Bruckner in Drum Corps

i'm not opposed to new as long as it isnt chop and bop

It's rare that a classical drum corps arragnement isn't hacked into near unrecognizable snippets in different keys, with entire harmonic structures altered in ways that no doubt make the original composers cringe (or roll over in their graves), but make their estates enough money to make up for it. It's been that way for a very long time, and was often just as bad in the 70s as it is today.

If corps fundamentally alter and hack up Barber's Adagio, a 10 minute piece, it'll no doubt be much worse for anything Brucker, whether they play a single movement or otherwise.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ain't gunna happen. The good stuff takes too long to develop, and drum corps is all about 2-minute sound bites (and attention spans).

And besides, first, a high school would have to play it, so that DCI "creators" could hear what it sounds like! (Has any 21st century drum corps done something that a HS hasn't done first?)

For the record, a HS *HAS* done a Bruckner show: http://www.myspace.com/dickinsonhighschoolmarchingband

Very good arranging there... DCI corps could learn from that.

Though I lack the expertise to really talk about much of anything in your post, that high school arrangement is hot. I see no reason why a Corps couldn't do something similar.