Finally, DCI Acknowledges "Issues" At LOS

Regarding the souvenir area:

1. It was a 13 minute walk from section 639 (top level around the 40 yard line) to the souvenir area during one break during Quarterfinals. I timed it only because I wanted to know how long I had to walk around in the souvenir area and still get back in time for the next Corps.

2. When bands/quartets played in the souvenir area the noise was deafening. I watched one member of the Cavaliers souvenir group hold up a sign with prices of shirts or something. The Cavaliers were almost diagonally opposite one of these quartet set ups. I also felt sorry for the Madison Scouts who were set up right next to the Cavaliers.

3. Before Semi-finals the place was jammed. Bloomington appeared to have more room.

4. There seemed to be one main entrance down (one aisle for traffic going both up & down) to the souvenir area from the stands ... the other being possibly an elevator. ... This led to occasional jam ups and appeared to border on being a fire hazard.

Last comment ... a little off topic ... if you look at the 2008 Quarterfinal tape posted on the DCI Fan network of Phantom Regiment at Bloomington I think you'll see the stands were practically full (the top corners were not). The same could not be said for 2009 Quarters or Semifinals at Lucas.

I have purchased tickets (scaled down for next year), and already made hotel reservations (in southern Indianapolis .. by I-495) for the 2010 DCI Championships. I am already looking forward to the Corps. ... but I go with hesitation after this year's experience (many of the gripes posted on this board are legit). Bloomington I loved. Lucas & Indianapolis .. sorry, but I can take it or leave it. I can see Lucas & Indianapolis getting old in three (3) years.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like some I'm going to give DCI the benefit of the doubt and hope they work something out. Being a contributor to DCI I was hoping I would've gotten the survey. Of course my complaints are like many so I'm sure they will get an earfull from those who are taking the survey. I just hope some of these corps staff members, in particular the guard, can get over their "diva-like" mentality. If the roof can be open, then it should. I'm sorry if Mary Jane can't throw a perfect six in the wind, but it is what it is. Oh well from my experience this year, it is getting way too corporate and the negative behavior shown by many just because they donate a lot of money on a sponsorship level is the avenue DCI has found to stay afloat then good for them.

You actually talked to guard staff who complained that their members couldn't toss in an open air stadium? Really?

Regarding the souvenir area:

1. It was a 13 minute walk from section 639 (top level around the 40 yard line) to the souvenir area during one break during Quarterfinals. I timed it only because I wanted to know how long I had to walk around in the souvenir area and still get back in time for the next Corps.

2. When bands/quartets played in the souvenir area the noise was deafening. I watched one member of the Cavaliers souvenir group hold up a sign with prices of shirts or something. The Cavaliers were almost diagonally opposite one of these quartet set ups. I also felt sorry for the Madison Scouts who were set up right next to the Cavaliers.

3. Before Semi-finals the place was jammed. Bloomington appeared to have more room.

4. There seemed to be one main entrance down (one aisle for traffic going both up & down) to the souvenir area from the stands ... the other being possibly an elevator. ... This led to occasional jam ups and appeared to border on being a fire hazard.

Last comment ... a little off topic ... if you look at the 2008 Quarterfinal tape posted on the DCI Fan network of Phantom Regiment at Bloomington I think you'll see the stands were practically full (the top corners were not). The same could not be said for 2009 Quarters or Semifinals at Lucas.

I have purchased tickets (scaled down for next year), and already made hotel reservations (in southern Indianapolis .. by I-495) for the 2010 DCI Championships. I am already looking forward to the Corps. ... but I go with hesitation after this year's experience (many of the gripes posted on this board are legit). Bloomington I loved. Lucas & Indianapolis .. sorry, but I can take it or leave it. I can see Lucas & Indianapolis getting old in three (3) years.

Bloomington seats as many show side as LOS? I would think not.

Bloomington seats as many show side as LOS? I would think not.

Bloomington is bleacher seats.. can fit a lot more people.. but I honestly don't know the actual seating numbers... LOS is ####### huge though, so I'm guessing there were more seats... couldn't even see all of the stands from the field... it was hard enough to find the box from the field... doesn't help that we wear our aussies so low.

This is besides any point anyone is trying to make... but the stadium just felt too big for drum corps... too much vertical space... just IMO

This makes little sense to me.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a...40-16613fd216f8

I like this spin:

“Unlike previous seasons where we were ‘one and done’ in a Championships venue, we now have the incredible opportunity to return to Lucas Oil Stadium for several years. We can build on the lessons we’ve learned and continue to refine our operation to ensure an incredible World Championships experience for everyone,” said Kuehnhold.

The problems represent an Incredible Opportunity... why didn't I think of that???

I did purchase my tickets direct from DCI, so I will eagerly await my survey.

However, I will not hestitate to give my opinion in advance. DCI should do one of two things:

a) Open the roof, so that there is no echo effect, and no "dark spots" in the stadium where there is no sound; or

b) Confine the corps to one half of the field, and make everyone perform in that half.

I sat in section 132, which is the far southern part of the stadium. The BD closer (I think it was Caravan) was performed to the north end of the stadium. I swear I could not hear it. All I could hear were echos. If I had sat in the north end of the stadium, I am sure it would have been a tremendous experience. But I was in the south end, so all I heard was echo, echo, echo, echo.....

Echoing would be great, if this was a yodeling contest. But this is Indiana, not Switzerland. If I want to hear yodeling, or buy chocolate or Cukoo-clocks, I will go to Switzerland. If I want to hear a drum corps show, then please, hold the show in a place with solid accoustics. Or don't sell seats in sections of the stadium which you know will have bad accoustics. Or only have the corps perform to half of the field - and only sell tickets to that half of the field.

I will give the stadium compliments for comfort, cleanliness, and accessability. But the accoustics are pitiful, and everyone knows it. Now DCI has acknowledged it, and they need to address it. Now.

Edited by oldschooldbc

When are you people gonna reallize that LOS wasn't designed for drum corps or band shows they never had that in mind and I don't blame them

they built this place for the Colts football team and their fans not DCI . To tell you the truth I really enjoyed the place the only problem that I had

with it was where they put all of the corps souvie stands now if they ( DCI ) can do something about that problem then I'll be happy . I like the idea

that I can watch a drum corp show without sweating my butt off and setting on a hard seat for 4 or 5 hours with no back support so what if there's

a little echo I hardly noticed it and I was sitting in section 359 Oh yeah the price's are way to high and they need to be lowered .

The only reason it's an issue is because DCI tried to sell everyone on the idea of ten years at the same location with the idea that it was being designed with the idea of quality acoustics in mind. Leaving aside the roof opened/closed issue, that was a big push for them on this in terms of getting people behind the idea, and based on the incredibly negative response we've seen here, even from people who ordinarily might not speak out publicly in such a way, it would seem that LOS didn't deliver. I wasn't there, and I'm not commenting on it, I'm just clarifying why it's such an issue for people.

I honestly didn't go, but I heard the prices were expensive all over town in restaurants and hotels were over priced.

I heard that toilet paper was a buck a square.