drum corps are not bands

It is not ridiculous at all, it is reality.

You just claimed that it is "reality" that if someone marches in a drum corps and a marching band and has a better experience in their marching band, then their drum corps is not actually a drum corps.

Maybe you should read my arguments before rebutting them.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy who rode next to me on the bus was in Sky Ryders the marching band while I was in Sky Ryders the Drum Corps because our experiences were different? Just kidding.

This morning I watched 20 min of BOA and agree that drum corps is easily different enough to have it's own name.

Area 51 has their own band. They were featured in Episode IV of Star Wars.

The Air Force has had several drum corps over the years, but the one most people know represents the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO. SSgt Keith Markey was their arranger for decades.

Garry in Vegas

Garry, I was responding to the poster that stated that bands represent a school and drum corps represent a region, hence the remark about the Air Force D&B corps in Colorado Springs.

One of the loudest corps I've heard ( or at least the loudest "sound" was when we were lining up for a parade in the French Quarter and heard this ROAR of Battle Hymn from 2 blocks away.....it was a 16 man horn line from one of the Marine D&B corps. Talk about a sound funneled down the narrow streets of the French Quarter.............was back in th early 70's, on G horns and the intonation was clean. I love those people who say G horns have bad intonation. Most of them never experienced what COULD be done.

One of the loudest corps I've heard ( or at least the loudest "sound" was when we were lining up for a parade in the French Quarter and heard this ROAR of Battle Hymn from 2 blocks away.....it was a 16 man horn line from one of the Marine D&B corps. Talk about a sound funneled down the narrow streets of the French Quarter.............was back in th early 70's, on G horns and the intonation was clean. I love those people who say G horns have bad intonation. Most of them never experienced what COULD be done.

But, Mike, it's easier to buy the rhetoric and play Bb/F horns instead! Why work at something?

It's a self fulfillng prophecy. If you don't think you can play a G horn in tune, you won't. You could apply that to any key.

Garry in Vegas

But, Mike, it's easier to buy the rhetoric and play Bb/F horns instead! Why work at something?

It's a self fulfillng prophecy. If you don't think you can play a G horn in tune, you won't. You could apply that to any key.

Garry in Vegas

How true. Sad, but true. Of course I never used my third or first valve triggers .....nope, never, the trumpet was perfect :thumbup:

This. I can't tell you how many people in my HS band and even in college band simply do not want to be there... they're just there because they have to be, because they get credit, or because they get to go to football games for free. The number of us who are there because we love to perform and are willing to work hard and have a good attitude about it are sadly in the minority which is not the case in drum corps. THAT is the difference if you ask me.

Lots of bands are purely voluntary...I know the one I work with is. All of our kids are "there because they love to perform and are willing to work hard and have a good attitude about it." That difference goes away.

Hup234 speaks the truth. As he/she said, if the dreaded woodwinds,heaven forbid, are added to the activity then "drum corps" has morphed into nothing more then marching band. If that god awful day ever comes about then that is the day I will drop all forms of affiliation and promotion the activity. I have accepted moderation in limited use, I have accepted synthesizers but woodwinds I can not and will not accept in a drum corps. Enough is enough already!

Why? Adding WW is a great idea.

No, it's not.

It's easy to make a broad statement, isn't it?

Garry in Vegas

Seriously, please stop. You know, without cocoa, chocolate ain't chocolate anymore Mike. But maybe you call vanilla chocolate? That would explain a lot actually.

And what is your obsession with trying to ruin drum corps and take away anything unique about it?