Drum corps in the next Olympics

I would just offer the vast majority of academia in music I've ever met have major issues with the competitive aspect of drum corps -- or competition of any kind in the artistic world. I would guess it would lack certain ... holistic support from the academic community.

You, are on the right road.

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blue Devils came over and blew everyone away at the world music contest in kerkrade in 2005. Its a hell of a trip for american corps but a great venue and it also means i get to see the big boys(and girls!) in the flesh!

I think that every 4 years at least 5 DCI/DCA corps should come over and participate.

then we could have a 'DCI European Regional' and inspire people over here to greater things.

Heck, they should have finals over there whatever year that is they aren't in Indy-a-no-place.

Makes as much sense as some of their other recent decisions...

Always been an idea of mine is....

Have sub-circuts of DCI, send the top corps from each circut to "World" Championships (Actual World Champsionships)

We could have DCI - American Circut, DCI -Asian Circut, DCI Europe, etc.

Probabley a stupid idea, but it is a great sport, and Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL should have corps from everywhere

Yeah, I agree that with the label of Drum Corps International it should feature corps from everywhere, and as of lately that label has been misleading. They should change that label to Drum Corps of America because in the end, American corps are always what ends up in the finals, on video tapes; we host our final drum corps only here in America and nowhere else (especially now with the drum corps finals being scheduled in Indianapolis). Thus, Drum Corps of America is the most appropriate title for our activity today.

I’m just wondering has the directors at DCI ever thought about trying to get drum corps to be part of the Olympics. I’m talking about with the likes of the recent Beijing Olympics. I can see something like this and it seems like a great idea. Countries compete against each other’s drum corps, marching units, and music programs. And compete against each other’s music venues of all kind. Anyway, I just wanted to float this idea around. Why don’t they sign DCI up for that. They're a powerful enough organization I think.

There is little chance of that happening, because drum corps is primarily north american, with the exception of Britain and Holland. The Olympic committee

has just eliminated baseball and softball, which is played all over North America, the Caribbean, northern So. America,Taiwan, Korea,Japan ,and Australia and Brazil...The Olympic committee wants to hold on to its power base, and it will not happen if these sports which appeal to millions are allowed in the Olympics. Their delegates will support synchronized swimming (all 2500 fans) The hammer throw (all 176 fans, who are also competitors) Archery (whose competitors have larger beer bellies than ice road truckers) ...Lets not forget white water rafting, ribbon twirling, and walking races. These groups have no power base, so the elite association of unelected officials will not have to worry about any challenges to their power structure. They can continue wearing their blue blazers, and rake in the dough....

But that would make the initials DCA, and that would just be confusing.

I was thinking the same thing. DCNA (Drum Corps North America) might work, but to use the term DCA would get everybody screwed up. Just look at it now. What in DCA is "Open Class" is "World Class" in DCI and what is "Open Class" in DCI is "Class A" in DCA. If that isn't enough to get everyone confused then I don't know what is. :thumbup:

But that would make the initials DCA, and that would just be confusing.

Well, DCA (Drum corps of America) can include the other DCA (Drum Corps Associates). It can all be under one umbrella, because after all they're all mostly American Drum corps anyway lol.