The history of the Westshoremen

I'll have to check that out... That reminds me...I have to find an old WSM tape from "Bawb O Connow" from 83 finals...Billy K handed it to me after we came off the field and said "I don't need to listen to this, you guys were amazing"! :thumbup:

I think it may have been execution :blink:

I have some Bob tapes from my many years in TOB. I'd love to hear 90 finals from him again, but I know if I do, i'll get ###### off all over again.

I have THE Charlie Poole tape from Bucs 2000 finals...I gotta get that on digital. " Bass drums good God...those are some mammoth moments out there " and "the playing speaks for itself".

balls call...9.9 with 3 lines to go

I have some Bob tapes from my many years in TOB. I'd love to hear 90 finals from him again, but I know if I do, i'll get ###### off all over again.

I have THE Charlie Poole tape from Bucs 2000 finals...I gotta get that on digital. " Bass drums good God...those are some mammoth moments out there " and "the playing speaks for itself".

balls call...9.9 with 3 lines to go

I don['t have copies, but have you ever heard Bart Sando tapes? I remember when we were doing indoor he would do a run down of who he thought the particular part reminded him of... "Wow, nice bass feature, reminds me of a part that Christos Theo wrote for the Scouts in 1978" "Snare's reminiscent of Tom Float's writing for Devil's ...yadda yadda yadda" Apparently the guy was a wealth of knowledge of what was going on, but egads! :blink: talk about confusing tapes!?!? Did you LIKE it, or did it just remind you of something?!?! :blink:

I don['t have copies, but have you ever heard Bart Sando tapes? I remember when we were doing indoor he would do a run down of who he thought the particular part reminded him of... "Wow, nice bass feature, reminds me of a part that Christos Theo wrote for the Scouts in 1978" "Snare's reminiscent of Tom Float's writing for Devil's ...yadda yadda yadda" Apparently the guy was a wealth of knowledge of what was going on, but egads! :blink: talk about confusing tapes!?!? Did you LIKE it, or did it just remind you of something?!?! :blink:

no I dont. last tape I would have gotten from Bart would have been 98, and we burned it at Littlestown HS in the lot.

he said in critique "well it's not a matter of liking BD or SCV", and I said "great, now talk about Mechanicsburg and Lancaster Catholic". Bottom line is he knew he ####ed up, we knew he ####ed up and called him on it, and when he tried to BS his way out of it with his name dropping, we called him on that too.

drove to a show with him once. Tried telling me how back in the 60's and 70's he used to call Tex Schrammand offer advice for the Dallas Cowboys.

I was never so glad to get home from a show in WV in my life

no I dont. last tape I would have gotten from Bart would have been 98, and we burned it at Littlestown HS in the lot.

he said in critique "well it's not a matter of liking BD or SCV", and I said "great, now talk about Mechanicsburg and Lancaster Catholic". Bottom line is he knew he ####ed up, we knew he ####ed up and called him on it, and when he tried to BS his way out of it with his name dropping, we called him on that too.

drove to a show with him once. Tried telling me how back in the 60's and 70's he used to call Tex Schrammand offer advice for the Dallas Cowboys.

I was never so glad to get home from a show in WV in my life

Bowser used to be highly impressed with his overt knowledge of DCI lines and some of the crazy things he pulled out of his butt to offer as comparisons, but I always thought he was hiding the fact that he didn't have any tangible percussion knowledge (much like how Bowser was...mega fan, listened to everyone, and could even fake his way through PLAYING it, but didn't know how to explain what he just talked about) (and remember, Bowser was a brass player, that LOVED drums) Brian, hated when he was on the panel, but went in, I avoided most of the postmortems because I knew what he was going to say, and not offer anything worthwhile...Bowser just liked listening to the dude. When I went to Crest to give Steve a hand, it was just after he left, and those guys were all "clones" at that point, always jamming on DCI solos, which as a "tool" wasn't a bad thing, but they didn't like the fact that Steve wasn't writing "DCI" parts into the breaks. Those guys had unreal chops for a high school line, and it was because they digested DCI recordings like candy!

Someone (Jeff) mentioned Charlie Poole, A MUST listen:

Go to YouTube, Search "This Could be Hellacious". 1992 late season Crossmen Charlie Poole tape. It's in 2 parts.

I can almost see what Charlie sees and feel what he feels, honest, exacting, thoughtful, etc. Some Hornline issues where it's cringeworthy, but dear God, what a percussion run.

I'm not a percussionist, but Part 2, 2 minutes 10 to 14, dear God, that battery just plays it's smokin' ### off and tells you how good they are.

Work calls. Really, Ben, MUST, MUST listen. Even a guy like me learned a lot from this and enjoyed it and it's a great tape if you forgive the horn indiscretions at times.

Bowser used to be highly impressed with his overt knowledge of DCI lines and some of the crazy things he pulled out of his butt to offer as comparisons, but I always thought he was hiding the fact that he didn't have any tangible percussion knowledge (much like how Bowser was...mega fan, listened to everyone, and could even fake his way through PLAYING it, but didn't know how to explain what he just talked about) (and remember, Bowser was a brass player, that LOVED drums) Brian, hated when he was on the panel, but went in, I avoided most of the postmortems because I knew what he was going to say, and not offer anything worthwhile...Bowser just liked listening to the dude. When I went to Crest to give Steve a hand, it was just after he left, and those guys were all "clones" at that point, always jamming on DCI solos, which as a "tool" wasn't a bad thing, but they didn't like the fact that Steve wasn't writing "DCI" parts into the breaks. Those guys had unreal chops for a high school line, and it was because they digested DCI recordings like candy!

Oh I would do that too...even my mom knew how to play Suncoast 85 after a while.

as a tech, there some critiques I skipped, but some I just couldnt stay away from for entertainment purposes. Once in 98, the whole drum staff went in, basically had the guy surrounded (not Bart) and fired off shots one after another, never gave the guy a chance to speak. Behind us was some guys we marched with and they were quoting that old boxing video game..."body blow, body blow, ohhh shot to the solar plexus"

:devil:

now, I've mellowed. granted I've seen life on the other side, but if I go in, I just ask questions, but if they give dumb answers, i only nudge them slightly. It's easier to protest via email.

In 8 years of judging, I've only been yelled at twice, and both times I knew what the problem was...they didnt listen to the tape, they just saw a number. So both times I told them to go listen to their tape, then come back.

that shut em up

Someone (Jeff) mentioned Charlie Poole, A MUST listen:

Go to YouTube, Search "This Could be Hellacious". 1992 late season Crossmen Charlie Poole tape. It's in 2 parts.

I can almost see what Charlie sees and feel what he feels, honest, exacting, thoughtful, etc. Some Hornline issues where it's cringeworthy, but dear God, what a percussion run.

I'm not a percussionist, but Part 2, 2 minutes 10 to 14, dear God, that battery just plays it's smokin' ### off and tells you how good they are.

Work calls. Really, Ben, MUST, MUST listen. Even a guy like me learned a lot from this and enjoyed it and it's a great tape if you forgive the horn indiscretions at times.

oh yes, I've listened to thattape many, many times. that was a week before finals too

Oh I would do that too...even my mom knew how to play Suncoast 85 after a while.

as a tech, there some critiques I skipped, but some I just couldnt stay away from for entertainment purposes. Once in 98, the whole drum staff went in, basically had the guy surrounded (not Bart) and fired off shots one after another, never gave the guy a chance to speak. Behind us was some guys we marched with and they were quoting that old boxing video game..."body blow, body blow, ohhh shot to the solar plexus"

:devil:

now, I've mellowed. granted I've seen life on the other side, but if I go in, I just ask questions, but if they give dumb answers, i only nudge them slightly. It's easier to protest via email.

In 8 years of judging, I've only been yelled at twice, and both times I knew what the problem was...they didnt listen to the tape, they just saw a number. So both times I told them to go listen to their tape, then come back.

that shut em up

What was fun was finding out what we were actually getting WRONG from some of the old Crossmen things... Robbie and Kenny Sherry showed us some of the licks from some of that early 80's stuff. I was tapping something out one day (not thinking about what I was playing or who was standing nearby) and he said "no, you're playing it wrong, it's this......" :thumbup:

When Kenny Sherry was going to Capitol Campus I stopped over at his dorm once or twice, (and I used to give him a ride to Reading occasionally for a Wednesday night practice) and he taught me a few things. Talk about a wealth of drumming knowledge from those guys. :worthy:

What was fun was finding out what we were actually getting WRONG from some of the old Crossmen things... Robbie and Kenny Sherry showed us some of the licks from some of that early 80's stuff. I was tapping something out one day (not thinking about what I was playing or who was standing nearby) and he said "no, you're playing it wrong, it's this......" :thumbup:

When Kenny Sherry was going to Capitol Campus I stopped over at his dorm once or twice, (and I used to give him a ride to Reading occasionally for a Wednesday night practice) and he taught me a few things. Talk about a wealth of drumming knowledge from those guys. :worthy:

oh the stuff I picked up from thurston and the gang when Dan would bring them in in 89 and 90.

my favoite moment at WGi was watching Scott Johnson ask Thurston how the 82 backsticking went, and seeing Mark show him

oh the stuff I picked up from thurston and the gang when Dan would bring them in in 89 and 90.

my favoite moment at WGi was watching Scott Johnson ask Thurston how the 82 backsticking went, and seeing Mark show him

Yeah He was crazy good also! Mark, Robbie, and Kenny played some of the 82 stuff the one day at a practice in 85 and it was off the charts :worthy:

The other guy we got to know in those days was Thom Hannuum, talk about another guy with off the chart hands!