Mystikal Staff Resigns

No one ever said the corps was folding. The announcement was that the staff resigned. There has been no official word from the corps thus far.

There has been no FORMAL announcement that the organization will not be fielding a corps this year.

There are steps to take before an announcement can be made:

1. Proclaim that they will "rise from the ashes" and field a corps.

2. Scramble around having a panic attack trying to gather enough staff (and now members)

3. Then they will fail.

4. Then they will "take a season off to re-group"

5. Then they will fold

6. AND THEN you will get your formal announcement that you crave so dearly.

Another one bites the dust

And another one gone, and another one gone

All in all the whole situation stinks.

Its amazing that this activity can have huge highs and devistating lows all caused by the actions of a few.

Why does Open Class seem to have these problems?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, it isn't just OPen Class corps that have staff issues, or have an entire staff up and leave, or take a bunch of members elsewhere. It's been happening for decades and in every level of the activity. Open Class (and most DCA corps) just have a harder time coping with it because you don't have the same draw for both membership and/or staff that say, the Blue Devils have. It just makes it that much harder to regroup and continue.

P.S. - to be clear, I don't endorse the way this situation was handled. But I have no connection to any of the situation. I'm just another sad observer. All my comments were meant to do was clarfiy what HAS been made public in the hope that the discussion doesn't degarde further into heresay as in the above doom-spelling post.

Edited by Contraholic

P.S. - to be clear, I don't endorse the way this situation was handled. But I have no connection to any of the situation. I'm just another sad observer. All my comments were meant to do was clarfiy what HAS been made public in the hope that the discussion doesn't degarde further into heresay as in the above doom-spelling post.

I agree, the situation was handeled poorly. Juvenile even!

Let me clarify.

There has been no formal announcement that Mystikal is folding. That is between Mystikal and DCI.

The actual "dirty laundry" with this organization is not aired in this announcement, only that the staff resigned and why. This was done only out of necessity and as a last case result. There have been numerous, daunting messages left for my self and this staff in regards to Mystikal’s current and past "issues" and there has been no public announcement that we are no longer part of the organization, by no choice of our own. Based on this we needed to make public that we were no longer associated and to make aware the individual who is responsible for those issues and provide a point of contact.

Unless this was addressed publicly then we would continue to have to field negativity for things that are no fault of ours and be immersed in trying to explain this over and over, thus impeding us moving on. This is a very well read forum and this post was successful in accomplishing its point because the appropriate parties have seen it. In addition we would hope that it would encourage anyone who is approached to work for this group in the future to make sure it is in a better position than before and ask the “right” questions. I do not wish the same thing that happened to myself and this staff to happen to anyone. Until these matters are public, then it will keep happening to students and educators and it is truly unfair.

It's easy for people to assume that they know what is going on based on a generalized post, or the knowledge they have about how their organization is run, but the reality is much different. There have been many good points on this thread, and some not so good, but the bottom line still remains that this was the last effort in order for us to move on and shed light for future individuals associated with this group. It may not have been the best solution, but it was the only one we have not attempted. Bash as you will, it iwas expected, however I feel confident that this post achieved what it was intended for and, based on it's popularity, it will aide future individuals from enduring the same experience this staff went through in 09.

Chris Magonigal

Actually Chris, your posts have done several things.

1. Told the world that the ED doesn't pay his staff.

2. Told the kids in the corps that the staff has all left.

3. Told the members they have an open invitation to join you after you've made an official announcement about your "new" corps with "new" staff in the same area.

Btw, you still have to file for 501c3, find a home, file with DCI, get approved, design a show (and hopefully not the one you all had set up for Mystikal in 2010), get facilities, buy equipment, buy vehicles, find a generous donar, get insurance, .......... yeah.

4. Finished by telling the entire community to stop contacting you about issues that should go to the ED and posted his email.

5. Continue to fuel the fire.

I would suggest you request this thread be deleted.

Make a new post announcing the contact info for the Mystikal Executive Director

Make another new post announcing your new corps.

Keep it separated and you'll see how easy pimpin' izzzz.

This is what we call a perfect example. Please stop your assumptions -

1. Where does it say the ED does not pay his staff? In fact my entire staff volunteered to work for free last season.

2. Our kids knew about this long before this post. And they have been given the options and support to continue their drum corps experience. `

3. Our new venture, when the time comes, is no where near the same "area".

We are fully aware of what it takes to make this happen. Thanks for the advice.

4. That was the point as I mentioned before.

We will post an announcement about the our new developments when it is appropriate and things are in order.

I will ask that this post is removed as it has become a very trivial and silly thing to have to read replies like this. In the future might I suggest you stop assuming you know what you are talking about. We all know what assuming does. I am truly sorry that the truth is somehting that can not be shared to the public and maybe that is what is wrong with things today.

"Some human beings just never cease to amaze me in how they wish to critique before knowing the truth, and they don't know the truth because they enjoy the attention of there assumptions more than actually knowing. Maybe if they knew the actual truth there would be nothing to critique." - J.F.K.

Actually Chris, your posts have done several things.

1. Told the world that the ED doesn't pay his staff.

2. Told the kids in the corps that the staff has all left.

3. Told the members they have an open invitation to join you after you've made an official announcement about your "new" corps with "new" staff in the same area.

Btw, you still have to file for 501c3, find a home, file with DCI, get approved, design a show (and hopefully not the one you all had set up for Mystikal in 2010), get facilities, buy equipment, buy vehicles, find a generous donar, get insurance, .......... yeah.

4. Finished by telling the entire community to stop contacting you about issues that should go to the ED and posted his email.

5. Continue to fuel the fire.

Make a new post announcing the contact info for the Mystikal Executive Director

Make another new post announcing your new corps.

Keep it separated and you'll see how easy pimpin' izzzz.

I agree with Magonical, this thread should be removed.

“Silence is the universal refuge, the sequel to all dull discourses and all foolish acts, a balm to our every chagrin, as welcome after satiety as after disappointment”

Henry David Thoreau

Conflict resolution axiom:

Never assume that all the parties in the conflict want the conflict resolved - the friction may be the only control mechanism a given party has..........

Agreed. Stop the misinformation hemmorage.

the reason this crap doesn't happen in World class is because they are the SUCCESFUL (sp?) organizations. the open class ones are almost always "start-up" corps.

look at my sig. i know what i'm talking about. lol

Open class will always continue to shrink. that's just the nature of the beast...