The history of the Westshoremen

that showison the DCI LegacyCollection dvds. Love it!

that showison the DCI LegacyCollection dvds. Love it!

It's a shame it's not on the CD's though! Fortunately for the albums and CD's there was a tie and technically 13 corps that year..but no Bayonne!

I know I heard a taped copy from somewhere bitd. I'm guessing it was someone that was over at Bowsers house, which at the time was where I heard a LOT of stuff from different people. Trying to remember, did they make the finals broadcast? I know I saw parts of it, but not all of it.

well yes and no. they sued to perform and did, but thanks to the State House, PA didn't see them as the show was cut off due to budget til the replay whenever that was

Jeff, no problem. I figured too much smurf juice.

Bob, since I'm on the road, I have to use the phone to check in when I get a chance.

We just went through Connecticut and I kept thinking the something, "look out the window." ($1 to Fran)

Jeff, no problem. I figured too much smurf juice.

Bob, since I'm on the road, I have to use the phone to check in when I get a chance.

We just went through Connecticut and I kept thinking the something, "look out the window." ($1 to Fran)

smurf juice. Wow I havent had that in over 10 years

It's okay, Scott- but sheesh- just been trying to explain some things to a couple of semi obstinate folks that Ream also drives nuts here (don't get certain aspects about judges beyond the fact they're all incompetent and only good to blame for their corps failure to win everything in the universe or why they do not make finals) :thumbup: , and it really made me think about some things and it was a learning experience in some good ways for me. Very introspective.

Another "...thing I learned at Westshore and never really knew I learned but was in the back of my head all this time..." :cool: :

Being insecure about your ability or talent in this activity is the frikkin' kiss of death.

Whether you perform, teach, or judge. You have to know you can do it, and maybe you're not the most talented cat, but by God, you're gonna work hard, you're gonna be as good as you can, you're gonna believe in yourself and your friends, and you're gonna perform, teach, or judge, and throw it down hard and be great.

Man, Truman wasn't insecure about himself. His confidence was infectious!

People from other corps that stick in my head- George, Jimmy, Butch, Konga, Pepe, David Bruni- insecure about their ability to make things happen and be a champ? Umm, no. Not those guys!

Dave was quiet, but he knew where he wanted us to be and he knew he would got us there, and I know I still feel a foot taller when he's in front of the hornline at alumni. One of those "Go out there and fight legends and kick their XXXXX because we worked hard today and know our crap as much as they do or more!" feeling. :worthy:

Eric Kitchenmen? Rich, John Kreitzer... insecure? Pfff. Nuh-uh. Frank, nope. Ray Eyler, no.

It ain't being cocky. Just knowing you can do it and not worrying about failing in the back of your head or whether you goofed or will goof. Knowing you still got stuff to learn and you'd better keep learning or your brain ends up like a zombie's. Gary was big on that, and yeah, he's not an insecure guy either.

I guess I'm shocked when Ream or I or a couple of others say what's on our minds and are being honest and forthright and people just flinch and panic. And they've been around some good people who certainly weren't insecure, too! Any one that projects confidence and any thoughfulness in their genuinely held beliefs freak them out! Crazy. Ream will point out stuff to me I haven't thunk of, and I'm like- "Yeah, I didn't think of that! So, where does that lead now? Maybe I have to be more thoughtful about where the truth lies on this subject..." It engages me, it doesn't scare me! Why does it scare others, especially Drum Corps people? :huh:

Just wanted to talk to guys I've been there and done that with about this stuff. I know I'm not crazy- well, about not being insecure...... :tongue:

People from other corps that stick in my head- George, Jimmy, Butch, Konga, Pepe, David Bruni- insecure about their ability to make things happen and be a champ? Umm, no. Not those guys!

Dave was quiet, but he knew where he wanted us to be and he knew he would got us there, and I know I still feel a foot taller when he's in front of the hornline at alumni. One of those "Go out there and fight legends and kick their XXXXX because we worked hard today and know our crap as much as they do or more!" feeling. :worthy:

Eric Kitchenmen? Rich, John Kreitzer... insecure? Pfff. Nuh-uh. Frank, nope. Ray Eyler, no.

*sniff, sniff*... Not even an "Honorable Mention" shutup.gif

w00t.gif

w00t.gif

:thumbup:

Tony's the BOMB!!!! :worthy:

It's okay, Scott- but sheesh- just been trying to explain some things to a couple of semi obstinate folks that Ream also drives nuts here (don't get certain aspects about judges beyond the fact they're all incompetent and only good to blame for their corps failure to win everything in the universe or why they do not make finals) :thumbup: , and it really made me think about some things and it was a learning experience in some good ways for me. Very introspective.

Another "...thing I learned at Westshore and never really knew I learned but was in the back of my head all this time..." :cool: :

Being insecure about your ability or talent in this activity is the frikkin' kiss of death.

Whether you perform, teach, or judge. You have to know you can do it, and maybe you're not the most talented cat, but by God, you're gonna work hard, you're gonna be as good as you can, you're gonna believe in yourself and your friends, and you're gonna perform, teach, or judge, and throw it down hard and be great.

Man, Truman wasn't insecure about himself. His confidence was infectious!

It ain't being cocky. Just knowing you can do it and not worrying about failing in the back of your head or whether you goofed or will goof. Knowing you still got stuff to learn and you'd better keep learning or your brain ends up like a zombie's. Gary was big on that, and yeah, he's not an insecure guy either.

I guess I'm shocked when Ream or I or a couple of others say what's on our minds and are being honest and forthright and people just flinch and panic. And they've been around some good people who certainly weren't insecure, too! Any one that projects confidence and any thoughfulness in their genuinely held beliefs freak them out! Crazy. Ream will point out stuff to me I haven't thunk of, and I'm like- "Yeah, I didn't think of that! So, where does that lead now? Maybe I have to be more thoughtful about where the truth lies on this subject..." It engages me, it doesn't scare me! Why does it scare others, especially Drum Corps people? :huh:

Just wanted to talk to guys I've been there and done that with about this stuff. I know I'm not crazy- well, about not being insecure...... :tongue:

One of the things I learned early on from Skee during band rehearsals was "don't be afraid to make a mistake, if you're gonna screw up, make it a good one, and if you're gonna do a REALLY good one, wait until finals when they are recording it!" :thumbup:

Then 20 years later you can listen to the album and go "yeah, that was me!" :doh:

Case in point: Rickie Lee at the end of either 82 or 83 (or maybe 84...gotta listen to stuff) Robbie Robinson during a snare entrance during the drum solo for Devils 1981, Me at the last push during the end of the Shostakovich's 5th, early cymbal entrance. :doh:

But the bottom line is, yeah, don't be afraid in this activity, you'll get eaten up, chewed up, an spit out like crazeee!! :w00t:

I like performances that lay it all out! :worthy:

w00t.gif

LOL. Tony- let me put it this way- Fran is the same way.

I think BITD you had two kinds of DCA peeps. There were the flamboyant, crazy people that got crazy, were extremely extroverted with their on field personalities and fired people up that way.

You and Fran were the scary quiet guys like Dave Rohrer. Very professional, had their act together, and knew what it was about and took care of business on the field where it counted. Sun had a lot of guys like that. If anyone was the crazy guy, it would be Screech, but again, he just went up there when he had to and DID it, leaving people thinking "xxxx! That guy can PLAY!"

Let's add you and Screech and Fran to the list- when you were on the podium, you didn't have a thought in the back of your head you couldn't do it or that you'd blow it, did you? If you did, you knocked it out of there ASAP. If you'd have been outwardly shaky- the hornline at least would have known it, and it would have shaken them, too. You didn't fight off Westshore being shaky and second guessing yourself. :cool: I had a conversation with a young person about just this not too long ago. She was a soloist, and I told her- "Relax! You know what you're doing, it'll be FINE! Never doubt yourself when you pick up the horn!"

The same when you judge! I always pray quietly before I get out there that I do the very best job I can when I do it, bring my A-game, and to be confident in my decisions and fair. The same thing. It just seems some people get scared by this!