The history of the Westshoremen

I only remember her from behind...during the sausage ride :blink: blonde hair flipping around and her yelling :thumbup: what WAS her name????

Yeah...Norm was a vet...Wasn't he in Korea as well?? I forget when he passed away, though...but yeah, he gave us beer! :thumbup:

Speaking of beer.... First "drum corps" beer I ever got was from Dottie Sweger at Danville in 1978. I was talking to Smoothie after the show (I was with Hershey at that point) and he introduced me to Donnie and Dottie, and she said "want a beer"? :tongue:

When she met my parents at a show in early 79, she said "Oh...don't worry, we keep an eye out on the younger kids, you know, make sure they don't get into trouble, or start drinking or anything like that, don't worry!" Then later on she told me.... "don't you screw up and make a liar out of me...go get a beer!" When she lived in walking distance from me, I used to run down occasionally, and hang out with Brian (who was also our Domino's guy for YEARS)(as was his hot freaking redheaded daughter!!! :devil: used to get a pizza AND a kiss from her when she delivered the pizza! :thumbup: )

Benny died in 82. Norm was 83. I cried for days.

I miss the Sweigers too. Dottie and Ralph...oh I remember how proud they were the first time they saw me in uniform. The Mowbrays too.

My first Carlisle show was the last Carlisle show. The whole gang was there, and when we got off the field, I was mobbed by all of the old faces. I really cried when Betty Johnson passed away as she babysat me...and now Jerry isn't doing too good.

You guys were teens or early 20's, but I was still a little kid. These guys and gals were all like extra grandparents.

I remember in 96, before we left for Rottenchester for finals, making a list of people to call Sunday night justin case......these folks helped make it so eventually a year like 96 could happen.

And even if it was 2 AM, I called every ###### one of them.

Bruce Bolich and I think Terry Martin flew.

Why? Cuz they had never flown before... man Bruce was excited about that...

Dottie "don't make a liar out of me" I can JUST hear it. Probably finger waving at ya too.

Of course my old man would make a bee line to Ted Arndt when he would see him..... :blink:

PS - Hey Jeff.. .did Christine buy a raffle ticket from the Thunderbirds. If so, don't #### her off. I'll explain after I get a response. :devil:

one or both of us did.

Dottie and Ralph lived about a mile from me in a little place called "Highspire" Brian lived with them for a while until he met his wife (I forget her name, but I went to high school with her sister Audrey) Brian also stayed pretty close, and used to have a part time job delivering for Domino's. My parents were always ordering something from there, and got to see Brian a lot. I also used to run into him in Middletown here, and there occasionally...well, as his daughter grew up, I got to know her...and when SHE was old enough to drive and deliver for Domino's I used to see her all the time as well. She got to know me over the years, and whenever she saw me, I was like "family" so I got a hug! She was very cute with long red hair! :tongue:

Yeah, Zona was a trip! We got to know him pretty well when Bobby G and the Rochester contingency joined corps. (btw, I keep in touch with Bambi on FB fairly well..we were talking trash with each other during football season...she's a Bronco's fan, I was rooting for the Patriot's because of their coach who is now PSU's head coach)

I forget the name of the Hurcs guy, but I used to get to talk with him a lot when I marched Reading, those friggin' cymbals were HEAVY! Donnie's were heavy, but they weren't even HALF as bad as those! I think Donnie's were 28's, the Hurc's were 36's, and he had to wear a weight lifter's belt so he wouldn't screw up his back. Zildjian used to make them special for him. (or so he said, I just knew they weren't "catalog" items)

Al is the Hurcs guy

one or both of us did.

Barbara once told me that she wished she had flown to New Orleans instead of taking the bus. She said the bus ride lasted for longer than forever. LOL

She also said she had to sit out the parade and stay back at the hotel, because her asthma kicked up with the super-hot and humid weather.

I remember seeing Westshore's buses pull into the parking lot at Bridgeport's Kennedy Stadium, for the show there the weekend before DCAs in 1978... the weekend after you guys had gotten back from New Orleans. The corps had an "American Legion National Champions" banner on one of the buses. We saw that and said, "cool... they won last weekend... good for them." Then we took a closer look at you all getting off the buses... and it looked like the entire corps hadn't slept for two weeks. :tongue:

Barbara once told me that she wished she had flown to New Orleans instead of taking the bus. She said the bus ride lasted for longer than forever. LOL

She also said she had to sit out the parade and stay back at the hotel, because her asthma kicked up with the super-hot and humid weather.

I remember seeing Westshore's buses pull into the parking lot at Bridgeport's Kennedy Stadium, for the show there the weekend before DCAs in 1978... the weekend after you guys had gotten back from New Orleans. The corps had an "American Legion National Champions" banner on one of the buses. We saw that and said, "cool... they won last weekend... good for them." Then we took a closer look at you all getting off the buses... and it looked like the entire corps hadn't slept for two weeks. :tongue:

well...they hadn't LOL

Al is the Hurcs guy

That sounds right....too many brain cells lost from that point until now... :blink:

one or both of us did.

LOL - all I know is C Ream won sumthin'....

And Fran, while doing the parade we passed a time and tempeture clock that showed 10:00 and 80 degrees. Too bad (or maybe good thing) the humidity wasn't shown.

End of 1994 went to Nah 'lins for work. Turn on the TV and hear something like "on day 323, murders 318 and 319 occurred". One channel was working the "will we hit a murder a day" angle and the other was trying to decide how to number the two murders. IOW - do we number based on when they are found or when they were done in. Later in the week someone tried to steal a door off a historic building.... number 320.... High point was walking down Bourbon Street around 10PM (hardly anyone there) with a 5' 10" 300 lb co-worker. One of the "callers" outside a strip club (mix betwwen ZZ Top and Edgar Winter :shutup: ) yells out to us "C'mon in guys, ya might learn to like women".

Later Kris asked if I wanted to go there for a vacation. HELL NO!!!!

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And Fran, while doing the parade we passed a time and tempeture clock that showed 10:00 and 80 degrees. Too bad (or maybe good thing) the humidity wasn't shown.

End of 1994 went to Nah 'lins for work. Turn on the TV and hear something like "on day 323, murders 318 and 319 occurred". One channel was working the "will we hit a murder a day" angle and the other was trying to decide how to number the two murders. IOW - do we number based on when they are found or when they were done in. Later in the week someone tried to steal a door off a historic building.... number 320.... High point was walking down Bourbon Street around 10PM (hardly anyone there) with a 5' 10" 300 lb co-worker. One of the "callers" outside a strip club (mix betwwen ZZ Top and Edgar Winter :shutup: ) yells out to us "C'mon in guys, ya might learn to like women".

Meh...some of the hottest parades I've been stuck in are the #### Barnum Festival parades....hard to believe that New England can get THAT FREAKING HOT!!! (not to mention having to march it with a long blue coat that was very heavy)

Lisa has been to Nawlin's a few times for fraternity business...she HAS had some fun there, but most of the time she was stuck working...we keep saying we're going to get there one of these daze.

One of the band directors I used to work for, had some "mixes" for most of the popular drinks from down there, and we got pretty s**tfaced at a post band camp party one year... :blink: So I know what to expect! (and the chef at one of the restaurants we go to a lot when in the Keys used to work in Nawlin's and his gumbo is supposedly as good as, or better than any of them you can get there...)

It's all about food and drinks....no wonder I need to lose freaking weight.... :thumbdown:

End of 1994 went to Nah 'lins for work. Turn on the TV and hear something like "on day 323, murders 318 and 319 occurred". One channel was working the "will we hit a murder a day" angle and the other was trying to decide how to number the two murders. IOW - do we number based on when they are found or when they were done in.

Heh... Barbara was in New Orleans on a business trip over the infamous Stroudsburg Weekend in the summer of 1995, when it was hotter than blazes on the East coast.

I was working weekends then (one of the few times I really enjoyed being at work on a summer weekend, because of the air conditioning there!!)...she called me up and told me the temperature in New Orleans was something like 90 degrees. But the temp in the Baltimore/DC area was about 12-14 degrees higher, and the "heat index" was off the charts. LOL. Not often do we top N.O. for heat and humidity by that big a margin!

at this stage we accept cash, or in lieu of cash, diapers for the daughter to be