drum corps are not bands

This thread is like the energizer bunny... We may as well discuss some zen philosophy, or a myriad of other questions for which no answer exists.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I HAVE TO:

The argument has been tried without success; piano is, like organ, in a category all its own. (Organ is not a wind instrument, NOR keyboard percussion; piano is not keyboard percussion NOR string instrument.)

The whole "piano is a percussion instrument" argument is moot anyway. I don't see pianos on the sidelines, not even pianos with microphones. SYNTHS ARE NOT PIANOS.

edit: This is not taking sides on this argument. Just defending my instrument. :)

No.

I can assure you as a piano requires tactile contact and finger technique which includes pressure it is a percussion instrument.

Mallets, even more so. Marimba isnt a percussion instrument? Should I not take pitched percussion in college? Wait, let me just drop out, because that school of music doesnt know what they're talking about. :lol:

No.

I can assure you as a piano requires tactile contact and finger technique which includes pressure it is a percussion instrument.

Mallets, even more so. Marimba isnt a percussion instrument? Should I not take pitched percussion in college? Wait, let me just drop out, because that school of music doesnt know what they're talking about. :lol:

No NO. (Do two negatives make a positive?) Here goes...

1. No, tactile contact, finger technique, and pressure does not equal percussion. Finger technique (and tactile contact which includes pressure) is required for violin, viola, cello, bass..... Yet they are not percussion. Is clavichord percussion too?

2. I made no argument that mallet instruments are not percussion (marimba, xyl, etc.) I said that PIANO is in a category all its own. At your college, please ask your piano professors if they majored in percussion.

3. Please refer to where I said the "piano as percussion" argument doesn't matter because there are no pianos in drum corps...only SYNTHS.

Is this when you tell me synths are percussion too?

This thread is like the energizer bunny... We may as well discuss some zen philosophy, or a myriad of other questions for which no answer exists.

An English professor of mine with a PhD and everything (from UNC) once told me that "myriad" can only be used as an adjective.

Is this when you tell me synths are percussion too?

Yes.

I don't know if anyone said this yet. But let me try MY definition of how we put this together.

Marching Band - A term of where a band meets a criteria of having what a high school "concert" band would have, only with the exception of a drumline.

Drum and BUGLE corps. Having a drumline and BUGLE instrumentations. A BUGLE a horn which represents a certain kind of instruments that a marching band has.

As I recall, weren't Drum and Bugle corps related to Drum and Fife corps? Just replaced the fife instruments with bugle horns, voila, Drum and Bugle Corps :lol:

alittle something I took from wiki:

A drum and bugle corps performance consists of the playing of music, usually accompanied by marching on parade, in field-drill formation(s) or in a standstill performance. It is similar to that of a marching band, but more in line with military presentation and heritage. Further, perfection of execution is more traditional to drum & bugle corps. A marching band takes instruments which are used indoors and takes them outside in order to participate in outdoor ceremonies. A drum & bugle corps took outdoor instruments and remained outdoors, occasionally going inside for "standstill" concerts

An English professor of mine with a PhD and everything (from UNC) once told me that "myriad" can only be used as an adjective.

Your professor is dumb. Language is used how we use it.

Your professor is dumb. Language is used how we use it.

Well, that's an incomplete assertion, but yeah, kind of.

"Myriad" is commonly used as either an adjective or a noun, though. It was just weird having a prof tell me something so completely wrong.

And DCI corps are marching bands.

Well, that's an incomplete assertion, but yeah, kind of.

"Myriad" is commonly used as either an adjective or a noun, though. It was just weird having a prof tell me something so completely wrong.

And DCI corps are marching bands.

And humans are organisms.

But no one says, "Why does it matter what people do? They're just stinking organisms!"

Edited by Hrothgar15

Oh yes we do.

Bb instruments evolved from bugles, thus they are bugles, whether in G, Bb, C, or B#. Modern military tradition states that bugles must be in the key of G, however, they were once in Bb. Trumpets came from valveless bugles and instruments that were made of wood with fingering tone holes.

Can u say woodwind?

A bugle is a bugle. Even if it is a delicious snack.

Drum Corps are two things. Brass and Percussion. That they have synths, really doesnt discredit this as a piano is a PERCUSSION intrument.

And, by the way, Drum & Bugle is a type of marching band. It is a type. It is not a band, but a type, just like a wind ensemble is not an orchestra.

So, since you seem to take a snide attitude as if you're a 2nd term music major that thinks he actually knows something, I'll reply as nicely as I can :lol: ( yes, I agree that the piano forte' IS a percussion instrument )

So, you ARE an ape ? Fine, I'm not. If you want to keep the same name even though you have evolved so be it. I won't give you the honor of saying you're a baboon or a chimp or maybe a ( dang, I can't spell it....the reddish orange one ), you're just an ape. I could call you a neanderthal ( sp ? ) but you started as an ape so you're an ape. If a trumpet is a bugle because it evolved from a bugle than you are an ape because of your evolution. ( your logic)

Yes, the "activity" is much more intense than most high school or college bands, but DCI is no longer drum & bugle corps. If you want to use the term "drum corps" instead of drum and bugle corps thats ok too. But to parade around in buses and trucks with "drum & bugle corps" painted on the side is an outright lie or very misleading at the very least.

I'll agree to call it "drum corps" as the activity has evolved and is now more of a mix breed than it once was but if you cross breed an apple with an orange and end up with the skin of an apple but the textures and taste of an orange, do you still call it an apple ? :worthy: and don't say we can't argue apples and oranges because we are talking about evolution and cross breeding. Maybe you should watch "Toot, Whistle, Pluck and Boom " the old Disney 20 miute cartoon on evolution of instruments.

As a high school band director for 30+ years, I'm amazed at your argument. Maybe you should sit in on some of my general music classes sometimes, I'm sure you can learn more about logical thinking. I will also be happy to explain the finer points of picking flea #### out of pepper. :worthy: ( just don't argue with Davis, he will not refund your money on the dead parrot)

Is Dr. Pepper a Coke ? No ( even though some parts of the country call all soft drinks " Coke". Technally, they are incorrect. They might both be called sodas or soft drinks or cold drinks, but not all sodas are Coke. Not all bands are drum corps, but all corps are bands ( $1 to Davis) Once upon a time way before I was born there were drum and bugle corps, but to some degree ALL corps have evolved away from that musical idenity ( with the possible exception of The Old Guard that uses valveless bugles ? ). Other than intensity and practice schedules, what is the difference in the make up of the group ?

Lets just call it Marching Music's Major League. Even DCI realizes it ain't drum and bugle corps anymore and only use the term when a buck can be made off of it. I have no problem with that term.

But lets face it, in the grand scheme of things, no matter what you or I say, DCI doesn't give a rats ### about us or the fans. It's mostly about courting the band marketplace.

Step Right Up Sir

Yes, for just $100 under list price you too can own a trumpet that was used by the world championship marching giant elf corps from the university of Southern North Dakota at Hoople.

Marketing my friend, it's all just about marketing and the King of marketing George Hopkins said it in Miami.

Hey, if we ever meet, I'll buy you a beer ( might taste like horse ####, but really, it's beer. I just let the hopps and grains ferment in the horse before serving it ) :worthy:

(Yes Mike Davis, at this point I'm all for woodwinds. But I think it should be Flutes & pics, clarinets, saxes ( C melody) and bassoons, LOTS of bassoons. We need some difficulty added to shows and I think 24 bassoons jazz running and playing could be fun )