I brought a first date to a drum corps show

My wife will never see a corps live...she's a bit sensitive to loud noises, and while WE would get great joy from sitting 6 feet froma cranking snare line (me right in front of Lee Rudnicki during Renegades' DCA 06 post finals parking lot run), she'd hear one good rim shot and get a raging headache....

Still, she CAN and has seen the occasional show on dvd and can appreciate the work we put into it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife will never see a corps live...she's a bit sensitive to loud noises, and while WE would get great joy from sitting 6 feet froma cranking snare line (me right in front of Lee Rudnicki during Renegades' DCA 06 post finals parking lot run), she'd hear one good rim shot and get a raging headache....

Still, she CAN and has seen the occasional show on dvd and can appreciate the work we put into it.

4 words: Bose Noise Reduction Headphones.

Garry in Vegas

I took my then-fiancée (now wife) to her first-ever show in '97, where she fell in love with Madison. She still loves that Pirates show.

While she likes drum corps well enough, she'll never enjoy it as much as I do. And that's okay. She doesn't merely tolerate my fanaticism passion, she supports it. She usually goes with me to local shows, we went to finals in '06 (anniversary present), and attended both Houston shows with me this year. :thumbup:

Corps after corps performed and she would go on about how x and y were great, but they weren’t better than The Crossmen. She would hold her breathe when the guard’s rifles went in the air and clap for a great soloist. We made plans to travel to the 2010 Allentown, PA show before the fourth corps had even stepped off. She was finally understanding why I had been so excited for this one night.

He should marry her. All other shortcomings and transgressions can be forgiven.

My own wife this summer was exasperated in the attempt to explain why I would be away for a few days for drum corps. When friends would inquire where I was going, unable or unwilling to describe where I was going or why, she would exclaim peremptorily: "I don't know. He's going to band camp."

HH

Cute story

I was lucky enough to marry someone who marched in drum corps (Stardusters, Bleu Raeders) and now that we're back in the USA (back since 2004) we now spend our summers following the drum corps circuit shows throughout the southwest (ABQ, Denver, Dallas, SA). She likes (and has always liked) Madison-Cavies and I have a soft spot for the Santa Clara Vanguard. We both love going to drum corps shows and look forward to the time we can also drag along our grandkids. If your a real drum corps nut - marry someone who marched in drum corps - life will be grand!!!

:thumbup:

My wife had NO idea that drum corps existed until I met her. We met in 94, and she saw her first drum corps show in 95. She was so thrilled, she said "If I had known about drum corps, I would have marched in a rifle line!" She's been to countless shows since, and when SCV was staying at my school this summer (I hosted), she threw a HUGE party for the drum and vis staff at my house, complete with 200$+ of "adult beverages", steaks, baked artichoke dip, and corn-on-the-cob! And SHE went shopping! Nothing like seeing some of DCI's top caption heads making friends with my wife! PRICELESS!

She has since supported me, from my touring, writing, teaching, etc. Never once has she questioned me, or my devotion to education, no matter the personal cost to her or myself. She's a keeper!

She IS a band director's wife! And....she's HOT, to boot! I feel like I won the lottery! :thumbup:

My first date with the girl who is now my wife was 20 years ago to see the Pat Metheny Group - she loved it. A few weeks later, we were in Allentown to watch corps - I loved it. To this day, we still get to a lot of corps shows (and Finals), we never miss PMG shows and, until his departure, never missed Maynard Ferguson shows. Now if I could just get her to watch Family Guy......

I remember taking a gf to a local drum corps show. This while I was still a marching member. It was painfully obvious she didn't enjoy the experience. One comment in particular was very offensive. She said the drum corps people reminded her of

"carnival types." Perhaps her being from Beverly Hills had something to do with her offensive and pius atitude? Needless to say I never dated her again, my choice! Ironically, a year later I saw her again at, of all things, a drum corps show. Much to my surprise she had joined a rival corps and was in the guard!! I guess she changed her mind and decided to join the ranks of us "carnival types."

The irony of it all!

Did you ask her why she chose to join the carnival?

My wife marched high school band and had never seen a drum corps. I showed her some video of old school corps in action and she fell in love with the guard work. She's now part of our guard. She doesn't even blink when I mention having to travel with Kansan somewhere on corps business or mention planning to see a show, as it's just a part of our lives.