DCA SOUTH OPINION

DCA SOUTH  

90 members have voted

1. 1. who is the biggest thread in the south?

• Corpsvets
    • Music City Legend
    • Alliance
  2. 2. Who have the best most entertaining show this season?

• Corpsvets
    • Music City Legend
    • Alliance
  3. 3. Is Alliance having the best year for a new Open class Corps?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. Slither. From one who won't post their name.

Well, I'm going to make an attempt at a rational comment about the northeastern v. southern scoring. Our staff at ALLIANCE was just discussing what could be causing these differentials. One possibility could be that corps like the Kilties, Brigs and Bush are going head-to-head against the powerhouses like MBI, ES, and Cabs. A large part of judging is based on spreads between corps and when judges know someone like MBI is going to bust 90, the corps behind them tend to get "sucked up".

The southern corps have historically been in the bottom few finalist spots, and we are all being scored in that range right now. Again, that is just one theory. Take it for what it's worth. We don't really care about these differentials at all because we understand that scoring trends are going to be different in different regions, no matter what. Just like the west coast v. east coast scores in DCI. And we also agree that it would be beneficial to go up north earlier in the year, if possible. But, as it's been said 1000 times before, everything will shake out at Prelims!

And "cadetsfan", we are going to "slither" as hard as we can!

Or maybe its just simply the Brigs and Bushwackers got alot better from the early July shows?

i just want to explain why i created this poll. i heard so many good and band thing about south corps from spectators and corps members. i wanted to know who is really the fans favorite corps from the south. Also, wanted people to give some opinions over the corps so maybe designers or staff can look at what the spectators will like to see from the corps. I don't think there is a good or bad opinion. Only speak what you really feel about this corps.

Or maybe its just simply the Brigs and Bushwackers got alot better from the early July shows?

Definitely a possibility! What I stated was just a theory.

We shall see what Prelims brings!

I just want to remind the folks in this thread that Bush is famous for their late-season pushes. They are in the midst of one right now, so it's highly possible that the scores are indeed accurate. And that's no slam on the southern corps either.

KY would be a little closer to halfway... of course Louisville isn't that far from Cinci. What about Lexington?

The Cincinnati city limits literally end at Kentucky on the city's south side. Cincinnati, Louisville and Lexington are within 90 minutes of each other, or near enough. Which is one reason I've suggested a Winter standstill circuit to anyone who will listen.

MBI to Cincinnati is 11 hours and 12 minutes, CorpsVets to Cincinnati is 7 hours and 5 minutes, Shenandoah Sound to Cincinnati is 8 hour 40 minutes and Prairie Sound is 9 hours 25 minutes.

So, if 11 hours is a painfully long, but doable drive, you could have a DCA-S vs. DCA-C throwdown of:

Alliance, CorpsVets, Govenaires, Kilties, Lakeshoremen, MBI, MCL, and Shenandoah Sound. Plus a mini-corps show with Chops Inc., Cincinnati Tradition, Derby City Knights, Prairie Sound and Star United.

A more practical seven hours drive would let Alliance, CorpsVets, Kilties, Lakeshoremen, MCL, Cincinnati Tradition, Derby City Knights and Star United get there groove on Saturday night and then move 90 minutes along the road the next morning to get a second read Sunday afternoon. And did I mention "and appearing in exhibition, from Bloomington, Indiana..."

I know, I know. As my grandpa used to say: talk is cheap, it takes money to buy a pint of whiskey.

Robert

The Cincinnati city limits literally end at Kentucky on the city's south side. Cincinnati, Louisville and Lexington are within 90 minutes of each other, or near enough. Which is one reason I've suggested a Winter standstill circuit to anyone who will listen.

MBI to Cincinnati is 11 hours and 12 minutes, CorpsVets to Cincinnati is 7 hours and 5 minutes, Shenandoah Sound to Cincinnati is 8 hour 40 minutes and Prairie Sound is 9 hours 25 minutes.

So, if 11 hours is a painfully long, but doable drive, you could have a DCA-S vs. DCA-C throwdown of:

Alliance, CorpsVets, Govenaires, Kilties, Lakeshoremen, MBI, MCL, and Shenandoah Sound. Plus a mini-corps show with Chops Inc., Cincinnati Tradition, Derby City Knights, Prairie Sound and Star United.

A more practical seven hours drive would let Alliance, CorpsVets, Kilties, Lakeshoremen, MCL, Cincinnati Tradition, Derby City Knights and Star United get there groove on Saturday night and then move 90 minutes along the road the next morning to get a second read Sunday afternoon. And did I mention "and appearing in exhibition, from Bloomington, Indiana..."

I know, I know. As my grandpa used to say: talk is cheap, it takes money to buy a pint of whiskey.

Robert

Yes, this is an excellent midway point for multiple corps to meet. also a fairly short haul for judges.

But do you think we could attract a crowd? Cincinnati is a somewhat conservative city....

It would take an enourmous amount of cooperation from local band directors (college and H.S.)

I would love to see this show at nippert or even NKU. But the buckets of money it would take to secure nippert stadium is cost prohibitive. Plus the parking situation there is not ideal these days.

Probably best to secure a H.S. stadium. Fairfield? All boils down to our ability to draw a crowd.

I just want to remind the folks in this thread that Bush is famous for their late-season pushes. They are in the midst of one right now, so it's highly possible that the scores are indeed accurate. And that's no slam on the southern corps either.

You are certainly correct, but it's not like Bush is the only example.

Take the Central region scores. We don't know that Govies aren't genuinely only 8 tenths behind CV, 5 tenths behind Alliance and a full point ahead of MCL, but I think it's natural to suspect that something is wonky with those numbers given history, corps size, etc.. To say nothing of CV, Alliance and MCL being 2-4 points behind Kilties.

It'll all be sorted out in Rochester, but I'd bet a good amount of money that the prelims results will not look much at all like the compiled scores do right now.

It'll all be sorted out in Rochester, but I'd bet a good amount of money that the prelims results will not look much at all like the compiled scores do right now.

Right you are Alan. After marching HW so long, we both know that the current scores don't mean anything until all corps can compete head to head. Everything will be sorted in Rochester. Some will like their placements, and some won't. That's just how it is.