I brought a first date to a drum corps show

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My second date with my ex was to the Houston show in '08. It was actually only the day after our first date and I just invited her on a whim. The fact that she thoroughly enjoyed this important part of my life so much is one reason why I think I probably held on to her longer than I should have after the "Red Flags" started rearing their ugly heads. I was actually surprised at how much she liked it. Unfortunately, I swallowed her hook when she said "beauty is beauty. I appreciate it no matter what form it's in."

Did you ask her why she chose to join the carnival?

Sort of. I mentioned to her that I was happy she decided to become one of us "carnival types." She just smiled. Never had much to do with her after that. She marched two years and then I never saw her again. She was one beautiful girl.

I've actually taken a few dates to shows over the years. The first was a girl I dated for the summer and she had been in her high school guard. She appreciated the event and ranked it right up there with some of the other artsy stuff we did that summer. It ended a month or so later. I took another long time gf to a local show once, we bother enjoyed the show and went out to dinner later that evening....sorry to say the show was early season and didn't really leave a lasting impression on her.

I dated my last ex for a year. I took her to Allentown on a Saturday night to see the show, and she did seem to enjoy it. She was an artistic type and had an appreciation for music. The thing that really bothered me is that she didn't want to stay for the scores, so we headed out of the stadium. On purpose I lagged slowly so I could hear the scores from outside the stadium and she got ticked! She would bring up several times later (when discussing things...never really argued) how I had to stay for scores at the "band thingy" when she wanted to go. Turns out she wanted to make last call at her regular Sat night bar, even though we were two hours away....what a real B-word.

My current GF marched a season in my corps after I aged out. I met her in corps and saw her at shows during the summer. Heck, at my first Allentown show with a date I ran into her after not seeing her for a few years and we exchanged emails to stay in touch. Two years later we are dating and hopefully will get married. She likes corps and puts up with my passion for it. I don't really go to a lot of shows, but I love reading DCP and will watch fan network now and then. She even let me put the computer on the kitchen table during dinner for the FN San Antonio broadcast. She's a keeper.

i slowly introduced my boyfriend to corps this season. first, a community concert where academy did a standstill. then, academy's indoor stage show. then, the dress rehearsal.... then the glendale show, followed by the denver show. he is a fan.... and to quote him "i don't really like brass much but that was cool" he is much more of a string-appreciator. i won another one over!

i slowly introduced my boyfriend to corps this season. first, a community concert where academy did a standstill. then, academy's indoor stage show. then, the dress rehearsal.... then the glendale show, followed by the denver show. he is a fan.... and to quote him "i don't really like brass much but that was cool" he is much more of a string-appreciator. i won another one over!

Play him that vignette from one of the old broadcasts where Jay Kennedy's talking about 87 Garfield....there's a freaking PERFECT section where the corps is marching the show, but you hear the string section from the source music over it....then it transitions seamlessly to the brass playing.

Probably the best example I've ever seen.