The history of the Westshoremen

Actually the first time that happened was 1986, Bushwackers

Frank would be correct.

Frank would be correct.

I was left with the impression somewhere that 96 was the only time that happened, but I'm not suprised.

I'm thinking it could well happen again this year. I'll post up some kind of "Un-review/Rachaha breakdown the situation article" later.

I know the zen of the board is one thing, and the madding crowd will hate me for saying it- Unless MBI made some serious visual strides in terms of ensemble visual design and transitional flow, and their guard hikes it up a notch- they'll be hard against it to beat Reading, going on last or not. The judging panels aren't morons, they know the situation in hand, and will call things the way they happen, not blindly go by order of appearance.

And I know they had holes, even with the holes, the transitional flow and elegance of design was lacking. The Hurcs have a serious lead on MBI in that department for that matter.

Another thing that bothered me was the lack of "Musical Moments"- I think they were there- but they didn't manage to pull them off at Bucknell and grab me. I know, they're GOOD, YES... but there just felt like enough issues there to make me hold off on anointing them the Champs of that they have a really decent chance to pull it off.

When I saw them in Scranton in '09, I was way more into the zen of what they did. They just seem to have a TON more sizzle when they do rock-em-sockem-go-for-the-throat jazz.

Need my sleep, just kinda bouncing some thoughts off the guys and gals who come visit us Westshore crazies.

What we saw from MBI is not what will be seen next week. Why did they come East so early?

Get a read, then have lots of time to go home, clean and make changes.

Not to say they will win or Bucs will win. I thought at Lewisburg with cleaning, holes filled, and some tweaks they had a shot. Time will tell if it happens.

Also, Bucs have been getting scores that are performer over the book or really close to flatlined between the boxes. That's not good is MBI cleans up.

The real question is that entertainment caption. right now, scores seem to go MBI's way.

we'll see

oh and as for 96 prelims.....we sucked and Cabs played a great show.

I still lvoe how people claim Westshore had "friends" on the panel.

yeah that field brass guy, an alumnus, Dave Rohrer. Yeah he had his 3rd. Some love :tongue:

What we saw from MBI is not what will be seen next week. Why did they come East so early?

Get a read, then have lots of time to go home, clean and make changes.

Not to say they will win or Bucs will win. I thought at Lewisburg with cleaning, holes filled, and some tweaks they had a shot. Time will tell if it happens.

Also, Bucs have been getting scores that are performer over the book or really close to flatlined between the boxes. That's not good is MBI cleans up.

The real question is that entertainment caption. right now, scores seem to go MBI's way.

we'll see

oh and as for 96 prelims.....we sucked and Cabs played a great show.

I still lvoe how people claim Westshore had "friends" on the panel.

yeah that field brass guy, an alumnus, Dave Rohrer. Yeah he had his 3rd. Some love :tongue:

The point is excellent about bottom over top. Dangerous to hit that mark before championships.

I have my guesses about what Dave was thinking- talking to some 96 guys I know well, the hornline was more of a battering ram than a rapier, kinda like a tank that just drives through the walls. I thnk that was what was needed, though- the strategy paid off. Get a big sound from horns, and I mean BIG SOUND to compliment that killer juggernaut of a battery, and it would push percussion scores through the roof the way DCA sheets read at the time. Keep it close on the brass sheets, a tenth or two, and percussion would just torpedo everyone else and sink 'em. Strategy is part of the activity. It'll be interesting to see what corp's strategy will pay off next weekend.

And yeah.. Dave hadn't been involved with Westshore for 13 years in 1996. I have heard enough stories here about the Cabs in the early DCA years trying to get people with connections to them onto DCA panels. And for that matter, like someone else was "nice" to Westshore's horns in that period... :innocent:

problem in 96 was some spots should have been watered...too many notes. never really happened

W...what were you judging when I saw you in 88 when I was with Reading? I just remember after the show Ron Gehris going "you really shouldn't talk to the judges before we play" :doh:

we always talked to the judges on the field. Some of it was even nice

:devil:

we always talked to the judges on the field. Some of it was even nice

I was in the pit that year, and he saw me, walked up and we were chatting after I finished putting everything together and was waiting for he corps to enter...maybe because when we saw me he shook my hand or something...but the funny part was at a FEW shows Mickey Petrone came up and started shooting the #### with me :blink: Never met the man before that year, but for some reason, he always wandered by and said something to me....Ron never balked at THAT?!?

One thing that was always funny was when I was in high school, and judges referred to me by name on the tapes! :tongue: Used to pizz my band director off to no end!

it's tough as a judge if you know kids to not call em byname on tape. With my experiences doing the TOB All Star Band, I know 28 kids around TOB annually,and I see em in the fall.

Of course Ron wouldnt balk atyou talking to Mickey. Who wants to #### Mickey off?

Tom Brown and I had some fun chats on the field. Dave Gambal and Scott Wolfinger, well, they got talked to "to"not "with"

it's tough as a judge if you know kids to not call em byname on tape. With my experiences doing the TOB All Star Band, I know 28 kids around TOB annually,and I see em in the fall.

Of course Ron wouldnt balk atyou talking to Mickey. Who wants to #### Mickey off?

Tom Brown and I had some fun chats on the field. Dave Gambal and Scott Wolfinger, well, they got talked to "to"not "with"

Speaking of Tom, I had lunch with him when I was in Phoenix, we had a blast! :thumbup:

I forget who all mentioned my name, I think one was Bill Szydlo, someone else (I really don't remember) during our drum solo sampled the "triple" player and gushed at my technique, then said "Nice job Benny!"...Sam wasn't pleased! They weren't judging drums way back then so thankfully that saved my arse! :tongue: