Corps Box Truck

I wish we had a different category for posts like this.

We had a Box truck donated to us and I was wondering if the expense if maintaining the vehicle is worth the trouble?

Having the truck would solve transportation problems for pit equipment we are working on getting.

I tend to favor a trailer pulled by a conventional trailer hitch. I saw what happened to Dreams truck a couple years ago and it seemed like a pain.

A trailer could be pulled by another vehicle if the pulling vehicle were to break down and if a box truck breaks down your kind of stuck until the truck gets fixed.

Is it sort of a status symbol to have a corps truck emblazoned with Corps logo?

Any thoughts and experiences are welcome.

The issue with Dream's truck on the way home from 04 was due to driver error, but your point is valid, as the cost of grepair and getting the truck home was a major factor in Dream not going back in 05.

My problem with a trailer -- especially one large enough to carry pit and other gear -- is it's likely to be a different deal than towing a smaller one. A box truck is much easier to maneuver....don't have to worry about jackknifing the overall unit.

But hey...if you got one donated, great for you guys! Get it checked out and repaired (if necessary) and use it...consider renting it out (with a driver) for local bands as a way to make more money off of it.

It's not about prestige....it's about getting your corps around.

'04 was most definately driver error. Wasn't me, I started driving after that problem. Last year, the rental truck had problems. I should have just told them to get me a new truck if I knew it was going to be that involved to get it repaired on the road. The best part about renting, which was the final outcome last year, is that if you do breakdown, you call the company and they have to deal with it so it's not out of the corps wallet.

Trailers are nice, if you have someone willing to put the wear and tear on their own vehicle. I did that this year since our pit was smaller and it was cheaper. However, I would not use my truck to go across country.

The disadvantage to renting is creating a shelf system to maximize the storage. I designed a system 2 years ago that works really great and didnt cost very much. It is adaptable to any size truck. Disadvantages to owning is having to pay insurance and storage fees all year long. Then there is oil changes, tires and repairs. You never know what will happen. God forbid you have an accident on the road. With a rental, you call them up and they will exchange the truck. You reload and go on down the road. If you own it, you will end up renting a truck to get on down the road.

If you do decide to go the rental route, I suggest setting up a commercial account with Budget. You will get a better rate than anyone else will give and then you can get $1m liability on the rental contract. When you set up a commercial account, tell them you are budgeted for about $7,000+ in rentals per year.

Congrats on the donation.

Assuming the vehicle is road worthy, it might be a good thing to have.

If you anticipate a storage need, think about the environmental impact on what you are storing. Some instruments do fine in an uncontrolled environment, others don't. If you would store the equipment in one of those unheated self-storage units, it will probably be fine in the truck. I don't know what the going rate is for a self-storage unit with roughly the same dimensions as the box on the truck, but you can use that figure to balance out the fixed expenses of the truck. Not having to move equipment to and from storage for every rehearsal can be a big plus. Even if you end up renting a vehicle for a long-haul trip, it still might be worth having the truck for local runs - not to mention the free billboard space on the sides of the box.

For expenses, if you can reasonably estimate your annual mileage and use drivers over 25 years old, you might do better on insurance. Talk to an agent and see what can be done. Don't skimp on liability coverage. I have a company mini-van that is used to pick up the mail and run local errands on which we carry $1 million in liability coverage. Also figure in the costs of fuel, preventive maintenance (oil changes, etc.) and then add a percentage for contingencies. If you can park it in a safe place for free, you'll save quite a bit of money.

You should also have insurance on your equipment but it should be separate from any truck contents insurance. The equipment insurance coverage should extend to member-owned equipment when in use for corps purposes.

Congrats on the donation.

Assuming the vehicle is road worthy, it might be a good thing to have.

If you anticipate a storage need, think about the environmental impact on what you are storing. Some instruments do fine in an uncontrolled environment, others don't. If you would store the equipment in one of those unheated self-storage units, it will probably be fine in the truck. I don't know what the going rate is for a self-storage unit with roughly the same dimensions as the box on the truck, but you can use that figure to balance out the fixed expenses of the truck. Not having to move equipment to and from storage for every rehearsal can be a big plus. Even if you end up renting a vehicle for a long-haul trip, it still might be worth having the truck for local runs - not to mention the free billboard space on the sides of the box.

For expenses, if you can reasonably estimate your annual mileage and use drivers over 25 years old, you might do better on insurance. Talk to an agent and see what can be done. Don't skimp on liability coverage. I have a company mini-van that is used to pick up the mail and run local errands on which we carry $1 million in liability coverage. Also figure in the costs of fuel, preventive maintenance (oil changes, etc.) and then add a percentage for contingencies. If you can park it in a safe place for free, you'll save quite a bit of money.

You should also have insurance on your equipment but it should be separate from any truck contents insurance. The equipment insurance coverage should extend to member-owned equipment when in use for corps purposes.

I'm storing equipment in my garage which is not climate controlled and a storage unit which is smallet that the Truck box. the Storage unit costs $74.00 per month and has pretty good security.

There are a couple storage companies a ouple more miles away that would be able to store the truck. If I can get the same rstorage rate or cheaper that would be OK. We will be storing Battery Drums, Some Bugles, some color Guard Equipment and soon we will have a couple Mallet Key boards.

Our longest trips for a while will be Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, St Peter and St. Paul for the Full Corps where we would probably need the Truck.

The Mini corps will probably use the Trailer we have and those trips will be to Illinios and Wisconsin.

I'm pretty sure if we ever end up going to Finals we would rent a trucka nd avoid the big disaster.

Our biggest expense on this truck will be the initial repairs which look to be minor. I'm thinking we will need a tune up on the engine, alignment and a little body work on the left side of the box where one panel of siding got taken out by another truck.

This think should come in real handy for our local gigs as it has a lift.

At least half our Corps is over 30 with the probable Drivers being 0ver 40. The truck doesn't require a CDL but we have two CDL holders.

I'm storing equipment in my garage which is not climate controlled and a storage unit which is smallet that the Truck box. the Storage unit costs $74.00 per month and has pretty good security.

There are a couple storage companies a ouple more miles away that would be able to store the truck. If I can get the same rstorage rate or cheaper that would be OK. We will be storing Battery Drums, Some Bugles, some color Guard Equipment and soon we will have a couple Mallet Key boards.

Our longest trips for a while will be Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, St Peter and St. Paul for the Full Corps where we would probably need the Truck.

The Mini corps will probably use the Trailer we have and those trips will be to Illinios and Wisconsin.

I'm pretty sure if we ever end up going to Finals we would rent a trucka nd avoid the big disaster.

Our biggest expense on this truck will be the initial repairs which look to be minor. I'm thinking we will need a tune up on the engine, alignment and a little body work on the left side of the box where one panel of siding got taken out by another truck.

This think should come in real handy for our local gigs as it has a lift.

At least half our Corps is over 30 with the probable Drivers being 0ver 40. The truck doesn't require a CDL but we have two CDL holders.

I've used lift gates and to be honest, sometimes a ramp is easier. Nothing like having your equipment roll off the lift gate. If you own the trailer, check into having a towing setup installed on the truck. Even if it isn't the preferred method of transport, having the option of pulling the trailer with the truck will be nice. I'm not an expert on USDOT rules, but you might want to be sure you don't need any special permits. Other corps folks should be able to help you sort all that out.

When I first joined my current corps, they where a parade and exhibition corps. We carried all of our battery and pit stuff on a trailer and the horns kept their horns with them. As we grew in size, we quickly out grew the trailer and eventually bought a truck to haul everything. Now, after our first competitive season, we are starting to outgrow the one truck. My suggestion is examining what EXACTLY you will be hauling. If its full battery, pit and guard stuff, then get a truck. I have seen competing corps use trailers but a truck will give you room to adapt. And as for storage of the truck, ask your membership often SOMEONE has a place they can put it for the off season. Hope this helps! Growing a corps is always a challenge. :lol:

Pro's - you have a truck that can travel and hold all you need at the moment. Also makes a good billboard.

Con's - expense and limitations of a truck. The truck can only hold 2 people. extra registration and insurance plus maintenance. also limits on capacity. being stranded either way you have to trust your equipment vehicle

If I was starting from scratch - I would go with 20 ft. trailer minimum and make sure you have a truck capable of towing it.

I have seen some other corps rent a 24 ft box truck. Renting vs owning may make more sense. but you may have storage needs.

we were also fortunate to get a donated box truck from Heatwave and used it last year. We towed a borrowed 7 x 16 trailer with it as the pit equipment would not all fit in the truck. The truck had sat for awhile and I blew out 2 tires and 2 trailer tires on Rt 95 on the way to Manassa,Va. (long story). Ended up replacing all tires. All brass and most of the battery went on the bus.

This year we used a Ford Van that holds 8 passengers and a 8x20 trailer. (borrowed - not owned). and all brass and most battery is under the bus. Personally I like that better as it's more comfortable and you can drop the trailer and have a support vehicle that can do errands at events. The box truck is mostly a storage vehicle right now but can be used if needed especially if we do local events and parades. If we lost the borrowed trailers we could buy or rent a trailer and tow with the box truck.

Edited by paradiddle

we started with a small trailer, it was kinda like the clowns getting in and out of the mini car at the circus, but it served us well............then we moved up to a truck,................I gotta say, it saves us a ton of time.................everything we need is on board, and then some, spare instruments, parts, catering stuff, water jugs, the works!......................get in, start it up, and drive it to wherever.............

Edited by Gary Matczak

CV started with a small trailer for everything. It took a Tetris Master to pack that thing! Then had a box truck that wasn't built out. We built it out my first year. From the pit side, the truck was a blessing and a curse. We had room for everything, and were able to protect our equipment, but the loading ramp was too narrow for all keyboards save one and when it rained, that ramp was slick as oil. Plus, the floor of the truck was almost shoulder high, which meant quite a push on that short ramp. We stored everything in there one year. The next two we used the truck for percussion, guard & field equipment (inc water jugs) and the trailer for horns. (The truck towed the trailer and you should have seen that thing fling around on the open road!) The cost of upkeep on the truck was getting unmanagable, so the next season we purchased a long trailer with a drop down door/ramp and used the 2 trailers for the next 2 years. We stored instruments in the trailer year-round when we couldn't find space at our rehearsal site. We'd take the long trailer on short trips and use both for long trips by either renting or borrowing F-150's. But that was as of 2 years ago. I've passed on my title of Truck B!tch to the next generation of pit people, and don't know what they're using these days.