Troopers, am I the only one to notice

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just say it: Should have had a concert number, a color pre and endzone entrance/exit. Anything else?

HH

And rope-tensioned snares, single tenors, 1-valve G bugles, a guard in corps uniforms and not costumes, an American flag section and a single set of flags. :tongue:

I like others are glad to see Troopers back in the top 12. But I'm a little disappointed in how they did it. While the show was called Western Side Story and was "based" on WSS I found it more of a Blue Devils type show then a Troopers show. Lots of snippets and music I couldn't remember once I left the theatre.

I've read people deride Blue Devils and others for this type of show but no one seems upset when the Troopers did it. Am I the only one to find this strange?

Really? You couldn't remember the music? How about that little salsa melody they played throughout the entire show? Or the Ballad, One hand One heart. Isn't that one of the most recognizable pieces from West Side Story? How about all the Maria quotes thrown in? Or when the mellos played "I want to live in America" In the opener? Or when other western themes were thrown in, like the theme from dances with wolves or spaghetti western/billy the kid?

I would say pretty much all their music this year was melodic. Sure, it had some recapitulations in it, but that was to keep all the melody in your ears.

And for those who think they made it into finals without deserving it well... I can tell you it definitely wasn't for Identity. Back in 2007 Colts finished in finals. In 2007, Troopers finished in quarterfinals :tongue:

If anything, their identity was something to harm them. This is the corps that played "She'll be Coming around the mountain" just 4 years ago after all.

Not that I am criticizing the Troopers. Far from it as I was overjoyed to see them in finals again. However, who do so many corps shy away from their traditional roots? What's wrong with a little nostalgia in drum corps these days? Why can't the Troopers play a real western show including such classics as "Ghost Riders," "How the West Was Won" etc. What about Spirit doing some old SOA music and blowing the stands down? What would be wrong with that? I already know the answer. In order to "win one must play the game." Perhaps it's high time the rules of this so called game were changed! Bring back some of the music and nostalgia that made the activity so exciting and popular. The fans are craving for such a positive move! Judges, instructors, designers are you listening?

Not that I am criticizing the Troopers. Far from it as I was overjoyed to see them in finals again. However, who do so many corps shy away from their traditional roots? What's wrong with a little nostalgia in drum corps these days? Why can't the Troopers play a real western show including such classics as "Ghost Riders," "How the West Was Won" etc. What about Spirit doing some old SOA music and blowing the stands down? What would be wrong with that? I already know the answer. In order to "win one must play the game." Perhaps it's high time the rules of this so called game were changed! Bring back some of the music and nostalgia that made the activity so exciting and popular. The fans are craving for such a positive move! Judges, instructors, designers are you listening?

How many times, (years) do you want the Troopers to play the same songs again? How many times have they already done "Ghost Riders"? The challenge and fun is to do new shows every year. There is a lot of "western" themed music out there and Troop has done a good job finding it and putting it in a western-styled theme show keeping with its tradition, as well as putting in their traditional sunburst. What you're asking is for Phantom to do Spartacus each year, SVC to always do their Russian dance number and BD now to always use the chairs. It's not so much as "playing the game" as it is keeping things interesting for the fans and challenging for the kids doing all the work. There really is nothing wrong with mixing it up and keeping things current. How much criticism would there be if they all played the same songs every year - a lot. It would be cheap. Things would be so clean, everyone would have to get 100 scores, and the kids would be bored. Who wants to march in a corps that goes out and does the same thing, year after year after year. If you go back and watch this year's Troopers show, there was a lot of "tradition" in it.

I really didn't see any similarity between Troopers this year, and any Blue Devils show. I don't think stylings or arrangements resembled anything similar to Blue Devils. I suppose the only thread of a comparison would be the 98 Blue Devils One Hand One Heart show, where they used the music of West Side Story.

It was a very nice show. Interesting arrangements of West Side Story. Nowhere near the performance level of a top 12 show though. And possibly the worst performance by a color guard on the field this year. Nothing difficult in the guardwork, and I didn't see a single simple spin that was together. Musically it didn't seem like a very difficult book either. So I am not sure where the comparison would really be between this show and a Blue Devils show.

... What's wrong with a little nostalgia in drum corps these days? Why can't the Troopers play a real western show including such classics as "Ghost Riders," "How the West Was Won" etc.

... Perhaps it's high time the rules of this so called game were changed!

First of all, I think it's fair to say that until this year Troopers were nostalgic most years. And isn't it ironic that once they in fact did change the game and enjoyed not only success but acclaim, that you and others would choose this moment to call for change? I think the Troopers have it right while certain observers have it mixed up.

HH