Should DCI and DCA Join Forces

Should DCA and DCI Merge  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that DCI and DCA should join forces?

• Yes
    • No

OK, you have me perplexed.

Why is no amount of cooperation between DCI and DCA satisfactory to you? Why is a merger the only answer? You've been discussing this for some time without explaining this.

Perhaps I'd understand you better if you elaborated. In your view, how would this DCI/DCA merger be structured? Who would be the voting member corps, and how would that be determined from year to year? Who would be on the working board of directors? How would money be distributed?

I never said that the merger was the only answer. What I said was that they should get together and try to work to insure the survival of drum corps. If they decided it made sense to pool their resourses and they saw a benefit to it then they could merge. If not they could find greater and greater ways to work together. Just going to each other shows and having banners does not mean that they actively work together to try to improve the state of drum corps in this country. DCA has good idea. DCI has good ideas.

I can see that there really is not way for the two groups to cooperate as shown by this thread. There are really too many philisophical differences between the two groups and it is really a shame that philosophy would keep two groups apart that need each other. I guess that this is nothing new as it happens everyday in the real world. It is sad that many times people only see what they should do when it is already too late to do it. I am guilty of this myself so I guess that it should not suprise me. Well, you live and you learn.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just going to each other shows and having banners does not mean that they actively work together to try to improve the state of drum corps in this country.

They do more than that but ####ed if I'm repeating what has already been posted......

Perhaps your bias is showing....

*CLICK*

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I don't believe it necessary for either to change their beliefs and functionality, the World Class and Open Class of Drum Corps International function separately, but work towards the common good. Adding the All Age element into the big picture would truely make Drum Corps International, Marching Musics Major League. It's difficult to claim that if a third of the activity is functioning outside the bubble.

Drum Corps isn't growing because as an activity it's fragmented.

My opinion.

Agree totally. That is the point I was trying to make.

They do more than that but ####ed if I'm repeating what has already been posted......

Perhaps your bias is showing....

*CLICK*

You are totally right. My bias is showing. I am biased towards DRUM CORPS. To me it doesn't matter which circuit, whereas to most of the posters against increased cooperation they have a preference. How can you have a preference if you are a true DRUM CORPS fan? It is beyond me to be able to answer that question.

I am sure most of you will be happy to hear this: I will not post anymore on this thread.

---------------------

So what is it that they do more of ????? Explain.

Does DCA share profits of shows with DCI or vise versa

Does DCI share administrative resources to run shows with DCA ??? or vise versa

Besides having one or two corps appear at each others events over the course of the year and hanging a banner or posting the champion on the websites of each group - - - What is it that they do more of ???

You have challenged those of us on this thread, so now I challenge you what else is it that they do ????

To me - and I will give credit to Jeff here for adding legitimate information and data on this thread....... the only thing both organizations do - is provide a show circuit for people to perform.

DCA has changed, that doesn't necessarily mean they do MORE, it just means that they have changed to the changing demands to a certain degree.

Both groups run shows, support championships, and have websites - - Thats great. Like I said before it is something, which is better than nothing.

Both groups are running against a tide of increasing demands of money, time and space.

What are both groups doing (Jeff I will throw you a bone here, in that DCA has some adjustments completed) to protect the activity (not just their own private domains that they rule) ????? Specifically.

To leave would be your choice. I say to stay and help both circuits would be the prefered option, but DCA will use electronics in the near future. Then what will you do?

Since you seem to be the all knowing of the future could you give me a few stock tips?

I don't believe it necessary for either to change their beliefs and functionality, the World Class and Open Class of Drum Corps International function separately, but work towards the common good. Adding the All Age element into the big picture would truely make Drum Corps International, Marching Musics Major League. It's difficult to claim that if a third of the activity is functioning outside the bubble.

Drum Corps isn't growing because as an activity it's fragmented.

My opinion.

If you look at the stats,.............I think you will find that DCA and affiliates comprise a lot more that 1/3 of the activity in terms of number of corps involved including: Open, Class A, Mini Corps and Alumni, ,..........This year at DCA finals weekend there were 56 corps that performed, and many others who stayed home,...............Heck, you'll even find that DCA has enbraced several corps with much larger former ties to juniors rather than all age such as The Bridgemen, Boston Crusaders Alumni, St. Joe's of Batavia who still carry their names proudly with DCA affiliations,.............

Fair 'nuff davla00.

Didn't link to it but mainly referring to the info that audiodb posted about DCA people at DCI meetings. Also thinking of the posts mentioning that DCA and DCI board members do communicate with each other. Reason why I posted in a hot manner is because Relmquists post made it sound that the ONLY times DCA/DCI work together is to have combined shows and hang each others banners. Just tired of him/her ignoring the posts stating otherwise. Point is both boards DO care about the future of ALL Drum Corps and not just their own group. And they DO communicate. Just #### sick and tired of posts slamming these boards because they do not work under one umbrella.

PS - Just wondering what you mean by DCAs "adjustments completed".

To answer relmqusits post:

"You are totally right. My bias is showing. I am biased towards DRUM CORPS. To me it doesn't matter which circuit, whereas to most of the posters against increased cooperation they have a preference. How can you have a preference if you are a true DRUM CORPS fan? It is beyond me to be able to answer that question"

Answer: I don't go to DCI shows because I don't care for the current style of shows. BUT I still care about DCI and ALL OTHER types of corps. I have done more recently than mouth off to help DCI but how is a personal matter. IMO, the circuits can do a better job working together as seperate entities.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Heck, you'll even find that DCA has enbraced several corps with much larger former ties to juniors rather than all age such as The Bridgemen, Boston Crusaders Alumni, St. Joe's of Batavia who still carry their names proudly with DCA affiliations,.............

LOL, Sacramento Freelancers Mini Corps, St Kevins Mini, Star United Mini, Crossmen Xtreme Mini....

Funny as Hell seeing Star United Mini (Star of Indiana Alumni IIRC) giving an exhibition at DCA Finals while the corps are getting ready for retreat. Not to mention the ad shown on the big screen at Prelims last year. Can't remember who it was for but had the Cavaliers on it. Saw that enough times we almost had it memorized. :laugh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

You are totally right. My bias is showing. I am biased towards DRUM CORPS. To me it doesn't matter which circuit, whereas to most of the posters against increased cooperation they have a preference. How can you have a preference if you are a true DRUM CORPS fan? It is beyond me to be able to answer that question.

I am sure most of you will be happy to hear this: I will not post anymore on this thread.

Until you (all of us) realize that there are more than one style of drum corps in this day and age you will not understand why some of us choose one circuit over the other. Good for you if you are what you consider to be a true drum corps fan. I consider myself a true drum corps fan also. However, in what I enjoy seeing, I no longer feel DCI fullfills my true drum corps description. That being said, I feel no need to support that "part" of the drum corps community.

I just don't understand why "drum corps" people feel you are obligated to always support an activity for the rest of your life when you no longer find it worth supporting. What if MLB decided to get rid of pitchers and started using a pitching machine? If I no longer felt that was "true baseball" would I be told I need to support baseball for the rest of my life because I enjoyed it for so many years previously?