Boston Crusader Question

dbg

Boston Area Corps, I believe.

While the corps has adopted the newer 'more evolved and appropriate for today' meaning of "Best American Corps", the original BAC evolved from the Crusaders 'back in the day' when drum corps was not as 'colorful' as it is now. Years ago, the Boston Crusaders consisted of mostly Boston Area kids. The corps was actually from South Boston. For those who don't know the reputation of 'South Boston', that was a tougher part of town. Consisting of mainly Irish 'hooligans'. ;o)

Let's just say it's easy for an Irish hot tempered kid from the hood to get into a scuffle... (I'm an Irish hot tempered guy, so I can say that) The Corps became known as the Corps you didn't want to mess with. They were tough, and the bond among members was and continues to be as tight as the Irish mob. If you messed with one Sader, you had the whole horn line and drum line on your butt.

To summarize, they became known as the "Bad ### Crusaders". (Pretty sure they can say that on the Simpson's, so I reckon it's safe here.) ;o)

I wouldn't try to cut their ranks!!

While the corps has adopted the newer 'more evolved and appropriate for today' meaning of "Best American Corps", the original BAC evolved from the Crusaders 'back in the day' when drum corps was not as 'colorful' as it is now. Years ago, the Boston Crusaders consisted of mostly Boston Area kids. The corps was actually from South Boston. For those who don't know the reputation of 'South Boston', that was a tougher part of town. Consisting of mainly Irish 'hooligans'. ;o)

Let's just say it's easy for an Irish hot tempered kid from the hood to get into a scuffle... (I'm an Irish hot tempered guy, so I can say that) The Corps became known as the Corps you didn't want to mess with. They were tough, and the bond among members was and continues to be as tight as the Irish mob. If you messed with one Sader, you had the whole horn line and drum line on your butt.

To summarize, they became known as the "Bad ### Crusaders". (Pretty sure they can say that on the Simpson's, so I reckon it's safe here.) ;o)

Pretty close. The Crusaders were from Hyde Park (which is part iof the city of Boston) and were origionally the Most Precious Blood Crusaders, Which was one of the parish churches in Hyde Park, the other being St.Adelberts. They grew away from the church as member s from other areas and other religious backgrounds became part of the corps. Drum corps was in many respects a neighborhood activity at the time these corps were formed , and the attitude and mannerisms were part of the area they came from. Yes you had some tough kids in drum corps at that time. Crusaders, Blessed Sac Golden Knights from Newark,N.J. Royalaires from Cicero, Illinois, St Vincents from Bayonne N.J. Of course times have changed, and there is no resemblqnce to that time period (which is a good thing) Needless to say , there were a few tilts after some of the shows. Most of those involved at that time are probably friends now and look back with amusement at drum corps in their day. One of the lines for BAC was B ring A C rowbar

Don't mess with the guard chicks either.

I heard a tale many years ago about a kid who kept trying to cut ranks in the contra line.

Said youngster was rendered unconscious.

End of story.

The A is for 'awesomest show of 2009'.