Fall Parades

I march in several Pottsville parades, and last year with St Kevin's in Plymouth, this was the coldest parade I ever marched in. Had to have hand warmers around my value to keep them from freezing. And onve you get moving it did feels a little bit warmer, or maybe by then I couldn't feel anything any more.

I know it was only a typo, but.... "Had to have hand warmers around my value.."

I certainly hope you don't freeze your "value" off this year!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have now been in the Plymouth parade about a dozen years. So far, there was only one year with a cold/freezing rain, 1997 (which I missed!). As for the rest, only about three or four were very cold, and as Andy said, once you started marching, it wasn't too bad.

Last year was the coldest I can recall. It was the first time I elected to sit in my car at the assembly area for a prolonged amount of time. The big, open field is right by Cape Cod Bay, and if the wind is blowing, it can be brutal. I'm sure it must be tough on horn players to put lips to a mouthpiece on days like that! Other years have been so warm, I elected not to wear a sweatshirt under the uniform. Let's hope this year is one of those!

It's that time of the year again...fall parade season: Columbus Day, Pulaski Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, whatever.

Let us all know where you guys are playing and when.

Here's a new twist. Like the Renegades invite people to do their CNY parade in Feb. Does any corps open up for people wanting to "sit in", or rather, "march" in for one of their parades?

I started this, but off the top of my head, I can't remember our schedule. I'll have to post that later.

Bridgemen are marching in the Bayonne Columbus Day parade on Sunday October 11th.

hype.gif

Skyliners Alumni:

October 10 - East Rutherford, NJ Columbus Day parade in the afternoon and then the Brooklyn United show at Kingsborough College at the eastern end of Coney Island that evening.

October 11 - East Hanover, NJ Columbus Day parade

November 8 - Clifton, NJ Veteran's Day parade

First rehearsal for new music will be at the Garfield VFW Post, 340 Outwater Lane, Garfield, NJ on October 18 at 12 noon. Come on down!!!!

Ray

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights:

October 11 -- East Hanover, NJ

November 1 -- Linden, NJ

November 21 -- Plymouth, MA

December 6 -- Milburn, NJ

• 4 weeks later...
(And the one I can't belive I'm typing). Plymouth, MA parade and show week or so before Thanksgiving (forget the name). Usually Cabs Alum, Park City Pride, bunch of other "name" Alumni-typ corps and *gulp*.... us....

Better bring your long-johns for that one. Last year it was about 15 degrees maybe. Don't mean to scare you, most years its a balmy 35 degrees.

One year I marched that and they actually delayed the start of the parade by an hour because of the rain. Some of the buses actually got stuck in the field where the starting point was located. When it finally did start, it had stopped raining but was very cold and windy. Coming around the final bend, we were marching along the ocean front, I was marching a bass drum and the wind coming off the ocean was probably about 25-30 mph steady-I felt like a sailboat! The following year, the sun was out and the temp was in the low 60's.

you guys haven't lived until you've marched a winter carnival parade... I have done them numerous times in Saranac Lake NY, Quebec City and Montreal... NO FUN! glycerin on the valves... vasiline on your lips... sub zero temps... but paid very well...

Did Millersville, PA Community Day/Homecoming Parde this morning. No rain this morning for unknown reasons :thumbup: just windy and warm/humid for late October.....