Jazz Run

SO I know there have been many topics on here about jazz run technique and what not. What I wanted to ask about was what people thought of corps that jazz run a 6 to 5 step size. I have noticed (or maybe it is me just paying more attention) that more and more corps seem to be ditching the idea that a 6 to 5 is a marchable step size and instead jazz running it. I am curious what you guys think. Should corps only jazz run 4 to 5? Does it really matter? Do you notice it? How bout it....

SO I know there have been many topics on here about jazz run technique and what not. What I wanted to ask about was what people thought of corps that jazz run a 6 to 5 step size. I have noticed (or maybe it is me just paying more attention) that more and more corps seem to be ditching the idea that a 6 to 5 is a marchable step size and instead jazz running it. I am curious what you guys think. Should corps only jazz run 4 to 5? Does it really matter? Do you notice it? How bout it....

I've noticed. Personally, I don't really care too much as long as the drill move in question is a) uniformly marched b) clean and c) keeps brass tone quality as good as possible. I sometimes roll my eyes when I see a corps jazz run at a step size that is obtainable via regular marching technique, but as long as it's clean and uniform it doesn't really matter. I assume that the jazz running at 6 to 5 is done for one or more of the above reasons, so I don't care much.

It seems to me that Phantom switches to a jazz run at about a 5 to 5. For me, I think at certain tempos, switching to a jazz run at a 6 or 5 to 5 is reasonable, especially if it helps keep the feet in time and the sound and tone smooth.

As someone who has marched in both hornlines and in color guard, I can say I've had to use jazz runs many times. When I was in high school, we used a jazz run at fast tempos to cover ground. It's not necessarily about uniform marching style across-the-band (as in heel lead and toe lead), but about velocity differences and distance. It can actually be very effective if certain sections of an ensemble are heel-lead marching while others are jazz running - if it's written and executed well. I've especially noticed over the last 8-10 years in high school bands participating in BOA contests that they will utilize jazz running, especially in percussion features. It's all about design and execution.

You also have to take into account people's height or how long their legs are. There were many times where when I marched, some of us had to take a 6 to 5 step size; many of us were comfortable marching it, but a lot of shorter people or people with shorter legs HAD to run to make their dots.

I feel like Phantom and Cavies jazz run at a 7 to 5 a lot and it just looks silly. Although I don't think Cavies technically jazz run (They still do heel-first at large step sizes, right? I could be wrong). Either way, they (the Cavaliers) lose a ton of height at pretty not-so-big step sizes, and it looks odd.

6-to-5 isn't really a jazz-run-worthy step size, although it can depend on the person's height, as well as the direction changes into and out of that phrase. If you've got a flying back up into a 6-to-5 forward or a 6-to-5 forward into a large move backwards in the opposite direction it can be easier to control your weight and keep time through the direction change by using a jazz-run technique. Doesn't look as cool, but is probably easier.

I think jazz running looks dumb at anything smaller than a 5-to-5 (except when used for effect like Phantom 2007).

Edited by Hrothgar15

I feel like Phantom and Cavies jazz run at a 7 to 5 a lot and it just looks silly. Although I don't think Cavies technically jazz run (They still do heel-first at large step sizes, right? I could be wrong). Either way, they (the Cavaliers) lose a ton of height at pretty not-so-big step sizes, and it looks odd.

No. Toe-lead, level change, etc. I don't think I ever used jazz run technique at > 5 to 5.