The history of the Westshoremen

Hmm... the recipe for Southwind Punch/aka Fubi-Jubi, as Bill Light calls it...

IIRC, somehting like this according to Rook and Brother Dave-

Bali Hai wine of a good week-

Beer- Knowing Krauss, prolly Natty Bo....

Grain-

Vodka-

Couple drops of Gatorade or Hawaiian Punch for flavor

Something in a bottle in the fridge or liquor cabinet with a "good, strong smell".

Mix in a carafe, and drink. Evidently good for prostate health. :rolleyes:

The one story I'd heard about Nawlins was when Larry jumped off the diving board during the post contest party and went down to the bottom of the pool and sat there. People got worried when he continued to sit there submerged and someone had to get him out according to the sources that told me.

Jim, can you confirm that? :thumbup:

Slept thru the later antics at the pool. :doh: My high point was walking around with beer and not getting #### about it. Oh.... 4-5 people gigged my butt about it but then found out I was (finally) 21. Think Steve Filipelli asked how long I had been in the corps and (5 years) and his mouth hit the ground when he did the math.

I remember someone passed out in a shopping cart all night. No idea who, they were there when I went to bed and there when I woke up a few hours later. Nice family from TX talking to us the morning after... "Heard ya'll all night." (Thinking Oh ####). Then.. "saw the show. ya'll deserved it".

Note to self: Howie driving the bus to breakfast while hung over and Ralph screaming "HOW'S THE HEAD" in his face. Howie (sungalsses on) was cringing everytime someone got on the bus and finally realized the problem. Just another "lifes lesson" Senior corps gave us.

Note to self 2: Night after field show - party..... Next day breakfast with Howie... parade that night... then left after parade from no-tell mo-tel.

Yeah...there were a LOT of stories about that trip that surfaced over the years...the big one was the "Original" Chumley (Randy Beistline? Baritone player, IIRC) going to a massage parlor and getting a MASSAGE ONLY :blink:

People, for YEARS thought it was me (because of the name)

Some of the stories Smoothie told me were wild, most of them had to do with drinking, sleeping, then drinking again on the trip down...not too much other than winning, etc.... I think he also lost his virginity on that trip or something... the details of that time period are pretty fuzzy for the most part..

I was 9. I flew down with Dad.

:ph34r:

Tommy Beyer still doesnt remember Bourbon Street

really? Wally didn't do the marathon bus trip?? I had heard a few people flew.

Lots to reply to.

Yes, Benny's lady was hawt. Smokin' hawt. I still remember when she passed out at retreat right after they announced we beat the Hurcs at the Scranton show in '79. Pow! It was like a sniper took her out from the press box!

I was going to get to Norm- I thought though that he passed away a couple of weeks into the 1982 season, and that someone in the corps-Larry, Chuck, Bill et al? delivered a trophy from Clifton to him in the hospital.

I'm sure Larry or Bill can get the year right for us next rehearsal. Al, Norm, Little Pete, all great guys to know and be around, period.

I'll talk more about him later, I still think of him often and fondly- and he's one of those guys who was more than he appeared to be- Retired USN Lt-Commander or Commander and WW2 vet. Dad found that out about him talking to him, and he told me, and I said- "Dad, OUR Norm? Norm from the Rebs, in the Main Guard Norm?" (While thinking quietly to myself, our Norm who gives Rook, Chumley and I beer Norm......)

"Yes!"

"Holy @(%^(&%^!!! WOW!"

He had that straw aussie hat with the big Y-R badge on it he'd wear when he'd drink. I guess it was his warning/signal to all he was rowdy, and I still remember when he told off Fluffy on Bus 1 when she was too much her "normal self", to put it nicely. :tongue: We all applauded. We'd all had enough, but Norm wasn't PC about it. Another story for a dinner or corps party. Make a list and I'll tell them at the party after Hanover.

I only remember her from behind...during the sausage ride :blink: blonde hair flipping around and her yelling :thumbup: what WAS her name????

Yeah...Norm was a vet...Wasn't he in Korea as well?? I forget when he passed away, though...but yeah, he gave us beer! :thumbup:

Speaking of beer.... First "drum corps" beer I ever got was from Dottie Sweger at Danville in 1978. I was talking to Smoothie after the show (I was with Hershey at that point) and he introduced me to Donnie and Dottie, and she said "want a beer"? :tongue:

When she met my parents at a show in early 79, she said "Oh...don't worry, we keep an eye out on the younger kids, you know, make sure they don't get into trouble, or start drinking or anything like that, don't worry!" Then later on she told me.... "don't you screw up and make a liar out of me...go get a beer!" When she lived in walking distance from me, I used to run down occasionally, and hang out with Brian (who was also our Domino's guy for YEARS)(as was his hot freaking redheaded daughter!!! :devil: used to get a pizza AND a kiss from her when she delivered the pizza! :thumbup: )

Bruce Bolich and I think Terry Martin flew.

Why? Cuz they had never flown before... man Bruce was excited about that...

Dottie "don't make a liar out of me" I can JUST hear it. Probably finger waving at ya too.

Of course my old man would make a bee line to Ted Arndt when he would see him..... :blink:

PS - Hey Jeff.. .did Christine buy a raffle ticket from the Thunderbirds. If so, don't #### her off. I'll explain after I get a response. :devil:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I myself think of the Swegers a lot. All of them, thought I don't know Brian's family well.

I still remember Jim Wilson (Chunks) and I helping Donny with his cymbals on a scorcher of a day at Jessup, and him laughing his laugh, smiling, and shaking his head when he realized Jim and I could barely lift ONE of those plates each. Amazin'!

I never let anyone in the hornline get away with saying Donnie or the cymbals had it "easy" after that. Popeye woulda had trouble with those beasts.

Erie had Zona... I forget the ame of the Hurcs guy who carried those for years... all more or elss legendary for haulin' those plates around and playing them hard.

Edited by BigW

Bruce Bolich and I think Terry Martin flew.

Why? Cuz they had never flown before... man Bruce was excited about that...

Dottie "don't make a liar out of me" I can JUST hear it. Probably finger waving at ya too.

Of course my old man would make a bee line to Ted Arndt when he would see him..... :blink:

PS - Hey Jeff.. .did Christine buy a raffle ticket from the Thunderbirds. If so, don't #### her off. I'll explain after I get a response. :devil:

Yep....bore down (well up since she was so #### short) on me and wagged a finger! You know it!! haha!!

Yeah, my dad liked Ted for some dumb reason...Ted was weird, but he had the "in" with the parents for some dumb reason! I used to run into him way way back when I had to go to Penn Dot the first few years I worked at Nationwide Insurance. I think he hung out at Penn Dot...do did that #### JJ! "Hey Ben, Hey Ben!" :blink:

Edited by Jaminbenb

I myself think of the Swegers a lot. All of them, thought I don't know Brian's family well.

I still remember Jim Wilson (Chunks) and I helping Donny with his cymbals on a scorcher of a day at Jessup, and him laughing his laugh, smiling, and shaking his head when he realized Jim and I could barely lift ONE of those plates each. Amazin'!

I never let anyone in the hornline get away with saying Donnie or the cymbals had it "easy" after that. Popeye woulda had trouble with those beasts.

Erie had Zona... I forget the ame of the Hurcs guy who carried those for years... all more or elss legendary for haulin' those plates around and playing them hard.

Dottie and Ralph lived about a mile from me in a little place called "Highspire" Brian lived with them for a while until he met his wife (I forget her name, but I went to high school with her sister Audrey) Brian also stayed pretty close, and used to have a part time job delivering for Domino's. My parents were always ordering something from there, and got to see Brian a lot. I also used to run into him in Middletown here, and there occasionally...well, as his daughter grew up, I got to know her...and when SHE was old enough to drive and deliver for Domino's I used to see her all the time as well. She got to know me over the years, and whenever she saw me, I was like "family" so I got a hug! She was very cute with long red hair! :tongue:

Yeah, Zona was a trip! We got to know him pretty well when Bobby G and the Rochester contingency joined corps. (btw, I keep in touch with Bambi on FB fairly well..we were talking trash with each other during football season...she's a Bronco's fan, I was rooting for the Patriot's because of their coach who is now PSU's head coach)

I forget the name of the Hurcs guy, but I used to get to talk with him a lot when I marched Reading, those friggin' cymbals were HEAVY! Donnie's were heavy, but they weren't even HALF as bad as those! I think Donnie's were 28's, the Hurc's were 36's, and he had to wear a weight lifter's belt so he wouldn't screw up his back. Zildjian used to make them special for him. (or so he said, I just knew they weren't "catalog" items)

no, he wanted to get there early and not deal with the bus.

All I know was we wandered off of Bourbon Street into some dive, and we called for a cab at 3 AM. they wouldnt come into the neighborhood til daylight.

So we sat and they drank tild aylight. Except Tom. He was visiting the back of his eyelids