As a band director or corps staff member

When you have a student who is not likely to make their "dream" corps, how do handle this? Do you feel it is best to tell them they aren't likely to succeed, and save them alot of audition/camp fees, or do you encourage them to go for it?

As a band director, I always encourage my students to go out for corps. The musical rewards last a lifetime, and the experiences are amazing. However, once in awhile you'll get a student of a little less than average musical talent, and they think they are going to be able to just walk in and make the cut for Cavaliers, or Blue Devils, or Cadets.

I was wondering how other band directors handle these situations.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have a student who is not likely to make their "dream" corps, how do handle this? Do you feel it is best to tell them they aren't likely to succeed, and save them alot of audition/camp fees, or do you encourage them to go for it?

As a band director, I always encourage my students to go out for corps. The musical rewards last a lifetime, and the experiences are amazing. However, once in awhile you'll get a student of a little less than average musical talent, and they think they are going to be able to just walk in and make the cut for Cavaliers, or Blue Devils, or Cadets.

I would make sure that my band program is geared enough to challenge the students so they can one day march with their dream corps. NEVER tell a student they are not likely to succeed. Encourage the student to do better, host clinics with DCI instructors like Scott Johnson or Lee Beddis, Wayne Downey ect. Do what you can to help the student be successful.

The band director can look like the hero at the end :)

I would make sure that my band program is geared enough to challenge the students so they can one day march with their dream corps. NEVER tell a student they are not likely to succeed. Encourage the student to do better, host clinics with DCI instructors like Scott Johnson or Lee Beddis, Wayne Downey ect. Do what you can to help the student be successful.

The band director can look like the hero at the end :)

In our program, we try to challenge the students everyday. We pick music, and drill that are difficult but achievable. And we never do tell students that they aren't going to succeed, but we do explain the odds of them making it into a top level corps are very low. If there are going to be 97 sopranos trying out for the 8 spots left from ageouts and non-returning members, the odds are only 10% they are going to make it. And let's be honest, as a band director, you know what the talent level is on the members of your band. So is it better to encourage them to try out for a smaller/lower placing corps that they actually have a good shot at making, or let them audition for a top 3 corps, and possibly be turned off by the whole audition process?

Encourage them. This is the equivalent of looking for a job. It'll be a good measuring stick, and perhaps a wakeup call. If they go to corps like BD or SCV, they may have an opportunity to tune their skills in the B/Cadet corps while remaining in the organization of their "dreams". It won't guarantee they move up automatically, but if they work hard, they could reap their rewards in the future.

Edited by Wildabeast

Always encourage them. All things considered, it's better to try and fail than to not try at all. Why instill a pattern of expecting that they won't succeed? If they don't make it, it's better that they hear it from those who actually make the decision. And, you never know what might be gained by the experience.

Edited by jpaul

In our program, we try to challenge the students everyday. We pick music, and drill that are difficult but achievable. And we never do tell students that they aren't going to succeed, but we do explain the odds of them making it into a top level corps are very low. If there are going to be 97 sopranos trying out for the 8 spots left from ageouts and non-returning members, the odds are only 10% they are going to make it. And let's be honest, as a band director, you know what the talent level is on the members of your band. So is it better to encourage them to try out for a smaller/lower placing corps that they actually have a good shot at making, or let them audition for a top 3 corps, and possibly be turned off by the whole audition process?

You can contact for example the Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Cavaliers ect. and ask what their auditions consist of to help prepare your students as well. Auditioning for a lower tiered World Class corps for experience isn't a bad idea either. Many members of the upper class of World Class have members that marched the likes of the MAndarins, Pioneer, Academy, Colts or Crossmen. However , sometimes the audition and cut process can be an eye opener that speaks volumes to the students. Many students can learn an aweful lot at an audition weekend camp.

It depends on that student's marching/playing ability. True, you should not stunt a student's dreams but as their teacher, you should also guide them. Yes the experience of a top 4 corps is worth it, but not if the kid is strapped for cash, flying across the country, and no where near the level that the corps is seeking. This could actually burn and scar the student.

Guide them to a corps that would give him or her a positive and constructive experience. Explain that their dream corps can be a 2 or 3 season goal and give an example of the financial commitment. There's a difference between shooting down a kid's dreams and prompting them to be successful in getting there.

IF the student is slightly below or close to the expectations of a specific corps, then YES they can and should attend the camps and make sure they understand they'll have to work their butt off in between camps until they get in. What a rush!

I believe cost should also factor into things. To some kids cost is not a factor but especially now days I would think cost will be a huge factor.

Flying into camps of a top 3 corps just for the experience seems very cost foolish to me. You can certainly be realistic with a student while still

encouraging them. There are top notch instructors in all World Class corps so I would think it would benefit students to go somewhere that they

have a realistic chance of making it. As someone else mentioned most staff members know and communicate with their peers in other corps and

can usually direct students to a corps that may help them the most.

I do exactly what my director did to me... BE HONEST.

My director (No corps expierence) and assistant director (1999 Cadet) told me if I wanted to make Corps Z I had a lot of improvment to make and if I were to audition at the time we were talking in that I would not make it. That was all I needed to hear really and geared me in the right direction.

They encouraged me to go to auditions no matter what because if I didnt make it, it was a step that some people dont even take as well as on opportunity to learn and grom. They also mentioned that a lot of staffs are friends with other staffs and just because you are not fit for corps Z doesnt mean you are not fit for Corps W. They can call up corps that have holes or what not and get you in there. As long as you are marching you will learn something new!

Edited by rdtrmpt

Top corps these days that are pulling in 400 + at auditions understand they have to offer an educational experience to everyone that auditions. How will a student know what to improve on if they can't establish their own baseline as it compares to the standard set by the corps they're trying to make? I'm not an educator, but if I were I think I would encourage them to audition for their dream corps, with a clear dose of reality as it applies to the expectation of making it, and then absolutely encourage them to march elsewhere if they don't making it clear that their best shot at improving enough to make their dream corps is by spending a summer in the trenches somewhere else.