Prelims/Alumni Show/Finals thoughts

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only disagreement - your opinion that the 2009 Bucs are the greatest corp in DCA history - not be a long shot IMHO. If your memory is fading as you indicated might be the case - take a few visits to youtube and take a gander at any of the 60/70's shows/performances. Take even the 72 Skyliners and Cabs at Finals - the drive, emotion, pure fun AND execution overall were better than any in this year's DCA contingent. Heck even the Bucs from the 70s were really something else.

I took your advice and watched the shows you mentioned. It's not even close. Great performances? Yes. Fun shows? Yes. Execution? Sure, but the demand is lower by and order of magnitude. Also, they don't play with anything near the musicianship and quality of sound of any of today's finalists. The 2009 Buccaneers are FAR better than any and all of those corps.

Comparable to Bucs 09? Not by a longshot.

Like Jeff has said in the past, it's a bit of apples to oranges, but really...

Sayre,

I think Fran did. I apologize for not being able to see you guys...I wanted to.

I did, and I didn't. LOL. By that I mean, I didn't see the complete shows of the first three corps, since I was still settling in and putting together some paperwork. So I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on those three.

I made sure to watch all of the Sunrisers since....well....I'm a Sun alum. :ph34r: And it was nice to say the words "Long Island Sunrisers" when I introduced the corps.

I was impressed by how much Sun had improved since my first viewing of them, at the Cabs' show in Wayne in July. At that show, to be perfectly honest, Sun was a mess. But at prelims.... quite a difference. Seemed to have some early jitters, but IMO they settled down and their performance got stronger in the second half of their show. The color guard in particular really stood out.... one of the best of the day in Class A. The corps' program, IMO, was over the heads of the young performers... but they handled it about as well as can be expected by season's end. I hope the corps can retain their nucleus of members for the next few years, so those youngsters can grow into young veterans and help Sun move forward.

Sun Devils..... they were the first corps to really get the crowd going.

Sunrisers got a nice hand, but Sun Devils got at least a couple of standing O's, including one during their performance. I was surprised their prelims score was as low as it was. I understand their percussion section held them back a bit...I have no idea, since I was focusing mostly on the horn line and visual. Strong horn line and a visual design that kept the corps up front (in front of the back hashmark) for a decent amount of the show...smart move for a small corps.

Bottom line... terrific performance from one of DCA's newest corps. They are very, very solid, especially for a second-year corps.

Fran

I hope the corps can retain their nucleus of members for the next few years, so those youngsters can grow into young veterans and help Sun move forward.

That makes two of us. :ph34r:

Bridgemen....welcome back my friends.....and before i cover the show...Jimmy....i was right behind the lady you delivered the message to when you came up into the stands! Well my friends...if alumni corps can improve in a month, the Bridgemen showed how! Much more powerful than at Allentown, with great solos, and a ton of fun...loved the Hymn for A Wahle. Liz...you go girl and Chris thanks for waving before William tell. Folks...these guys just rock.....NOW DO THE #### CIVIL WAR SUITE!!!

Hey Jeff! Thanks for providing your review!

Sorry, but I didn't realize you were there! That encore was a lot of fun, especially with the faint! (Added at the last minute).

Note to others...The DCA Official "Kevin" on the back sideline, suggested I climb into the stands next to where his mother was sitting, for our traditional encore, the "William Tell Overture" (We call it "Billy T").

He said, "Tell her that Kevin said to say "hello" !

Rochester was a great deal of fun for the Bridgemen, as usual, and it's always a FANTASTIC way to end our season!!!!

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO DCA FOR INVITING US TO THE ALUMNI SPECTACULAR!!!

Jeff...hope to see you soon!!!

Jimmy

Comprehensive review and seems to be in line with what the judges thought as well in terms of positioning overall.

Only disagreement - your opinion that the 2009 Bucs are the greatest corp in DCA history - not be a long shot IMHO. If your memory is fading as you indicated might be the case - take a few visits to youtube and take a gander at any of the 60/70's shows/performances. Take even the 72 Skyliners and Cabs at Finals - the drive, emotion, pure fun AND execution overall were better than any in this year's DCA contingent. Heck even the Bucs from the 70s were really something else.

As for those debating how the Bucs might fit against the top DCI corps - they might crack top 12 at best, but probably not - all conjecture. We are all entitled to our opinions, but for myself and all of my DC friends from the golden age of the 60-70's and even early 80's - the consensus is that DCI puts out some absolutely phenomenal execution on the brass/percussion side to go along with very faced paced drills. My analogy is that DCI is like the Bolshoi Ballet ( which I have seen courtesy of my wife ) - exquisite coreo and execution, but no emotional highs for me - I'll take a great NY stage play, a Rippingtons Concert or the NY Phil doing the Wagner trilogy any day - thrilling, pounding and memorable. The overall attendance figures for DCI continue to decline and for obvious reasons. Not sure how DCA attendance has fared over the past 3 years.

Have a great off season.....

I have been involved in DCA and DCI since 1963 and I marched DCA from 63 thru 79 including 3 DCI Champions, and I can agree with you that Drum Corps had a lot of passion back then. However, I've never seen a better Corps than this years Buccaneers. With G bugles there was a lot of sound back then, no doubt covering a lot of execution errors, not so with b flat bugles. The music all corps now play is demanding with far more exposure. There have been great corps in DCA since Reading won the first championship right thru Reading winning the last. IMO DCA has improved by the decade.

I have been involved in DCA and DCI since 1963 and I marched DCA from 63 thru 79 including 3 DCI Champions, and I can agree with you that Drum Corps had a lot of passion back then. However, I've never seen a better Corps than this years Buccaneers. With G bugles there was a lot of sound back then, no doubt covering a lot of execution errors, not so with b flat bugles. The music all corps now play is demanding with far more exposure. There have been great corps in DCA since Reading won the first championship right thru Reading winning the last. IMO DCA has improved by the decade.

Would agree that the composition of the drill and music is indeed more complex and played mostly by college music majors or at least band types compared to back when - most were 'weekenders' - many(most ?) couldn't even read a music sheet . I disagree strongly with your proposition that 'execution' back then was covered up by the G horns. There were some phenomenal lines in the 60/70's and into the 80's for sure and execution was superb. Passion then was on another plain. Today it is the 'art' of music - back then it was about passion/electrifying the crowds - not that they don't approach that today, but today it is purely playing to the score sheets. You can cover up a lot more on the new drum heads than the old stuff for sure. Want a revelation - play a great line from back when at a slower speed - then play even Bucs 2009 at a lower speed - I did - it tells an interesting story. Bucs were smooth, but not as clean as some proclaim their perfection and certainly not as good on the classic attack/release etc. scale. True clips are not the perfect way to evaluate - but it gives you perspective.

If they were to use today's DCI/DCA judging sheets - sure - Skyliners/Cabs or whomever would not win - use the old tick system and Bucs wouldn't be first.

Looking at percussion alone - the books written by the likes of Bobby Thompson, Colin Campbell, Jack Pratt - those were COMPLEX for their better lines and they played constantly - not a lot of breaks. Bucs execute their book very well, but there are lots of breaks as well. Take the Crusaders closing drum solo 1966 just as one of xxx examples - sorry - but that is pure 'exposure' and complexity to go along with some phenomenal execution. It beats anything the Bucs played this year.

Certainly an academic discussion - but as in any endeavor, the 'old' stuff just ain't as good as 'today' doesn't hold water. Kinda like saying - Miles Davis wouldn't make it in today's world because of ????

We all enjoy what we like. I had this same discussion with Mickey Petrone - of happy memory - just a few weeks before his passing - he of the same old school as I - he said it was split in the DCA camp - some thought today's corps were superior and others were the opposite. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Edited by coloradocorp

I second that thought.

But it's not limited to the Buccaneers. Minnesota, Hurricanes and Empire all proved that DCA is improving upon it's original mandate. Holy Cow... Minnesota Brass has clearly raised the bar as much as the Buccaneers, as has the Hurricanes, Empire and the Cabs. 2010 will be a very interesting finals!

DCA is now a different animal.

And that's a good thing.

Sun Devils..... they were the first corps to really get the crowd going.

Sunrisers got a nice hand, but Sun Devils got at least a couple of standing O's, including one during their performance. I was surprised their prelims score was as low as it was. I understand their percussion section held them back a bit...I have no idea, since I was focusing mostly on the horn line and visual. Strong horn line and a visual design that kept the corps up front (in front of the back hashmark) for a decent amount of the show...smart move for a small corps.

Bottom line... terrific performance from one of DCA's newest corps. They are very, very solid, especially for a second-year corps.

Fran

Some Class A thoughts from Prelims - I am glad there are those vid clips to refresh my memory.

Shenandoah Sound - Valiant effort. Visually not that bad. Lack of guard hurts. Not really sure what they were playing and not that well (sorry). I would pick popular music next time and work on brass technique. all in all I think score was too low. I would put at 57 (11)

Excelsior - another valiant effort. better musically than SS but not as good visual except they had some guard. I hear they are an combined effort with the old Targets from Mass. Maybe a good corps for young-uns from those old small DCI corps areas in West Mass and NY - score a 58 (10)

Lakeshoremen - Not bad. Did the best with what they had. lack of battery hurts obviously - they had some very good moments - score a 61 (9)

Sunrisers - A jump up from previous group, very impressed. I was hearing bad things prior but you couldn't tell from the show I saw. Glad to see they are still in business and not willing to just throw anything out there. A lot of Sunriser pride I see. still have a good guard - score a 66 (8)

Sun Devils - a big jump up. Big crowd response. hard to believe they are only 2 yrs old. Musically very impressive with large brass section and a large effective percussion/pit. Battery was not as bad as scores indicate. ???? Guard was decent with some charectors added (I don't know the X-box games but the music is great). Some fun show dynamics. I think the visual program was not quite achievable for this very young group but kudos to a bright future - watch out. score a 71 (6)

White Sabers - nice safe show with some good sop solos. Entertaining but didn't have the same crowd effect. I think SD was such a leap up that it would take a lot to get those people up and out of the seats again. anyway a very good corps with experience and could use some more guard but very effective. score a 69 (7) solid corps

Vigilantes - another jump up and very entertaining (and nice mini-corps also). We all heard about the drumline and they did the job and then some. I agree with balance with brass ( strong small brass line). They did there homework as to what will work. score a 74 (3) Guard was ok but needs work.

Gold - Very clean drill and very solid corps. Good to see them back again. Brass sounded slightly out of gas, not as strong as Vig. Percussion was ok - cleanish book. safe accomplished show. score a 72 (4)

Fusion Core - Looked good to me. had the whole package - I guess thats why the 3-5 spots were so close. Some one had to lose out I guess. another solid corps with large guard. score a 72 (4- tie)

Grenadiers - It was obvious that Grennies and Govies were a step above. Especially in the Guard. Big Grennie corps. As step above the rest but not enough to beat Govies. Nice show. Point seperation from Govies was appropriate. I thought it was going to be there year but all in all I think successful score a 77 (2)

Govies - Well staged crowd pleasing show - You could see the experience out there and the comfort zone. Didn't try to do any more than was neccesary to "almost" perfection. They made it look all too easy and I forget it was a competition and just was flat out entertained. a well desevred win - Score a 79 (1)

Generally speaking - size does not matter - well in Class A anyway. If you have small and clean vs large and dirty, clean is going to win. I see no judging credit factor for taking a chance with more members on the field. Now there is a difference between large/dirty and large/crap. I guess that it is that old demand debate but I can appreciate the corps that take a risk musically or visually.

Its too bad that Class A doesn't have 5 or more spots but then again the Open corps could have 12 spots and entertain the crowd as well. kilts and MCL would do just fine on finals night as well as adding White Sabers, Sun Devils and Fusion Core.

If you miss prelims, you are missing some good corps. If you order DVDs, add the Prelims.

It beats anything the Bucs played this year.

Bucs quad line played more notes in 30 seconds than the combined tenor drum lines of DCI and DCA for the entire decade of 1970.