Woodwinds in Drum Corps?

Woodwinds in drum corps. There's one thing that boggles my mind, and it's in a question, or two... maybe three, that I can't really answer for myself for the drum corps community.

Will Woodwinds kill the drum corps activity?

Will drum corps fan still go to watch drum corps even if there are woodwinds?

What kind controversy will be expected to spark if having woodwinds in drum corps did get passed by the BoD?

Will anyone in drum corps ever respect the activity again?

Please be mature about it. I may be 19 and will be a drum corps fan when i'm older obviously, but I hate the way the BoD are killing the activity and making modern DCI a big joke to today's old classic drum corps fans and current drum corps advocates and members. I hate to see such an honourable challenging sport go down the drain because of some stupid irrational decisions being made by the BoD. Someone got to step up to the plate and say change it back, I might as well do that when I age out and take a stand at DCI, but something's got to be done NOW before it's to late, and it starts with YOU, the drum corps fans.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of dodging your questions cuz I think (gasp hope) they're irrelevant.

I just don't see how woodwinds could make it through the wear and tear of a tour...too many hours exposed to sweat, sun, and rain.

Second, most likely it would require a very large increase in membership limits. I guess they could carve it out of other captions but that just doesn't sound feasible to me.

Third, woodwinds are more expensive than horns...ie cost prohibitive.

Fourth, would you have another caption to staff?

I may be putting my head in the sand because I can't deal with the possibility, but I just don't think it will ever happen. If it's legalized, you may see Cadets and some other corps putz around with them the same way they did with over narration, and then reality will set in and they'll fade like many other fads in DC.

In the next few years I don't see why woodwind soloists in the pit won't be allowed. Blue Stars gave us a little preview of that with their clarinet.

In the next few years I don't see why woodwind soloists in the pit won't be allowed. Blue Stars gave us a little preview of that with their clarinet.

gulp...now that seems feasible...crap...but atleast they would be limited to the pit. I can't stand how they "look" on the field...the way their instruments make their body carriage look so...well...not good.

I'm kind of dodging your questions cuz I think (gasp hope) they're irrelevant.

I just don't see how woodwinds could make it through the wear and tear of a tour...too many hours exposed to sweat, sun, and rain.

Second, most likely it would require a very large increase in membership limits. I guess they could carve it out of other captions but that just doesn't sound feasible to me.

Third, woodwinds are more expensive than horns...ie cost prohibitive.

Fourth, would you have another caption to staff?

I may be putting my head in the sand because I can't deal with the possibility, but I just don't think it will ever happen. If it's legalized, you may see Cadets and some other corps putz around with them the same way they did with over narration, and then reality will set in and they'll fade like many other fads in DC.

Wow, go to Open Class and read Teal Sounds thread. It's what they are talking about there. It's apparently a big thing this year and I want to know if it was :P.

I agree that this is pretty likely. If you can play a sax-sounding solo on a keyboard, why can't you just play it on a saxophone? I can't imagine any corps trying to field a woodwind section though, regardless of the rules. Nobody who wants to be competitive is going to drop a bunch of brass & guard spots to make room for a barely-audible clarinet line.