The BD equipment thread

4/4 is "full size" and 5/4 is...well, bigger than full-size. Smaller tubas made for middle school students and the like are generally termed 3/4. The terms are somewhat relative, however

The terminology has been borrowed from the string instrument family, where the dimensions are much more standardized. Violins, violas, and cellos smaller than 4/4 are used only by students of smaller stature. But double basses often are 7/8 or 3/4 size. You'll even see 5/8 basses, with a caster on the peg, being marched by the Mummers.

A few tuba sellers are now marketing a "7/8" model. And some American-pattern baritone horns are being sold as "3/4 size euphoniums".

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to say that just because equipment today is far superior to equipment used "back in the day" doesn't mean it's good. I mean someone could make the argument that Mussolini was better than Hitler, but it's still a dictatorship, correct?

So yes, Dynasty instruments have gotten better even from the first year I played them. However, they (at least the high brass, because I know some tuba players actually prefer them) are still POS. King should be a significant upgrade.

OK, another drummer here with another question about horns.

Why do the vast majority of high school and college bands still use the sousaphone as opposed to the over the shoulder tubas used by drum corps? I've always heard that sousaphones have bad sound compared to the over the shoulder models. So why are they the horn of choice for schools?

OK, another drummer here with another question about horns.

Why do the vast majority of high school and college bands still use the sousaphone as opposed to the over the shoulder tubas used by drum corps? I've always heard that sousaphones have bad sound compared to the over the shoulder models. So why are they the horn of choice for schools?

Cost to replace any type of tuba is huge, and most schools do not have the luxury of replacing an entire line of horns. I would bet most schools can replace one or two horns at a time, and it would look a little silly to see, say, four sousaphones and two over-the-shoulder tubas on a field.

Cost to replace any type of tuba is huge, and most schools do not have the luxury of replacing an entire line of horns. I would bet most schools can replace one or two horns at a time, and it would look a little silly to see, say, four sousaphones and two over-the-shoulder tubas on a field.

There's also the ease of carry argument...easier to wear one than to carry it on one shoulder...do you really want some 14 year old dropping a marching tuba off the back of his shoulder?

There's also the ease of carry argument...easier to wear one than to carry it on one shoulder...do you really want some 14 year old dropping a marching tuba off the back of his shoulder?

Because contras in a high school band would look like crap. The kids would not be able to handle the horn well enough and with enough discipline to make it look decent, despite the sound quality advantages.

This is complete BS :laughing:

Anyway... I'm excited to hear BD's horn line. We all know what Phantom's switch to Jupiter did, so let's see what BD's switch does.

Because contras in a high school band would look like crap. The kids would not be able to handle the horn well enough and with enough discipline to make it look decent, despite the sound quality advantages.

The HS bands I have seen that DO use contra-style horns prove you wrong....

The HS bands I have seen that DO use contra-style horns prove you wrong....

Best band bass sounds I ever heard were from some bands in the mid 80's that marched a set of King BB-flat concert tubas, strapped to their backs, with brass sousaphone bells for forward projection. They were monsters and did not allow for much in the way of tuba section visual responsibility, but who cares! They sounded wonderful.