Worst Year for DCI Performances?

The top 5 this year didn't really "do it" for me. BD was a snorefest, Cavaliers were great, but didn't have any of their classic "wow" moments, Crown was phenomenal, but I still don't think they have much of an identity, Cadets were great in a horn arc, but moving that fast on the field really hurt their sound, imo. A lot of the top 12 just weren't my thing. I loved Glassmen, SCV, Troop, and Boston, but most of my favorites this year weren't finalists. But maybe I'm biased because 2008 was such a great year for drum corps, it was very hard to follow it up.

Maybe I'm just insane, but I can't think of any year that is "the worst".... 2001 is probably the year I skip over most often, but I would hardly say it is "the worst" - you have Crossmen, Blue Knights (while visually horrendous, their guard was full of talent), Colts, Blue Devils....

it's either 2002 or 2007 for me.

Cavies in 2002 were awesome visually, but that's about it. After that, I think the only shows that i liked were Phantom and Crossmen....and even then, they're nowhere near my favorite shows for either corps.

In 2007, I don't know if there's a single show that I liked in the top 12. Crown's hornline sounded pretty awesome, but I didn't like the show concept.

I don't understand how 1995 could even come up in this thread.

My vote has to be for 2005. Outside of Phantom & Madison, the rest of the shows were pretty forgettable. That was the first year I skipped buying even the CD's, not to mention the DVD's. Outside of Boston, 2000 was pretty forgettable too. This year ('09) was a letdown, but after '08 (possibly the best year ever, IMO) I guess it was to be expected.

The top 5 this year didn't really "do it" for me. BD was a snorefest, Cavaliers were great, but didn't have any of their classic "wow" moments, Crown was phenomenal, but I still don't think they have much of an identity, Cadets were great in a horn arc, but moving that fast on the field really hurt their sound, imo. A lot of the top 12 just weren't my thing. I loved Glassmen, SCV, Troop, and Boston, but most of my favorites this year weren't finalists. But maybe I'm biased because 2008 was such a great year for drum corps, it was very hard to follow it up.

Well, we have differing tastes I guess. To me BD was anything but a snorefest. Their show had alot of melody,

tons of impact both visually and musically...I actually loved the use of the chairs

as an added visual/staging element. To me, it was their most entertaining show since 2004.

I was entertained by more corps this year than in a long time. My favorite was SCV...just

a great emotional, melodic, artistic show from beginning to end.

Blue Knights had their best show since doing Trittico. Bluecoats were awesome and had

their best hornline to date IMHO. Loved Troopers, loved the Colts. Cavaliers had what I considered

a very underrated show - it was musically exciting and interesting and the visual, while not quite

up to the level of Machine and Samuri, had moments of brilliance...and the show had moments

of humor, which I thought was a great touch. Overall 2009

was an awesome year of Drum Corps and it revived my interest in the activity!

Edited by madalumni