Madison Scouts announce drum staff

As far as Nick Angelis goes, the leash had better be a short one. His behavior at Colts, Spirit, Blue Stars and Boston was less than desired. He is a very talented teacher and performer. I hope his maturity level reaches those same heights.

I only speak for the Blue Stars, but Nick was a professional and a joy to have involved with the corps' percussion program. We wish him nothing but success in his new position with the Scouts.

Brad

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone think of a corps in the past that has assembled a "dream team" staff like this (or something close) and can speak to how long it took to see the results? First year? second? Longer?

7 years...1st place...1991 :tongue:

I'm certainly not going to make any prediction on where the Scouts will place, but

anything is possible (although not necessarilly probable). Remember that not too long ago, the Scouts

went from a 14th place finish in 2002 to an 8th place finish in 2003. They did it under

similar circumstances where new staff members came in and made significant improvements

very quickly. We can also look at Carolina Crown as a great example. They were 16th in 2002,

and jumped up to 10th in 2003 (or was it 9th?) with an experienced staff that made great improvements

very quickly. And in Crown's case, they have never looked back. So here's to hoping for a dramatic

and sustained climb for the Madison Scouts....and with blow-the-house-down kind of shows!

Edited by madalumni

If I were under 22 again and was going to choose a drum corps to audition for this year, Madison Scouts would be near the top of my list. This is an incredible team of designers and instructors they have assembled and I have no doubt they will be back in the top 12 again. Now I can't wait to see their show!

Scouts, you have an incredible year ahead of you!

Wow! Just when I had given up on the prospect of a percussion staff announcement this week. Great additions!

And I'll jump on the Top 6 bandwagon. Not because I want to put any unrealistic expectations on the corps, but because of how much it seems to get under certain people's skin. :tongue:

OK, let me just start our by saying I am not slamming anyone I just have a couple of questions. I have been out of the loop for a little while. What are the roles of a caption consultant, supervisor and head. Which one of these guys has the final say? And Madison has put together a All Star staff for sure but when is the last time these guys designed a top show? Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, I just don't know the last thing these guys have done. I know there is a lot of Star and blast people but what top drum corps shows have they desinged in the last few years?

And I'll jump on the Top 6 bandwagon. Not because I want to put any unrealistic expectations on the corps, but because of how much it seems to get under certain people's skin. :lle:

For that reason alone, I will go with you on this. :tongue:

Wow! Just when I had given up on the prospect of a percussion staff announcement this week. Great additions!

And I'll jump on the Top 6 bandwagon. Not because I want to put any unrealistic expectations on the corps, but because of how much it seems to get under certain people's skin. :tongue:

LOL. Screw it, you heard it here first. Madison to win it all in 2010!

OK, let me just start our by saying I am not slamming anyone I just have a couple of questions. I have been out of the loop for a little while. What are the roles of a caption consultant, supervisor and head. Which one of these guys has the final say? And Madison has put together a All Star staff for sure but when is the last time these guys designed a top show? Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, I just don't know the last thing these guys have done. I know there is a lot of Star and blast people but what top drum corps shows have they desinged in the last few years?

I'm always curious as to what those titles mean as well. Position titles have become more and more obscure over the last decade it seems. I think it can run the gammet from being very involved with a presence at every camp and cameos during the summer along with being intimately involved in the design process, to offering a few opinions along the way and hardly ever being there in person.

I do not think there has ever been a staff assembled that is this incredible across the board as there is not any area that you look at and do not think WOW.

Also as someone that marched in 1985 as well as in the 90's with Star.... Madison is soooo far ahead of what where we were in 1985 from a talent level as well as experience level. Yes we had the luck of getting members from Bridgeman and Pride but we also had a LARGE number of people that in no way could make a top 20 corps. We had people that were learning how to play a brass instrument at each camp because they never had played one before and others that had never marched period.

In addition to that in our later years we were not full of talent and in many years did not even leave for tour with a full line. We were just a group that was committed to our approach, worked our tails off and had a great staff to lead us that we believed in. We always felt that if you lined us up player to player with the other top tier corps we were not individually talented but put us together as a line and we were good and then put us on the move and we tended to play as well as standing still.

I do not think top 6 is at all out of the question with the history of the Madison organization, talent that will return and also be attracted, and obviously the incredible staff that has been assembled. A lot of where they end up will be dependent on the internal leadership from the members and their desire to be as good as they possibly can without giving away the little things.

I just hope they are still loved the way Madison has been for years and are not negatively looked at because of their affiliation with old Star staff. I am excited to see what they bring and to see this staff working together.

JMO

Edited by General Blunt