The history of the Westshoremen

It's okay, Scott- but sheesh- just been trying to explain some things to a couple of semi obstinate folks that Ream also drives nuts here (don't get certain aspects about judges beyond the fact they're all incompetent and only good to blame for their corps failure to win everything in the universe or why they do not make finals) :thumbup: , and it really made me think about some things and it was a learning experience in some good ways for me. Very introspective.

Another "...thing I learned at Westshore and never really knew I learned but was in the back of my head all this time..." :cool: :

Being insecure about your ability or talent in this activity is the frikkin' kiss of death.

Whether you perform, teach, or judge. You have to know you can do it, and maybe you're not the most talented cat, but by God, you're gonna work hard, you're gonna be as good as you can, you're gonna believe in yourself and your friends, and you're gonna perform, teach, or judge, and throw it down hard and be great.

Man, Truman wasn't insecure about himself. His confidence was infectious!

People from other corps that stick in my head- George, Jimmy, Butch, Konga, Pepe, David Bruni- insecure about their ability to make things happen and be a champ? Umm, no. Not those guys!

Dave was quiet, but he knew where he wanted us to be and he knew he would got us there, and I know I still feel a foot taller when he's in front of the hornline at alumni. One of those "Go out there and fight legends and kick their XXXXX because we worked hard today and know our crap as much as they do or more!" feeling. :worthy:

Eric Kitchenmen? Rich, John Kreitzer... insecure? Pfff. Nuh-uh. Frank, nope. Ray Eyler, no.

It ain't being cocky. Just knowing you can do it and not worrying about failing in the back of your head or whether you goofed or will goof. Knowing you still got stuff to learn and you'd better keep learning or your brain ends up like a zombie's. Gary was big on that, and yeah, he's not an insecure guy either.

I guess I'm shocked when Ream or I or a couple of others say what's on our minds and are being honest and forthright and people just flinch and panic. And they've been around some good people who certainly weren't insecure, too! Any one that projects confidence and any thoughfulness in their genuinely held beliefs freak them out! Crazy. Ream will point out stuff to me I haven't thunk of, and I'm like- "Yeah, I didn't think of that! So, where does that lead now? Maybe I have to be more thoughtful about where the truth lies on this subject..." It engages me, it doesn't scare me! Why does it scare others, especially Drum Corps people? :huh:

Just wanted to talk to guys I've been there and done that with about this stuff. I know I'm not crazy- well, about not being insecure...... :tongue:

I just say what I have tosay. if they're too dumb to getit, it justgivesmethe opportunityto a) educate b) insult

One of the things I learned early on from Skee during band rehearsals was "don't be afraid to make a mistake, if you're gonna screw up, make it a good one, and if you're gonna do a REALLY good one, wait until finals when they are recording it!" :thumbup:

Then 20 years later you can listen to the album and go "yeah, that was me!" :doh:

Case in point: Rickie Lee at the end of either 82 or 83 (or maybe 84...gotta listen to stuff) Robbie Robinson during a snare entrance during the drum solo for Devils 1981, Me at the last push during the end of the Shostakovich's 5th, early cymbal entrance. :doh:

But the bottom line is, yeah, don't be afraid in this activity, you'll get eaten up, chewed up, an spit out like crazeee!! :w00t:

I like performances that lay it all out! :worthy:

Rick was 83 when hebroke his finger on the last note of the show

I just say what I have tosay. if they're too dumb to getit, it justgivesmethe opportunityto a) educate b) insult

Jeff, I busted out laughing pretty hard when I read this. I normally don't do that. Thank you.

Now you mention it, I try to "A" very, very much,. I think a lot of people wonder who those people are in the press box, and what they're thinking about. It's not some evil plot going on. What kills me is how people would think using a tote sheet/rundowns and making scores relate to previous ones you have given when the performances are similar in quality or difficulty is wrong!

How else do they think you do it?

I try not to be insulting, I try to be funny- but Lordy!

I think a lot of it is they want

Ticks brought back as if that would change things...

Clap shows so they can stack the deck and stuff the ballot boxes...

Or a cast of idiots in the box that they can browbeat and threaten into their way of thinking instead of thoughtful experienced people who yes- have opinions and facts- and will defend them.

Just crazy! I can't think of any staff member out there who would want any of those above three things, LOL. I'd rather get ripped apart honestly and know where I stand and what to do to fix the mess I made and how I roughly relate to my competitors, and I know that's not just me thinking that way. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

the world has proven Dub that there is no cure for stupidity. If you try to educate and it still doesn't sink, start with sarcasm. The really smart people will get it. Then, just go "Jeff Ream" on them as I call it, and pretty much everyone but the truly stupid get it.

Now I will say this...if DCI, DCA etc were a little more open about how the judging process works....then maybe people would get it more.

the world has proven Dub that there is no cure for stupidity. If you try to educate and it still doesn't sink, start with sarcasm. The really smart people will get it. Then, just go "Jeff Ream" on them as I call it, and pretty much everyone but the truly stupid get it.

Now I will say this...if DCI, DCA etc were a little more open about how the judging process works....then maybe people would get it more.

YES.

I also think there's a level of mistrust with some people that's incredible. You know- I started doing it because I wanted to understand and know what was going on before I started mouthing off about it and throwing bricks at the judges. 27 years later- I'm still at it, and it was a good thing my curiosity led me to it and I got involved in a positive way and grew up a lot as a result. Hard to believe I started doing it when I was 21 and change.

Edited by BigW

YES.

I also think there's a level of mistrust with some people that's incredible. You know- I started doing it because I wanted to understand and know what was going on before I started mouthing off about it and throwing bricks at the judges. 27 years later- I'm still at it, and it was a good thing my curiosity led me to it and I got involved in a positive way and grew up a lot as a result. Hard to believe I started doing it when I was 21 and change.

dude we face it every Saturday night in the fall. to quote Will Smith, "Parents just don't understand"

dude we face it every Saturday night in the fall. to quote Will Smith, "Parents just don't understand"

I've talked to a lot of parents over many years, and when I explain it, they get it. That was the first time I've ran into people who don't get it!

I've talked to a lot of parents over many years, and when I explain it, they get it. That was the first time I've ran into people who don't get it!

now you know where I teach and how I teach with. We explain it to the parentsall the time. Some still just don't get it. In many cases, if the unit director doesn't get it, it spreads to the kids and parents.

and of course those directors can't be bothered to come to the clinics where maybe they could learn.

I once got cornered by a staff member after a show who wanted to badger me about the decisions laid forth that night. I guess in critique he did not get the answers he wanted. So, I pulled out a blank copy of the sheet, went over it line by line,and suddenly he got it. I told him that stuff was all broken down at the clinic and he looked at me like I had 4 heads. I explained it was open to all, not just judges, and he was amazed.

He emailed me 3 days later. he told his director about my taking thetime to explain that to him, and about the clinic being open to all, and the director said I was full of ####.

Guess which director to this day still complains that TOB hates him and his band and doesnt get the judging system?

you can't fix stupid. But man, can it be fun to make fun of

now you know where I teach and how I teach with. We explain it to the parentsall the time. Some still just don't get it. In many cases, if the unit director doesn't get it, it spreads to the kids and parents.

and of course those directors can't be bothered to come to the clinics where maybe they could learn.

I once got cornered by a staff member after a show who wanted to badger me about the decisions laid forth that night. I guess in critique he did not get the answers he wanted. So, I pulled out a blank copy of the sheet, went over it line by line,and suddenly he got it. I told him that stuff was all broken down at the clinic and he looked at me like I had 4 heads. I explained it was open to all, not just judges, and he was amazed.

He emailed me 3 days later. he told his director about my taking thetime to explain that to him, and about the clinic being open to all, and the director said I was full of ####.

Guess which director to this day still complains that TOB hates him and his band and doesnt get the judging system?

you can't fix stupid. But man, can it be fun to make fun of

I like Ron White, too. :thumbup:

What scares me is this-- well, not scres, conerns:

Kid gripes about the score not going up even though they got better Sat to Sun. Told the kid- If I was in your horn line and heard that or on staff, during a break, we'd sit and talk- that kind of attitude's poison. Buck up, move on, work harder!

Then, a vet from same corps basically impklies that previous reads are always flawed and should not be used to consider scores. Implies Judges are prtty much boneheads, can't remember anything. Now I know this a small sampling of the corps-- but if this kid is hearing crap like that from vets in the corps... where else do you hear it from, maybe staff-- It tells me a HEAP about the recent DCA history of this corps!

I mean, yeah we'd get frustrated BITD, but Ray, Dave, Rich, they'd say to work those frustrations out and work harder in practice to give no one any excuses! if WE did the job, THEY could do the job in critique and defend us!

All I am gonna say, is no finals appearances since they showe d up in 03. Bushwackers taking a thumping but still working their collective butts off to get somewhere, anywhere instead of cry. They have my DEEP respect for that regardless of whatever score they end up with. I just see a potential clamity and a hard learned lesson for the whiners, IF they will EVER learn it.

I think I know the corps you mean. well.....yeah nuff said.

and there is NO rule that says scores should go up every week exceptin USSBA. Hence why I hate the profiles in TOB