2009 DVDs

DVD questions  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy World Class DVDs for 2009?

• no
    • yes, but only the top 12 DVD
    • yes, but only the top 13-22 DVD
    • yes, all of the World Class DVDs
  2. 2. How many years of World Class DVDs (top 12 or otherwise) have you bought from 2003-2008

• none
    • 6 (one from every year)
  3. 3. If you said "no" to question number 1, would you reconsider if they were on Blu Ray

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm buying at least 1 DVD from 2009 no matter what

Just curious

I will not be purchasing the DVD's, and haven't bought ANY DVD's from DCI (though I own a few individual corps' DVD's). I probably won't buy any unless:

1) DCI doesn't something like WGI: produce either a 'fan favorite' "greatest hits" type of DVD, and/or a 'create your own' mix-type DVD

2) DCI drops the prices on the DVD's to make them reasonable (Finals for WGI World DVD's, if pre-ordered, were about $35). I'll settle for a no-frills DVD version of just the shows if it means a cheaper price

3) DCI offers Blu-ray at an affordable price

I know that the DVD's are DCI's bread and butter, but I think they're a bit expensive and always have been. IMO, it's a MUCH better investment to subscribe to DCI's Fan Network for a low yearly cost and have access to the Finals performances through the years.

I would agree on the price. I think you could probably get 3x the people to buy finals at half the price. 100 bucks is a bit much. DVD should be 50, bluray $75.

Plus, the more people that have dvds, the more people get introduced to drum corps. Sell for $50 and attract fans (and their money) for life, or sell for $100, less exposure, and you dont get as many fans (and their money)

I mean seriously, its a 2 disc set. There are some other dvds that approach the price point DCI is at, but theyre several disc sets.

Edited by alarson83

<Probably> yes to all (top 12), but I'm in no rush this year. First, I want to hear what some others think of the sound and video quality-- nervous about Lucas Oil sound, and want to hear that others think the picture quality is where it should be for standard DVD, as it was not last year IMO with the jump to widescreen without anamamorphic, but should be okay this year since they used HD cameras and should be able to do widescreen anamamorphic with no problem.

Edited by Peel Paint

I don't care about the price , I am really hoping for a Blu Ray version .

When the DVD's arrive , it is one of my favorite events of the year.

I have a home theater set-up and I spend much time looking for the nuances in each show,

AND CRANK THE SOUND when my wife leaves the house.

I also purchase the all age dvd's , complete with the alumni package.

It may seem like a lot of money , but in my mind it is money well spent.

I will not be purchasing the DVD's, and haven't bought ANY DVD's from DCI (though I own a few individual corps' DVD's). I probably won't buy any unless:

1) DCI doesn't something like WGI: produce either a 'fan favorite' "greatest hits" type of DVD, and/or a 'create your own' mix-type DVD

2) DCI drops the prices on the DVD's to make them reasonable (Finals for WGI World DVD's, if pre-ordered, were about $35). I'll settle for a no-frills DVD version of just the shows if it means a cheaper price

3) DCI offers Blu-ray at an affordable price

I know that the DVD's are DCI's bread and butter, but I think they're a bit expensive and always have been. IMO, it's a MUCH better investment to subscribe to DCI's Fan Network for a low yearly cost and have access to the Finals performances through the years.

I know they've dropped the prices of the Legacy Colleection to $29 and of 2000-2007 $39, but yeah $99 for the new year DVD is expensive, esp. when I then have to convert to CDN $ and pay shipping.

I'll usually buy the top 12 DVD but certainly not right away, I'll typically wait until April or so to buy it to get me pumped up again for the upcoming season (and also because by then the price will have dropped significantly).

I've bought the quarterfinal dvds from the years I marched and they are certainly worthwhile, fun to go back and see shows like Southwind and Esperanza so I'm not an advocate of buying ONLY top 12 but top 12 is my intended purchase this year (despite not having crossmen or madison scouts' shows).

I've purchased every DVD back to 1986, including Legacy DVDs, non-finalist DVDs, even Div II/III/Open Class DVDs. I've already pre-ordered the complete bundle for this year, including the CDs which I get every year as well. Sure I'd like if they were less expensive, but I'm already agreeing to the price point as it is currently so I can't really complain. I also think DCI has become rather decent about discounting older merchandise, so if I didn't value the DVDs as highly as I do I could get a good deal by waiting another year or so. I don't own a Blu-Ray player yet, so it wouldn't affect my decision.