All Day Prelims

I recall that in 1973 the Purple Lancers were in 1st place after the first day of prelims...sigh... we ended up 17th after corps that we had been beating all year had a better prelims spot and different panel of judges. There were 3 days of prelims in Whitewater I think...

DA

I stayed with the Lancers in '74 I believe, was with LaX BS that year, for a long weekend in Mass hitting a few shows--at a high school in the burbs, cool place. PL's invited us all to a party at a hall (VFW, AL?) and it was bigg laffs! The girls were major cute so we had to hang out! I remember this one gal from PL guard in '75, we were just starting to get along when we were walking up some stairs in the stands and she trips forward splitting her shoe sole and falls hard down the stairs (inches out of my reach) in front of dozens of drum corps fans who oooo'd then snickered--she must have died of embarrassment because she left quickly saying she'd be back and I never saw her again. Bummer. I always felt bad about that. Oh well that's my only Purple Lancers story.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it in 1973 that US Open prelims were held at another stadium that was out in the "boonies?"

Nope, same stadium. Our housing site, though, was definitely in the "boonies"!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I remember the 1977 American Legion Nationals in Denver, the week right after DCI championships in Denver. The prelims were held in Golden (I think) and it was a MUD PIT!!! Thank goodness our new uniforms were machine washable! They gave us a little extra time to warm up while they put straw on the field to try to soak up some of the mud.

Making finals was not a question at this show (I think we ended up 4th), so we concentrated on not losing our shoes in the mud and while resting, watching the hang gliders come off the nearby mountain and sail over the field. It was SO pretty!

jim

Edited by ajedrummer

I recall that in 1973 the Purple Lancers were in 1st place after the first day of prelims...sigh... we ended up 17th after corps that we had been beating all year had a better prelims spot and different panel of judges. There were 3 days of prelims in Whitewater I think...

DA

Yeah... tell me about it. 1977 DCI Midwest prelims, we went on before the 'block' (of the 10 or so top corps) since it was our first year in Open class. Three corps that we competed against regularly, and whom did not beat us either before or after that show went on after the 'block', and all three beat us that one time and kept us out of finals. :tongue:

As long as I am whining - Same show, 1976, we came in 11th..... the year they took 10 in finals. :worthy:

Looking at the number of corps though, I remember it being a goal for MANY corps to make top 25 - which back then gave you Associate Membership in DCI.

jim

I remember the 1977 American Legion Nationals in Denver, the week right after DCI championships in Denver. The prelims were held in Golden (I think) and it was a MUD PIT!!! Thank goodness our new uniforms were machine washable! They gave us a little extra time to warm up while they put straw on the field to try to soak up some of the mud.

Making finals was not a question at this show (I think we ended up 4th), so we concentrated on not losing our shoes in the mud and while resting, watching the hang gliders come off the nearby mountain and sail over the field. It was SO pretty!

jim

We were there in Golden as well. You would think an ENGINEERING school could design a field that would drain !! We had kids lose shoes in the mud. (Colorado School Of Mines)

We were there in Golden as well. You would think an ENGINEERING school could design a field that would drain !! We had kids lose shoes in the mud. (Colorado School Of Mines)

I guess nothing has changed in 32 years, because no one could figure out a drainage system for Lucas Oil, either.

Garry in Vegas

The three-day DCI open-class prelim was in 1974.

Also, in 1973, I believe the DCI member corps block performed on day one of prelims. Purple Lancers would have been in the lead up until the DCI block appeared, though.

I lost a girlfriend in my corps because that's all I wanted to do was sit and watch.

She was off doing other things.

Those were the days!!!

I gave up my ageout season for a girl.....

Good thing she married me!

Went to several DCI East prelims shows in the old prelims/finals format days. The best thing was the "open seating"...all tickets the same price, first-come-first-served seating. If you got there in the early morning before the gates opened, you could outrun people once those gates opened and get a prime seat on or near the 50-yard line, for a pretty good price.

AND - You could bring in your cooler with food and beverages (of ALL varieties if you were clever!)