Woodwinds in Drum Corps?

Isn't it drum and BUGLE corps. Woodwinds are a no no. I will lose all faith in the world. And DCI, I will never go to a show again.

Horns are not 'bugles', and there are a lot more percussion instruments than 'drums', plus electronics and vocals.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the first things I would tell people when talking about drum corps is "It IS NOT marching band. Drum corps is cool. Marching band is not." Those days, it seems, are coming closer to an end.

Even back in 1970 my non-corps friends NEVER thought of corps as 'cool' and band as 'not cool'..both were looked on as geeky bands...'not cool' at all.

true but....

how many people pay a ton of money to see drum corps shows, and how many people that dont have kids on the field pay to see marching band shows?

yet they keep trying to make it marching band

People are paying to see the best...happens to be DCI organizations. People did not pay to see Garden State Circuit corps compete in the 60's and 70's when I marched, taught and judged there...they paid to see the best...top corps. Add saxes to the BD and they are still BD...and people will still pay to see them, because they are the best.

Even back in 1970 my non-corps friends NEVER thought of corps as 'cool' and band as 'not cool'..both were looked on as geeky bands...'not cool' at all.

Well, then those friends are not open and will never get it. The ones who are open, and then see a drumline like SCV warming up, will get it.

Add saxes to the BD and they are still BD...and people will still pay to see them, because they are the best.

Meh. I will not pay to see them, as I think a good number of others won't either. Be careful what you wish for Mike.

Oh, IMO it's not happening any time soon, but it would be a good thing if it did.

Do you really think saxs, clarinets, whatever look good marching on the field? Really, I can understand the debate in wanting the voice but I'm sorry going on eight years in a marching band woodwinds just do not look good on the field especially when there are any visuals like horn moves being done.

Do you really think saxs, clarinets, whatever look good marching on the field? Really, I can understand the debate in wanting the voice but I'm sorry going on eight years in a marching band woodwinds just do not look good on the field especially when there are any visuals like horn moves being done.

Yes, they look fine. I've been around corps style MB since 1971, and IMO they look just fine.

Yes, they look fine. I've been around corps style MB since 1971, and IMO they look just fine.

Well we differ greatly in that respect. Just to give my opinion:

Do woodwinds look good doing...

1. Horns to the box? Nope...

2. Park'n'Bark? Negatory...

3. Horns down? Nope... especially since the clarinets and saxophones don't actually go "down"...

You get the idea.