CT Hurricanes and DCA

Wow.. how these threads can go into different directions so fast.

I went back and forth on this...but decided to post it anyway,

23 Years ago, there almost ended up being NO Connecticut Hurricanes. We were bankrupt, uniforms and horns had disappeared, and there were about 20 people standing at a rehearsal site in April wondering what do we do next.

It could have been easy to say, throw it on the truck and lets go home. But we didn't. The BOD asked me to take the corps over, and from there we started rebuilding. We got makeshift uniforms from Army navy store and a tuxedo place. Alumni came back to help and fill spots and teach. We put a staff together, and we all vowed that this corps will NEVER die! We built it back to a being finacially stable, we bought equipment and uniforms.. we added some talented staff. We had a few good shows and some not so good... but we never said DIE!! I will never, ever forget those people that surrounded me for those years, because they are TRUE , GREEN BLEEDING HURRICANES!

Fast forward to Sunday night.....

Sunday Night I stood in the Staff viewing area, with Jim, Bernie, Phil, and other staff. And I watched a corps that had been thru many obstacles for along time, grow, and perform the show of their lives. I have never been so proud as to call my self a HURRICANE ALUMNI that night. Those performers performed and showed what a Hurricane is.... and knowing where that corps was 23 years ago.. to what they were that night was just emotionally overwhelming. I am sure there are members that don't even know that back story .... but all sections were just awesome! When the battery went into Downfall, I could envision Ray Luedee leading them across the field... WOW!

Lets leave it at all the corps at DCA performed wonderfully. Some are or may be disappointed with their score or placement. But they ALL know they left the best they had on that field on Sunday night. And it is time to move on to hearing what great shows we will get to see in 2010.

I wish the Hurricanes continued growth and success and will always be one of the biggest supporters/cheerleaders and vocal alumni. And hope that I will get a chance to wear the lightning bolt one more time some day!

Continue to WALK PROUD... your day will come ! SOMF !!!

Edited by hurcwave

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To each their own.....

I tried to tell a lot of disappointed Hurricanes not to let a bunch of guys in blue shirts dictate to you how successful you are. We know we went out there and had the BEST two performances of our season. The numbers ended up being what they were. I can't say we were happy, but we left it all out there on the field.

There are plenty of things we can improve upon, and we plan on picking up right where we left off next season.

Thanks to everyone for an exciting 2009 season!

BRAVO ! :tongue: :tongue: :worthy::tongue:

I've kept my comments to myself for obvious reasons.

Anyone with lot of experience in this sport can't be

convinced by anyone that the field is not changing.

I believe it is because the people that made our activity what it is today,

are no longer around to defend it.

I hope the Hurcs hold it together and come back stronger

next year. They had a hell of a year.

I'll be the first one to say I don't like what's

happening to our sport; Our Life experience; and I see it

all going down the drain if we're not careful. I'd like to bring

my grandkids to a show in five years and proudly tell them

that I was once a part of this experience. It doesn't look good.

Maybe i'm just a grumpy old man, but what do they say . . .

Can't Bull #### a Bull ####er. Have a great winter. :tongue:

Edited by DaveDrum

Consider this:

I guess my credentials make me some kind of "expert" although I prefer that being at almost every DCA championship just gives me a lot of seniority and experience:

Caballeros - 3 years ago - would have won with that performance! and I have no problem with the order of finish ... So I could repeat that statement for MBI, Emp and Hurcs... and this old DCA Color Guard/Visual Judge and former Visual Caption Chief will add that Hurcs guard was the best ever in DCA... and that includes both Matadors and Bushwackers in the mid 1980's...

Congrats to all on a magnificent season.

Wow Tom!

I'm thrilled that you consider the Matadors guard (85-87) one of the best ever!

I've never seen a unit work harder than our guard from back in the day. They went

undefeated from the start of 86 till the 87 prelims where they were edged out by

an awesome Sunrisers guard :worthy::devil::sad:

I believe you judged that show Tom :tongue::worthy::tongue:

Unfortunately finals were rained out & our guard didn't get a chance to get

their title back .......... oh well, that's the way it goes.

Once again, thanks for your help a few weeks ago :tongue::worthy::tongue:

I am proud of the Hurricanes because they had an incredible year. The guard was an incredible strength for them but so was the pride that they had every time they marched on that field. The corps has grown and as Vic has stated earlier, they have overcome an incredible amount to get where they are now. Other corps have gone through similar experiences and no one should ever try to take that away or belittle the hard work that they put into their show and performance. It takes a lot to do this. I was in the Navy and marched for 4 years. Others have families and tough jobs requiring a lot of attention and managed to do it. That is incredible and deserves respect. Once again I look forward to seeing how the Hurricanes plans to top this year on their rise to the top!!

I have to admit that I hate the tone of this thread so far. It comes across as sour grapes and that's not cool.

As a hurcs alum I will say that I was very proud of their success over the past 2 years. They have come so far in such a short period of time.

I was unable to attend DCA this year but I did get a chance to see Empire in Bridgeport and I had them in 2nd place under the hurcs because of some small drill issues and some dirt in the drumline.

With that being said, it sounds like Empire fixed these minor issues and delivered a beast of a finals peformance which put them over the hurcs. They deserve all the credit and pespect for what they accomplished on finals night.

The hurcs have been a very difficult corps to beat this year but I'll always give my respect to the few corps who have mannaged to do so.

I personaly think that the Cabs were underrated this year but thats just my opinion as as DCA fan.

I am sorry but , I tend to trust the opinions of the judges more than my own as well as the opinions of other fans like myself.

Leave it alone and let the scores stand. :tongue:

The Hurcs and Bucs in the mid 80s could easily have folded. they were both at the bottom of the heap. You gotta give the management and the proud alumni of the corps credit. they didnt fold and are now both on top of the game.

Edited by steelsop

Being a member of the hurcs as well, all i have to say is that everyone in the corps poured their heart out that night, as well as everyone in every other corps did too. Even though i was initially dissapointed, all i had to think about was how far we have come, even in the last four years. 2005 wasn't one of our best, those who know me know that even though i didn't march that year, i've been around long enough to remember certain years vividly. To go from 10th to 4th in 4 years, technically 3 (4th in 2008), is something that i'm very proud of. I couldn't have wished for a better season, and i couldn't wait to blast out the show in the parking lot run through :worthy:

congrats to everyone, it was an exciting thrill ride all year competing against everyone. After all, where would the fun be if there was no competition?

All in all, it is what it is, and i couldn't have asked for a better season. (next year, we'll work on the ending :tongue: )

:tongue:

Did the CT Hurricanes get the old shafting at DCA? It seems like a couple of judges had it in for them during finals.

My question isn't meant to take away anything from the other corps who competed in Rochester. Congratulations to the top three!

I'm curious about people's opinions on this subject.

"Did the Hurcs get the old Shafting at DCA":

Did it REALLY seem like "A couple of judges had it in for then during Finals"? :tongue:

Hey, Komrad: WELCOME TO DCA!!!!! :worthy:

Elphaba

Hurcs had an amazing year. I saw them several times and really enjoyed their performances. The guard is simply amazing and the percussion is very strong. I really see this as a developing corps-so a slight slip in finals shouldn't be construed as a disaster.

Hurcs had an amazing year. I saw them several times and really enjoyed their performances. The guard is simply amazing and the percussion is very strong. I really see this as a developing corps-so a slight slip in finals shouldn't be construed as a disaster.

Almost agree with you ExCEPT GUARD...Good for sure ....winner... NAWWW!!!!