Sound or Playing Quality

shh Jim. don't use logic in here when it comes to discussing DCA. most refuse to look past old stereotypes

even tho more than a few DCA lines on Bb are louder than top DCI lines

They sound like ### though, so it doesn't really matter.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sound like ### though, so it doesn't really matter.

so you think. I invite you to rochester for finals to see for yourself

so you think. I invite you to rochester for finals to see for yourself

I've seen videos, and heard recordings. I wouldn't blindly make a statement like that. The top 12 in DCI all sound far superior to even the gold medalist "corps" in DCA.

I have no animosity, its just honesty. IF the DCA groups sounded better, I'd be the first to admit it.

I've seen videos, and heard recordings. I wouldn't blindly make a statement like that. The top 12 in DCI all sound far superior to even the gold medalist "corps" in DCA.

I have no animosity, its just honesty. IF the DCA groups sounded better, I'd be the first to admit it.

i mostly agree with you that dci "corps" have superior sound quality to most dca "corps", but to make a huge blanket statement that they all sound like #### is incredible unfair. after i aged out, i found dca to be almost unbearable. then i got over the few instances of fluffy attacks, individuals sticking out of ensembles, holes in sound, and crass, blatty sounds here and there when i remembered how little time dca corps really do have to work on fundamentals of sound. i realized they really don't sound like #### if you just get over yourself.

also, imo, the gold medalist "corps" in dca is not the best example of brass playing in dca.

and, uh.. "corps"? no more or less than any "corps" in dci.

I've seen videos, and heard recordings.

But ya haven't been there in person.

Kinda like my Catholic high school. A priest taught sex education to the senior boys.

Thirty plus years ago... back in the day... the dark ages... when recaps were chiseled out on stone tablets... I went to my first Drum Corps audition.

Not knowing anything about the activity or what to expect, I asked other people waiting for their turn to try out just what the brass staff was looking for.

The first person said "range and power."

The second person said "tone quality, intonation, and finesse."

What else is there?

Whether or not we ever attained those lofty goals, we were trying, even back then, and I would imagine people who were in Drum Corps 20 years before me would say the same thing.

We want it all...

So which is it? Top 12 in DCI sound better than DCA or DCA sounds like ####. Sounds like yer trying to cover your butt either way.

And why is "corps" in quotes when referring to Reading?

PS - I have DVD and recordings too but speakers or headphones don't do justice to a DC/MB show. Or do you think the DCI recordings sound just like DCI corps live?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

well Id have to say the quality of it, because your sound you can change while playing with different mpcs or little add ons, but it doesnt do anyone good if you cant tune it or move valves, even if its the best sounding thing ever

well Id have to say the quality of it, because your sound you can change while playing with different mpcs or little add ons, but it doesnt do anyone good if you cant tune it or move valves, even if its the best sounding thing ever

Just wondering if you're making a general statement or have any particular corps in mind.