Madison Scouts Announce Jim Prime as Music Arranger and Designer

Well, let's try this again. Madison has never appeared to be an organization that is flush with extra cash. In fact, as recently as a few years ago they were very vocally

claiming to be in dire financial straits. So, what has changed? Has there been some miraculous one time infusion of cash by a generous benefactor? Have they found a new and novel source of funding? Or are they simply rolling the dice and hoping that by bringing in a top team of instructors that the money and the talent that have been lacking will somehow follow?

If the model of paying for this staff is by hoping that the kind folks of DCP are going to click on the magic donate button on Madison's web site...good luck.

Again, would it not be absurd to believe that this question hasn't already been addressed by those at the helm! What good is it for us to speculate upon such agreements? What or who does such speculation serve?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Karen! Long time no chat..... :thumbup:

I think there are some "deep pockets" that you referred to in a previous post that now might be a gracious benefactor of the Scouts organization. I don't know this for a fact, but trust the source. I hope that answers your question. If you need further info, I will be happy to respond to a PM but not in a public forum.

Dave, I'm not sure any deep pockets will be needed. Jim and crew have successful ventures outside of the drum corps. I cannot believe they would financial endanger the Scouts. It feels like this is about constructing a solid creative and instructional base on which a great old corps can regain some of it's former swagger. It will probably take a couple of years, but I predict great things ahead.

What strange times we are living. The Scouts with a Jimmer book and a breath-dah technique hornline. My world is officially inverted. :thumbup:

Okay I will throw one out. Lots of percussion speculation, but since so much of the old gang is getting involved in this project, what would it take to get Mr. Delucia to contribute some funky beats? I see him as a great fit for a Scout style book. Just thinking out loud....

Edited by mchromik

I think DCP would officially implode if Delucia was announced as perc arranger. haha It'd be something to behold, that's for sure. :thumbup:

I loved the Jeff Moore era of Scouts percussion and would be thrilled if he returned.

Yes indeed, Jeff would be great for Madison!!! :thumbup:

True, and while I didn't want to post anything to rain on Scouts parade, the financial aspect did cross my mind. I keep thinking of Magic of Orlando's return to drum corps with an all star staff they couldn't afford, and then folded shortly thereafter.

But then I quickly realized that Madison Scouts are not Magic, and they wouldn't be around as long as they've been around with fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants style management. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and just sit back and enjoy the announcements and wait until they take the field next season. I'm sure the alumni are beside themselves with emotion: going from pretty far out of finals and a disappointing (placement wise) season one week, and an extremely promising future the next.

Can't wait to see what happens next for The Scouts; the staff will definitely make things interesting! And while chances are good Madison will not win DCI next year, you've got to love the fact that Scouts management decided they were not happy with previous results and are being aggressive with their pursuit to change things for the better!

I agree , If these New staff does not do the corps FULL time and tour.

The corps will be in Financial ruin. They might anyway.

If it was not a crap shoot , why wasn't any other corps gone after this staff ?

Its been since 1993.

Prime, Mason , Vanderkoff have all been out of the activity for 17 years.

these are All very capable staff who have out for a while.

Could be good to get Madison back up to the 10-12 range.

Arguably the finest arranger in the history of drum corps, paired up with his side kick DVD, with arguably America's (err, make that the world's) all-time favorite brass section. (Wayne, I said "favorite" not best.)

What's not to like, unless you're on the bubble for a finals spot, or dare I say it? A top 6 spot?

Fasten your seat belts - Prime, Van Doren, Madison... anyone remember "A Perfect Storm"????

Karen,

I can't find your original post to reply to it, but you know these guys better than almost anyone who's posting here - would Jimmer, or Donny for that matter a) get into a situation that had not been proved to them beyond a doubt that was viable in every way including financial? b) would either of those guys - two of the classiest people either you or I have ever worked with, put their own financial interests (by taking the job if it were not viable) ahead of the interests of one of the most fabled corps in history?

Doesn't sound like the Jimmer or Donny I know. My bet is that whatever the past is, Madison has the means right now, or these two guys (as well as others) would not be committing. Their legacies are already carved. They don't need this if it wouldn't work.

It will work.

BTW, you know I'd never disagree with you... (you'd kill me). Just playing devil's advocate.

The Devils may need an advocate if this goes the way it looks like it's going to.

I'm lovin' it.

This turn of events can ONLY be great news not only for Madison but for DCI as a whole. This group of designers/organizers gets it! And in an era of innovation and pushing the envelop, this bunch has serious chops! My guess is that they're already refining ideas for integration of electronics, vertical movement, guard integration and dynamic musical scores. Word to the other corps designers: Pay attention, BD/Crown's battle for innovation in design has been joined! :thumbup: Welcome to the New Frontier! This is going to be FUN!

Okay I will throw one out. Lots of percussion speculation, but since so much of the old gang is getting involved in this project, what would it take to get Mr. Delucia to contribute some funky beats? I see him as a great fit for a Scout style book. Just thinking out loud....

no thanks. the activity has long since lapped dennis on the track of innovation...