Sound or Playing Quality

So which is it? Top 12 in DCI sound better than DCA or DCA sounds like ####. Sounds like yer trying to cover your butt either way.

Both, actually.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen videos, and heard recordings. I wouldn't blindly make a statement like that. The top 12 in DCI all sound far superior to even the gold medalist "corps" in DCA.

I have no animosity, its just honesty. IF the DCA groups sounded better, I'd be the first to admit it.

if DCA could go every day all day for 3 months, yeah they wound better. but to say they sound like ### is a bit much

Sounding like a fine brass group is OK. Sounding like a kick ### LOUD brass group. Seems to win. Everytime !!!!!! Arguement over.

I've seen videos, and heard recordings. I wouldn't blindly make a statement like that. The top 12 in DCI all sound far superior to even the gold medalist "corps" in DCA.

I have no animosity, its just honesty. IF the DCA groups sounded better, I'd be the first to admit it.

You do realize that DCA Corps practice on weekends only, right? That's maybe 12-16 hours of good practice time a week, as opposed to a touring Corps' 12 hours a day practicing? I don't really think you can make comparisons like that. Even so, I've heard some DCA Corps that could surprise quite a few people in DCI. Reading, Minni Brass, and Renegades being only a few.

I don't understand why they have to be mutually exclusive concepts.

Honestly, if I want to hear a beautiful trumpet solo, I will go see the new york phil.

I want to get my face ripped off

Unfortunately for your comment many members are part of fine classical ensembles during the school year. They want an instrument that is going to ease the transition from drum corps to other ensembles.

You do realize that DCA Corps practice on weekends only, right? That's maybe 12-16 hours of good practice time a week, as opposed to a touring Corps' 12 hours a day practicing? I don't really think you can make comparisons like that. Even so, I've heard some DCA Corps that could surprise quite a few people in DCI. Reading, Minni Brass, and Renegades being only a few.

No slam intended at 'gades but thought of Buccs and MBI too on the sound. Buccs were always there most of their years and just glad I could see MBI be runner up the last two years. Really pleasing to me as during my last years in corps (first time) MBI had just started coming to DCA and was coming in 11th/12th. IOW - no in Finals but still on the record album.

Would ask jj his definition of "sound like ####" but after thinking about it, I really don't care until he hears them live. Have only bought one set of DVDs when I couldn't make Finals and the sound coming out of my TV is a poor substitute for the real thing. Even playing the CDs with high grade headphones just ain't the same, better than the TV but not the same. LOL, have recordings going back to 1950 and DCA Finals back to 1970 (still filling in that set). Could point to certain years where technology and/or mic placement really mugged things up. :lookaround: And going thru the years is a history of both DC and recording technology.

Edit: LMAO, friend of mine gave me a copy of 1978/1979 DCI Finals. Only saw this on TV but there were a few surprises when I heard the CDs. Picked out a couple of spots where individual horns were sticking out that were not heard from the TV. Like I said, mic placement can do a lot and the late 70s were a trial and error period of that.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Oh Hell now I scared everyone off.... :tongue:

Oh well..... time to get my stuff together for practice tomorrow anyway.... :tongue:

DCA Kicks butt !!!!!!!!