Worst Year for DCI Performances?

I thought 2002 was a good year. Just becuase there were a few "one hit wonders" doesn't mean they didn't have a good shows. Cavi's 2002 production is one of my all time favorites and might be considered one of the best shows of all time.

IMO anything between 1995-1998 isn't worth listening too.

Bingo. Simply because 2 finals staples have an off year does not make it a bad year. That said I still think the problem you run into with 02 is that other then the Cavaliers the top end really wasn't that spectacular that year. BD's show was fairly meh other then one song. Cadets seemed to self destruct. SCV that year is pretty underrated and probably should have placed higher at finals week (strictly IMO). Phantom had a bit of an off year but still made the top 6.

However you run into very strong years by the majority of the middle of the pack corps that year as well. Spirit had its best show in well over a decade, Crossmen were outstanding musically, Bluecoats were one of the best 7th place corps ever with that show and I honestly think they should have finished higher with (again, strictly IMO), Boston had a strong fan-friendly show that clicked at just the right time. Even Blue Knights, who just barely missed finals, had a good show that year that just didn't quite click for whatever reason.

• Like 1

It was a toss up between the forgettable 1994 season (although PRs Claire d' Lune is still one of my favorite ballads of all time and so much better than Crown's homage) and the just topsy turvy 2002 season.

My vote goes to 2002. It is clear the Magic, Cap. Reg. and Cascades success that season had to be due to the lackluster performances of Crown, Madison, etc. It was a very off year. Because when you look at the two finalists and one semifinalist mentioned above...where did they go after? One year did not their fortunes make.

2002...DCI's worst overall performances.

Obviously you haven't listened to the shows from 1994. I would be glad to let you borrow the CD's or DVD's. Once you listen to the all of the corps then you will see that this was actually a good year. Let me know where to send the CD's and DVD's.

Phantom had a bit of an off year but still made the top 6.

With the exception of the last 90 seconds or so of the show, this one is one of my favorites....

Best finish since '98.....I wouldn't call it an off year, I'd call it a steady step back towards elite status.

Anyone remember singing ..... to the tune of the 1812 overture....

I March in Phantom Cause I like 8th place...?

~Michael

• Like 1

Regiment's Boy and Madison's Girl? 2005 Gershwin show is a fun fan favorite (loving the aliteration there) and Madison's mix of Carmen and WSS was really a nice move for them I thought. Boston was a highlight and I really dug SCVs show. Cadets.....blah. Their second worst show since I first saw them in the 1980s. Worst of course was that wierd talking cancer living room set radio getting in the way of really good marching show a couple years back. Bleh on top of even more bleh from them. But the Door reprise was ugly to watch.

I think you have some years mixed up. 2005 was probably THE BEST I have ever seen them.

2005 = The Door

2006 = The Door Again

2007 = This I Believe

2008 = Oprah couches and cancer talk

Obviously you haven't listened to the shows from 1994. I would be glad to let you borrow the CD's or DVD's. Once you listen to the all of the corps then you will see that this was actually a good year. Let me know where to send the CD's and DVD's.

I'm not as much for listening as I am for listening and watching. DVDs over CDs anyday.

I think you have some years mixed up. 2005 was probably THE BEST I have ever seen them.

2005 = The Door

2006 = The Door Again

2007 = This I Believe

2008 = Oprah couches and cancer talk

You are right. I did not like 2005 show but they had the BEST Cadets corps I have ever witnessed. EVER.

2006 was the downright sucky sucky year. The 2008 show (background) was terrific but that stage and cancer and radio bleh. Destroyed. Destroyed the show.

Bob J beat me to it, but I agree. Musically it was mmm'-kay, but having been there GC was dirty, SCV was flat, Miami stunk as a venue, riots, awful weather (I think it was all time record humidity) longer tour, closed stadium...I dunno; it's hard to get that one out of my head.

Good comments, but I'd like to keep the venues out of the equation.

You are right. I did not like 2005 show but they had the BEST Cadets corps I have ever witnessed. EVER.

2006 was the downright sucky sucky year. The 2008 show (background) was terrific but that stage and cancer and radio bleh. Destroyed. Destroyed the show.

I agree. I actually liked the 2005 show, but loathed the 2006, 2007 and 2008 shows. I just kept wanting to say "Shaddup!" to the amplified narration. IMO, all three shows -- otherwise fine performances by gifted corps -- were destroyed by it.

I'm not as much for listening as I am for listening and watching. DVDs over CDs anyday.

But you need CD's for the car! You can't watch a DVD while you drive!

I liked 2002 only for the reason that semifinals for the top 3 was just spectacular. The engergized shows made the crowd go bonkers and for me was one of the few times I actually jumped out of my seat and screamed like a little girl. I went with my cousin and father who both appreciated drum corps, but didn't go crazy for it. That night when I saw them leap up and cheer, I knew they had fully crossed the line to drum corps enthusiasts.