be the first to say I do not agree that it is a given that Star will win. I think both Mass Brass and the Golden Eagles can never be counted out when there is a competion. With that said, when I watch a show it is important for me to be entertained first and formost. And, I was entertained by Mass Brass and the Golden Eagles last year in Rochester. More so then Star. I thought Star was technically very very good and got high execution marks in my book. But for my enjoyment and entertainment, I like Mass Brass and Golden Eagles all around. I also think the arranging is important and felt that Mass and Golden had a great book. Star's book to me was like the Arbans book. I think it is a three way dead heat for first. Now...............is there a sleeper out there who can get in there? I hope so! See you then, Joe

Hey Frank,

IMHO Let me be the first to say I do not agree that it is a given that Star will win. I think both Mass Brass and the Golden Eagles can never be counted out when there is a competion. With that said, when I watch a show it is important for me to be entertained first and formost. And, I was entertained by Mass Brass and the Golden Eagles last year in Rochester. More so then Star. I thought Star was technically very very good and got high execution marks in my book. But for my enjoyment and entertainment, I like Mass Brass and Golden Eagles all around. I also think the arranging is important and felt that Mass and Golden had a great book. Star's book to me was like the Arbans book. I think it is a three way dead heat for first. Now...............is there a sleeper out there who can get in there? I hope so! See you then, Joe

What he said! Good luck to all the mini corps and may the AUDIENCE win!

Hey Frank,

Cannot disagree with this perception. (agree with the Arbans reference) Been there many times so I know of what I speak. Maybe to close to call. Don't rule out the Corps' from "Parts Unknown" either. As said before....FANS WIN. :thumbup:

Edited by melligene

:thumbup: Frank, great vision ..... Star wins ..... probably .... much talent and execution ability. 2nd place .... that is the ?. Mass Brass or Golden Eagles.?

Do not count Ghost Riders out of the formula. This will be GR's 14th year in competition always in the hunt. Although mid 85 scores were the norm for a couple years running ..... last year saw an increase of 7-8 points putting GR in the 92/93 range. This was due to a superb bari line .... excellent trumpet and mellie line, great percussion with the late "Rick Rogers" and "Jackson Fink Jr". Not to mention a show design front to back 2nd to none......if you bought the DVD's and watched the show front to back this would be an obvious conclusion.

Now it's 2009 and Ghost is coming ....... This year brings to the table a musical book that moves their approach to a higher level. Aaron Copelands "Red Pony" ; Ghost Riders Suite (an original composition penned by Donny Allen) ; followed by a let it rip "GR In The Sky". Sprinkles will be added with a jazz rendition of "Happy Trails". The crowd will be entertained, the judges will notice the complexity plus the diversity of the styles in music. Never count Ghost out.

Golden Eagles are wonderful and put it all out there.....Frank makes sure of it. Strutta, Coulsen and the boys from Mass Brass play their tuckesses off.

This will be a barn burner. DON'T MISS "GHOST RIDERS" THEY MAY SURPRIZE YOU ALL !!!!!!

Frank, I think I know you and your competitive spirit well enough to see through this little canard... so tell me - just between us - what have you got up your sleeve? Joe Mosello? Goober? Both? Jeff Kievit? Ruben?

I'm hearing Madeline Khan in "An American Tail" ... "Pwepayah the Secwet Weapon!!!"

Somethings brewing. Ponzo only does humble when he's feeling like he's got an edge.

C'mon Frank. You can tell me. I won't tell that clown Moran...

errr I mean that master hornsman Strutta... (gotta watch that stuff that was close.)

Edited by rayfallon

:thumbup: Frank, great vision ..... Star wins ..... probably .... much talent and execution ability. 2nd place .... that is the ?. Mass Brass or Golden Eagles.?

Do not count Ghost Riders out of the formula. This will be GR's 14th year in competition always in the hunt. Although mid 85 scores were the norm for a couple years running ..... last year saw an increase of 7-8 points putting GR in the 92/93 range. This was due to a superb bari line .... excellent trumpet and mellie line, great percussion with the late "Rick Rogers" and "Jackson Fink Jr". Not to mention a show design front to back 2nd to none......if you bought the DVD's and watched the show front to back this would be an obvious conclusion.

Now it's 2009 and Ghost is coming ....... This year brings to the table a musical book that moves their approach to a higher level. Aaron Copelands "Red Pony" ; Ghost Riders Suite (an original composition penned by Donny Allen) ; followed by a let it rip "GR In The Sky". Sprinkles will be added with a jazz rendition of "Happy Trails". The crowd will be entertained, the judges will notice the complexity plus the diversity of the styles in music. Never count Ghost out.

Golden Eagles are wonderful and put it all out there.....Frank makes sure of it. Strutta, Coulsen and the boys from Mass Brass play their tuckesses off.

This will be a barn burner. DON'T MISS "GHOST RIDERS" THEY MAY SURPRIZE YOU ALL !!!!!!

Whoa there whoa... "complexity" AND "Diversity"????

That's six syllables on two words!!! You guys are SERIOUS!!!

Moran - might have been better off if that RIP thread had been for real!!!

Hey Frank,

Dude! What are you talking about? That book was DOPE!!! (see how hip I can be? at 57.9 year old too!!!) I remember when Joey (Arbans) was working on that book and he used to say to me, "Mr Fallon" (very formal guy, young Joey) - read chapter 12 again. Do you think it's too clear that the butler was all alone in the study with Nell and had access to the candle stick? "

That was a solid read!!! That and the Exorcist! Right up there on my list.

You gotta have more respect for your elders...

Edited by rayfallon

Dougie (fellow Mello) hope you read my post previoue to yours. I thought the "Parts Unknown" reference was a dead give-away. Lighten up DUDE........I/We know what "Ghost" is capable of. Remember the movie "Crockadile Dundee" ? They had a "Donk". Youse guys have an "ALLEN". :devil: End of story.....!! Just sayin.........

What he said! Good luck to all the mini corps and may the AUDIENCE win!

Tom,

In this mini corps show, the audience has ALWAYS won!

That's the beauty of it; we never know what to expect. I think there's far more creativity among the mini corps than there is among competing corps.

I'll be honest... In the past I've walked out of prelims - boooring. I even walked out of finals one year - boooooring. I've NEVER walked out of the mini corps show - because I had NO idea of what was coming up next, and couldn't wait to find out. And I've never been disappointed!

Andy