How come I never see this?

En929

Vanguard Cadets 09 show "A Story of Love" is the only modern drum corps show Ive seen that have had pop elements, while at the same time maintaining the integrity of the activity, and maintaining a challenging experience for the members. Other then that exception, I'd say drum corps should keep doing what it does best.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vanguard Cadets 09 show "A Story of Love" is the only modern drum corps show Ive seen that have had pop elements, while at the same time maintaining the integrity of the activity, and maintaining a challenging experience for the members. Other then that exception, I'd say drum corps should keep doing what it does best.

Yeah, drum corps should keep doing what they do best, but just add a little more bop.

Edited by En929

So, I guess I might be one of the only ones that believe that drum corps should try to play a little more bop, but so be it. But, I personally can’t see having a lot of concerts without it.

Edited by En929

Yicch. They completely missed it.

Really?!?! The People I was around at the time were like (To paraphrase) "Finally. somebody managed to pull it off! I remember seeing it as part of their repertoire before the season started and thinking OUCH! But then I got to see it several times that year and it was like I said. Finally!

This summer, BAC chose to do "So What?" by PINK as its parade tune. The corps basically sight read it before parade season, performed it at all of its parades, and the crowds (especially in Massachusetts) ate it up. Yes, they were dancin' and a boppin' in the streets everytime BAC let loose! And, I LOVED it!

And you know what, NOBODY associated with the corps, either members or staff would ever conceive of the idea playing something like that on the field. Because of the judges? No. Because of musical snobbery? No.

Because how do you ask 150 young people to spend their entire winter and spring and every moment of their summer perfecting a pop tune which has so little musical value that they can sightread it?

Answer: You don't.

I AM an old timer, who marched in BAC 30 years ago and played Earth, Wind and Fire, Patrick Williams, and Beethoven IN THE SAME SHOW. That was then and this is now. Thank God.

So, I guess I might be one of the only ones that believe that drum corps should try to play a little more bop, but so be it. But, I personally can’t see having a lot of concerts without it.

Concerts? You mean like in an indoor venue like a hall? This is completely different from that. Even if you said rock concert, this is different from that. On another note, I'd be fine if drum corps were entertaining with what you say is "bop." However, would you be willing to pay a lot higher prices just to hear Superstition on the field at just one show? There are multitudes of reasons why drum corps don't go for "boppy" songs. They generally have a high price to pay or there might not be enough substance to be competitive on a decent level. Whatever the reason, it is not so that you are dissatisfied. Drum corps will still try to entertain with whatever music they want.

Concerts? You mean like in an indoor venue like a hall? This is completely different from that. Even if you said rock concert, this is different from that. On another note, I'd be fine if drum corps were entertaining with what you say is "bop." However, would you be willing to pay a lot higher prices just to hear Superstition on the field at just one show? There are multitudes of reasons why drum corps don't go for "boppy" songs. They generally have a high price to pay or there might not be enough substance to be competitive on a decent level. Whatever the reason, it is not so that you are dissatisfied. Drum corps will still try to entertain with whatever music they want.

A drum corps show IS a concert. I’m sorry. But, that’s what it is. Some people get hung up on terminology like that. But, I don’t. Second, would I go to a concert/drum corps show if just Superstition were played? My answer: why would anybody go to a concert just to hear one song? If my idea were implemented, it wouldn’t be just Superstition. It would be a whole range of greats (for Superstition is not the only great pop song ). I listed some groups who make songs that would fair perfectly on the field, simply scroll back.

Regarding what I’d pay? I’d pay the same amount that I’d pay to go see a drum corps show of today. Thus, do YOU think that’s a high price? In all, I’m simply stating my idea based on my experience. When bop is added people dig it; especially if it’s done well, whether it’s in drum corps or what have you (I don’t know what happened to Spirit this year, but in the 80s they were jamming). Yes, drum corps will still entertain, but I just think it will entertain many more if more bop were included.

Bluecoats 08, Spirit 09, half of the BD shows... popular music isn't uncommon to Drum Corps. It's just not a major staple of it. No one genre really is, other than, say, "Contemporary."

If all drum corps shows were like that, I would not pay to see a DCI show.

And I'm not a music major, so don't accuse me of being snobbish. I just don't want to see that. Did see a kind of cool Radiohead show awhile back, though. Actually, the only real cool part of it was "The National Anthem," but whatever.

I'd pay to see Radiohead played by a drum corps--dude wrote some magnificent music--Phillip Glass too although it's been done. Shoot, I already paid to see 1/2 a red cello, some chairs, and a Singer convention. Not to mention some happy-a#@ mountaineers.

Be snobby. It's ok.

A drum corps show IS a concert.

Very true. Would you say seeing an orchestra and seeing a rock band is a concert? There are different styles of music being played and the audience expects such and such music. Would you tell an orchestra to play something with bop?

Second, would I go to a concert/drum corps show if just Superstition were played? My answer: why would anybody go to a concert just to hear one song? If my idea were implemented, it wouldn’t be just Superstition. It would be a whole range of greats (for Superstition is not the only great pop song ). I listed some groups who make songs that would fair perfectly on the field, simply scroll back.

It was merely an example.

Regarding what I’d pay? I’d pay the same amount that I’d pay to go see a drum corps show of today.

I assumed you read the rest of this thread. To play such hits from artists like the ones you mentioned, the rights to perform would have to be bought at a much higher price than say something from Ticheli simply because of the music industry. There are also pay-per-performance fees which would require you, the audience, to pay considerably more because one corps at the show is playing an arrangement of, for example, Superstition. You would have to pay more than you pay to see a drum corps show of today.

When bop is added people dig it; especially if it’s done well, whether it’s in drum corps or what have you (I don’t know what happened to Spirit this year, but in the 80s they were jamming). Yes, drum corps will still entertain, but I just think it will entertain many more if more bop were included

No one's arguing that really. Just the logistics of using said bop music.