Uniformed Personnel in Empire Statesmen Retreat

****post deleted, I got over it*****

Edited by mellonick

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

****post deleted, I got over it*****

So what was it that you got over? Inquiring minds want to know.......

tell......TELL!!!!

this is killing me......

you mean the REAL HEROS in full uniform from the

ARMY

Marines

Navy

Air Force

Police

and FIREMEN

that were part of of EMPIRE'S honor guard ?

Yes, They were the real DEAL.

Its what EMPIRE'S Show was about.

:devil::devil::devil:

Heh....in 86 Empire there were 2 active duty guys....myself (USAF) and one of the bass drummers (Canadian Army). We both attended the HOF dinner instead of rehearsal that day (with Vince Bruni's blessing) in our dress unis....one of the few time I wore my blues, in fact.

The closer of the show that year was a compilation of the beginnings of the 4 service songs (sorry, Coast Guard...no soup for you!), followed by America the Beautiful.

As the opening snippet of each service song was played, one of the guard emerged, dressed in an approximation of each service's uni.

The Marine one came out third, followed by the USAF one...and the Marine was dressed in an actual USMC dress blue tunic...belonged to one of the members who had served. The rank was something in the non-com ranks (a Sgt of some level...don't remember which one).

However, I had found an officer's garrison cap on the street at my base (easy to tell...had silver thread on the borders) and I managed to get captains bars and shoulder boards for the USAF girl, because I would be ###### if I let the girl repping MY branch get outranked by a freakin' jarhead!! :worthy:

Taught her how to throw a proper salute when she came into view, too!

Edited by 84BDsop

To all that have questions,

All of the uniformed military, the firefighter and the police representative were actually members of those organizations. Hours of preparation went into finding and preparing these fine gentlemen to be part of our show.

The Empire Statesmen show was to pay tribute to all members of the military, police and firefighters who so humbly give themselves for us so we can live in a safe and free country.

I would personally like to thank all 6 gentlemen who volunteered their time to spend the weekend with the Empire Statesmen. It made the show come to life for the members of the corps and hopefully the audience as well.

Myself as the brass caption head of the Empire Statesmen brass line would like to congratulate everyone on their seasons accomplishments. We all would love to be the named Champions (and the Bucs hold that title well and rightfully so)...but only one can be the named Champion. The rest of the corps are on task to make sure that their voice is heard loud and clear and that they represent themselves, their corps and the activity at the highest level possible. I think we all did that last night.

Congrats and here is to 2010!

Safe travels,

Jimmy Steele - Brass Caption Head - Empire Statesmen

To all that have questions,

All of the uniformed military, the firefighter and the police representative were actually members of those organizations. Hours of preparation went into finding and preparing these fine gentlemen to be part of our show.

The Empire Statesmen show was to pay tribute to all members of the military, police and firefighters who so humbly give themselves for us so we can live in a safe and free country.

I would personally like to thank all 6 gentlemen who volunteered their time to spend the weekend with the Empire Statesmen. It made the show come to life for the members of the corps and hopefully the audience as well.

Myself as the brass caption head of the Empire Statesmen brass line would like to congratulate everyone on their seasons accomplishments. We all would love to be the named Champions (and the Bucs hold that title well and rightfully so)...but only one can be the named Champion. The rest of the corps are on task to make sure that their voice is heard loud and clear and that they represent themselves, their corps and the activity at the highest level possible. I think we all did that last night.

Congrats and here is to 2010!

Safe travels,

Jimmy Steele - Brass Caption Head - Empire Statesmen

On behalf of my wife Sharon and myself, I just want to say what an honor it was to be a part of the Empire Statesmen this year as members of the Honor Guard. The Statesmen organization is truly a family and we are proud to

have been a part of it. Last night was special and we will remember it for the rest of our lives.

Benny

To me that's a welcomed blast from the past. When a corps used to have a member in the service they would wear their military uniform rather than the corps', and it wasn't just the honor guard. Thank you Empire Statesmen for reminding Drum Corps of where it came from.