Troopers, am I the only one to notice

I think your philosphy of crown basing their show concept on a BD formula is vastly overstated. A few ideas here and there...maybe, but hardly all encompassing, or even a majority.

At the risk of hi-jacking this thread (it's supposed to be about Troopers..my fault) I will just suggest that everyone borrows from everyone. As has been pointed out..chairs were used years ago, but look to have more corps experiment with "vertical" now that they know the judging community finds it a legitimate effect. But effects bare the risk of falling flat or becoming old when the same corps uses it again. I think this may be part of the Cavies design conundrum, in that no one does what they do a good as they do it, but (taking for instance) the jumping over each other sequentially has become an expected feature but not enough to shock us like it used to.

As I have said before, (to me) it appeared that some of the BD 2008 show effects appeared in the Crown 2009 show. Not a criticism, in fact D.G. predicted and welcomed it. All in all I think this coming year has the possibility of being a kickxxx year for DCI, with some big movements in design teams & leadership and the return of some cutting edge designers. It's my hope that a smart, savvy corps like CC pays attention to what works and are willing to push the envelop again.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the game is checkers. Yes, all corps must play checkers.

I thought it was "Musical Chairs."

At the risk of hi-jacking this thread (it's supposed to be about Troopers..my fault) I will just suggest that everyone borrows from everyone. As has been pointed out..chairs were used years ago, but look to have more corps experiment with "vertical" now that they know the judging community finds it a legitimate effect. But effects bare the risk of falling flat or becoming old when the same corps uses it again. I think this may be part of the Cavies design conundrum, in that no one does what they do a good as they do it, but (taking for instance) the jumping over each other sequentially has become an expected feature but not enough to shock us like it used to.

As I have said before, (to me) it appeared that some of the BD 2008 show effects appeared in the Crown 2009 show. Not a criticism, in fact D.G. predicted and welcomed it. All in all I think this coming year has the possibility of being a kickxxx year for DCI, with some big movements in design teams & leadership and the return of some cutting edge designers. It's my hope that a smart, savvy corps like CC pays attention to what works and are willing to push the envelop again.

Haha...sounds good to me... :tongue:

I thought it was "Musical Chairs."

I see what you did there.

Nice job Troop! You know you had a successful season when you start getting negative press here on DCP. Keep up the good work in 2010.
I agree with you and Good move Magic Dave I miss you Buddy !

I like others are glad to see Troopers back in the top 12. But I'm a little disappointed in how they did it. While the show was called Western Side Story and was "based" on WSS I found it more of a Blue Devils type show then a Troopers show. Lots of snippets and music I couldn't remember once I left the theatre.

I've read people deride Blue Devils and others for this type of show but no one seems upset when the Troopers did it. Am I the only one to find this strange?

There are parts of Troopers music performance that I still remember and have stuck in my head, and finals was more than a month ago. So, while this may be your point of view, it's not the only one. I think you must be one of the many that cheer against the Blue Devils because they have taken the top spot so often and you're reaching for anything you can to justify your position because whatever corps you wanted in the finals didn't get there. I don't think Troop are sell-outs because they may have joined the current wave of what drum corps is all about these days. They had plenty of the typical Troop formula and tradition that way overshadowed anything "new" that they threw into the mix. Add to that, they had an incredible group of musicians that surprised even the staff and design teams.

So, maybe no one "noticed" what you did because it wasn't as clear cut and blatant as you want to make it out to be.

I like others are glad to see Troopers back in the top 12. But I'm a little disappointed in how they did it. While the show was called Western Side Story and was "based" on WSS I found it more of a Blue Devils type show then a Troopers show. Lots of snippets and music I couldn't remember once I left the theatre.

I've read people deride Blue Devils and others for this type of show but no one seems upset when the Troopers did it. Am I the only one to find this strange?

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the show, but I'm a honk so of course I'm going to have more of the show stuck in my mind since I've watched and heard it time and again. I've also still got lots of 2008 and 2007 stuck in there as well. (Not to mention a few others from a few other decades.)

Anyway, to your point: I'm pretty sure Dean Westman and Ralph Hardimon are trying to design shows that are at one level reminiscent of "old style" Troopers while appearing to be fresh, shiny, new vehicles on another. (since that's basically what they've said, even as recently as this past Friday during a live Trooper chat event.) It's a very fine line to tread. But as an "old style" alum, I'll be one to say that I'm very happy with what has been happening in the design area with Troop, and I can't wait to see what they come up with for 2010.

As to "how they did it," I'm pretty sure you can chalk it up to Dean Westman and Ralph Hardimon knowing this "game" inside and out regarding demand, content, execution, effect, etc., but also investing themselves emotionally in keeping Trooper traditions squarely in their sights. And it didn't hurt that the kids came out chomping at the bit, completely invested in the vehicle they were given to drive, and asking for more.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the show, but I'm a honk so of course I'm going to have more of the show stuck in my mind since I've watched and heard it time and again. I've also still got lots of 2008 and 2007 stuck in there as well. (Not to mention a few others from a few other decades.)

Anyway, to your point: I'm pretty sure Dean Westman and Ralph Hardimon are trying to design shows that are at one level reminiscent of "old style" Troopers while appearing to be fresh, shiny, new vehicles on another. (since that's basically what they've said, even as recently as this past Friday during a live Trooper chat event.) It's a very fine line to tread. But as an "old style" alum, I'll be one to say that I'm very happy with what has been happening in the design area with Troop, and I can't wait to see what they come up with for 2010.

As to "how they did it," I'm pretty sure you can chalk it up to Dean Westman and Ralph Hardimon knowing this "game" inside and out regarding demand, content, execution, effect, etc., but also investing themselves emotionally in keeping Trooper traditions squarely in their sights. And it didn't hurt that the kids came out chomping at the bit, completely invested in the vehicle they were given to drive, and asking for more.

I totally agree. I think the design team did a great job combining Trooper tradition with new school/judge pleasing design philosophy; the instructional staff did a great job teaching and cleaning the show, and the members did a great job performing the crap out of it. Great season for Troopers all around.