The history of the Westshoremen

I guess the choices were Education and Performance....Ok...for a drummer....you needed to play Porgy and Bess on the marimba forwards, backwards, inside out, and with your own style before you went any further....so most people I knew went for ED and hated it...(or switched to sound recording) But the whole "ED" thing was TEACHING! And if you couldn't TEACH, you may as well went for performance.....

W, you are a teacher at heart, and great with people...the fact that you couldn't get a solid gig is a testament that the world is messed up in respects to WHO is teaching these days! Seeing guys like my former band director in that capacity is a travesty!

I've worked with a few, that well...shouldn't have been. luckily the good ones far surpassed those tools.

W's been hovering around the site.... where we at brother? :blink:

some where in the first Reagan administration

There are a few things I need to think about and bring up before discussing the next big mess, the Grand Prix. Looking back at that and what happened, knowing what I know now with various things in play with various individuals, I think that was a watershed moment that decided a lot about the corps' future.

Let me put it this way, when the DCI people on DCP say that one should never boo a show, it's so meanieheaded and politcically incorrect and bad and does terrible things to the performers, I say, baloney.

And I can say it because I have been booed, so had Ben, and every Westshoremen who performed at that contest. I don't remember it affecting anyone in the corps negatively. In fact I took it as a good chip on the shoulder.

There are a few things I need to think about and bring up before discussing the next big mess, the Grand Prix. Looking back at that and what happened, knowing what I know now with various things in play with various individuals, I think that was a watershed moment that decided a lot about the corps' future.

Let me put it this way, when the DCI people on DCP say that one should never boo a show, it's so meanieheaded and politcically incorrect and bad and does terrible things to the performers, I say, baloney.

And I can say it because I have been booed, so had Ben, and every Westshoremen who performed at that contest. I don't remember it affecting anyone in the corps negatively. In fact I took it as a good chip on the shoulder.

It was probably because we walked in to Cab's street time, and out to Sky's! :blink: (I think that was 1981 when we did it for some reason or WAS it 82? I remember having the bongo's on my tenors both of those years) :devil: I remember SOME animosity at that show...but it doesn't ring a bell at this moment in time... smiley-mad0261.gif

It was probably because we walked in to Cab's street time, and out to Sky's! :blink: (I think that was 1981 when we did it for some reason or WAS it 82? I remember having the bongo's on my tenors both of those years) :devil: I remember SOME animosity at that show...but it doesn't ring a bell at this moment in time... smiley-mad0261.gif

It had nothing to do with the street time, Ben. We were in a totally hostile stadium at that contest. There was also quiet talk within the corps about some things that could happen to us before the Grand Prix that I was privy to.

I need to get something to eat and go to work-- but as a hint, I will say there was a lot of quiet discussion with some of the membership about the 1977-1978 Matadors and things that supposedly happened to them during those seasons. Rumor? Fiction? Truth, untruth, whatever it was, it was very, very seriously discussed.

It had nothing to do with the street time, Ben. We were in a totally hostile stadium at that contest. There was also quiet talk within the corps about some things that could happen to us before the Grand Prix that I was privy to.

I need to get something to eat and go to work-- but as a hint, I will say there was a lot of quiet discussion with some of the membership about the 1977-1978 Matadors and things that supposedly happened to them during those seasons. Rumor? Fiction? Truth, untruth, whatever it was, it was very, very seriously discussed.

Ok...never knew about any of that... I just knew that for the most part Jersey tended to be hostile territory when we started winning...and I remember when we played those two street times going in and out to a not so happy crowd.

I'll wait for your info to see if anything rings a bell.

I agree! in 96, being in enemy territory was half the fun!