The history of the Westshoremen

Don't worry. It'll hit you when it hits you, like Howie hit the arrow with the bus. :tongue:

ok, I have my bus roster out now BIG W !!!!

Oh boy....I can only imagine! Lewistown was a pretty interesting weekend to say the least! Bavarian hot dogs comes to mind!

I seem to remember a lot, and when my memory get's jogged, I can pull some pretty obscure stuff out of the ol' craw!

Just keep posting, and I'll attempt to fill in any blanks I remember. Great stuff so far!

love those bavarian hot dogs !!! :tongue:

Midland was ICA from 80 to 83.. Maybe they had some RCA shows too, prior to 1980.. I didn't know they had a DCA show there .... learning ALOT here!

LOL, I'm trying to remember and getting Midland, Bradford and Johnsonburg corn-fused in my mind. Think it was Bradford where Westshore won it's first RCA show since the rebuild (76 or 77). Think a four corps show with us, Hershey/York and ??????. Only remember Hershey/York because some drunk kept yelling "Bring it back to the Valley. Bring it back to the Cumberland Valley" during retreat.

Talked to Frank Dorrite at the Westshore History room over SiB weekend. Wish I could remember the full quote but it was basically that corps people know more little towns in the middle of no where than anyone else. If you marched corps enough you can get totally lost and then it's "oh wait... I've been here before.... yeah that's the road to the stadium". :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I was reading it at work and had to jam my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing out loud. I could just PICTURE the whole thing in my mind. Funnier since we stopped at that place on the way back from NY a year or so ago.

Hershman must have learned to have his back to the window so he could do a Sgt Shultz ("I see Nut'ing). Speaking of that :tongue: .... was the Phillipsburg, NJ McDonalds flag in 78 or 79? Have posted it a few times, If 78 will post again if requested. If 79 maybe BigW has a new perspective.

Midland... :tongue: so many RCA shows in crap areas I couldn't remember which circuit that was.

I know we "borrowed" the American flag from the Phillipsburg McDonald's in 1982 since ours was back on the truck. We "borrowed a lot of things from that McDonald's including the McDonald's flag which I believe fearless leader, oops, I mean Larry still has.

Talked to Frank Dorrite at the Westshore History room over SiB weekend. Wish I could remember the full quote but it was basically that corps people know more little towns in the middle of no where than anyone else. If you marched corps enough you can get totally lost and then it's "oh wait... I've been here before.... yeah that's the road to the stadium". :tongue:

I know what you mean. No matter how much the town has changed, you can still find your way around to all the important places, ie practice field and stadium.

The Flag was stolen in '77 or '78. I've seen photos of Nate Ward on the podium in that period conducting the corps in competition with that flag draped around the podium with a huge Bugs Bunny doll wearing a Westshore T-Shirt propped up on the box as well.

That stuff wasn't around in '79.

Edited by BigW

The Flag was stolen in '77 or '78. I've seen photos of Nate Ward on the podium in that period conducting the corps in competition with that flag draped around the podium with a huge Bugs Bunny doll wearing a Westshore T-Shirt propped up on the box as well.

Had to be 1978 then for a two word reason: "Brother Dave". Dave K was in Yankee Rebels/Southwind in 1977 and joined the rest of the YR drumline up narth in 1978. Dave used to post here and the flag had "materialized" in his basement for some reason. :tongue:

Yep, the buses stopped on the way to ??? around 2AM so Larry could warn the place we'd be back the next evening. Next morning the MickeyDs flag was on a spare flagpole and was paraded around the practice site. :sad:

Howie: Yeah, I saw the flag go down and thought they were putting up a new one or sumthin'. Then I realized it didn't go back up and.. yeah... Westshore's here.

Larry (next morning): I don't care who did it. I don't WANT to know who did it. But... we're stopping there tonight and certain people may want to stay on the bus in case they were seen.

The next night we were trying to figure out who wasn't in McDs (IOW still on the bus) and who was buying food "to go" (IOW to go to the bus). :tongue:

We probably "acquired" the replacement to the flag that was, how shall we say this, borrowed by Westshore in the late 1970's

RE: the flags....I remember one was almost procured in Montreal.... "We're from corporate, they didn't send you a letter with the new flag? The color changed, they didn't tell you?" was what I overheard.

But from what I've heard through the grapevine, most, if not all were shipped out to Cali when Larry sold the truck (and things that were in it...Ruth's cymbals, my percussion goodies, and God knows what else...who would have thought that it would be there the next year)

Scott, The last I heard anything about Boltzie was from Scott Yearger who worked at Dauphin Deposit Bank with me. (They were high school buds) I left the bank in 1990, and I THINK Scott left a year or two prior, so 1988-89 maybe? Maybe I should set one of those smoke bombs off in my neighbors garage since I live in Hummelstown...then I can ask one of the guys that shows up to put it out if they know him...####, I wish I still had some!!!

That plant in Midland was scary though...it wasn't the smell of the smoke, it was the various colors the smoke appeared in! I recall about 10 different colors from different parts of the plant...but it was the baby puke yellow that really got me!

:tongue: Place reminded me a lot of Steelton in it's hey day, but on a smaller scale. I laugh every time I see the sign for it when I head to that part of the state!

One of the things Big W, was remember our age, and "vintage" within the activity at that point I know it was basically my second year in a corps, and my knowledge of things that were going on weren't as keen as some of the guys that had been around for quite some time...I only knew that we were a heck of a lot better in 79 than they were in 78...and a whole HELUVA lot better than my year in the Chocolatiers!!!! So to me the "Uncle Truman" episode was just a OK...maybe something is up moment. Where we were placing at that point was fine with me! It's not like we just went through a 1982-83 like run, kept the same basic personnel, and had been getting dumped! (And listening to the recording 30 years on, I can see WHY we were a mid-pack corps)

ok, I have my bus roster out now BIG W !!!!

You have a bus roster! :tongue:

That's just funny! :tongue: