The history of the Westshoremen

no....i checked the page. the black apparently got added mid season, after Hershey.

early Stingrays...eh. hit or miss. the drums we had in 95-97 weren't bad, but they did require a lot of work. I mean snares were triple hooped

The snares didn't bug me as much as the tenors did...I cranked one until the shell cracked, they used to pop lugs out, and get warped. My suggestion to them when we sent the second set of tenors back was to add more lugs, reinforce the shells, and possibly replace the washers on the inner lug with a piece of metal the length of the lug....not sure what they ever did... I gave it up after that year.

You actually still listen to him? His shtick never changes? It's the same stuff from back in the 80's :huh:

oH man, you have no idea...Howards very different on satellite. Some of the best interviews out there.

The snares didn't bug me as much as the tenors did...I cranked one until the shell cracked, they used to pop lugs out, and get warped. My suggestion to them when we sent the second set of tenors back was to add more lugs, reinforce the shells, and possibly replace the washers on the inner lug with a piece of metal the length of the lug....not sure what they ever did... I gave it up after that year.

oh they reinforcedthe shells.I have the back pain to prove it

oh they reinforcedthe shells.I have the back pain to prove it

I remember the problems we had with the Slingerlands..the tension rods used to twist until they broke...With the Pearls, they supplied tension rods that didn't have enough thread..we kept calling them and saying that they needed to give us rods with more thread...they FINALLY did it! (and the grey ones in 84 had the lugs about a 1/2" LOWER so it gave us a little more clearance....the Premiers we had at Reading were nice..never had much trouble with them, they tuned up nice...(and I never had trouble with Ludwig...HATED their sets, but loved their marching drums...heavy as heck, but sturdy!) but those blasted Stink-rays were trouble. Glad they fixed the issues after a while. I like some of the snare set ups now, but hate the sound, and I can imagine getting "tennis" elbow from playing them.

oH man, you have no idea...Howards very different on satellite. Some of the best interviews out there.

Nope..still not listening...I listened to him a lot years back, and just can't deal with him anymore.

I remember the problems we had with the Slingerlands..the tension rods used to twist until they broke...With the Pearls, they supplied tension rods that didn't have enough thread..we kept calling them and saying that they needed to give us rods with more thread...they FINALLY did it! (and the grey ones in 84 had the lugs about a 1/2" LOWER so it gave us a little more clearance....the Premiers we had at Reading were nice..never had much trouble with them, they tuned up nice...(and I never had trouble with Ludwig...HATED their sets, but loved their marching drums...heavy as heck, but sturdy!) but those blasted Stink-rays were trouble. Glad they fixed the issues after a while. I like some of the snare set ups now, but hate the sound, and I can imagine getting "tennis" elbow from playing them.

Check out the Boom Boom percussion interview with the Phantom caption head. He's got things tuned just right and explains why. Great interview and video. I'd say this is an acceptable link as per DCP policy, if not, tell me and explain why so I can figure it out and nto screw up again, please.

Nice clip....I like the sound of their tuning (and the little trade off between the snares and tenors about 3:55)

when we got the first set of white stingrays in 90, we added "clicks" to the side of the drums during the beat. it sounded just like a lug popping. freaked Dan out for a year, cause every time he heard it, he'd whirl around to see whose drum popped

:tongue:

85 we had trouble with tenor heads..for some reason we were breaking them like CRAZY Robbie was flipping out every time we broke one (a few each practice) Sucked to be me since I was the one that tuned them! :rolleyes: (he remembered in 84 that I was a tom player, and I got stuck tuning them mid-season at one show..."hey wait, you used to play toms, you tune these!" :blink:

85 we had trouble with tenor heads..for some reason we were breaking them like CRAZY Robbie was flipping out every time we broke one (a few each practice) Sucked to be me since I was the one that tuned them! :rolleyes: (he remembered in 84 that I was a tom player, and I got stuck tuning them mid-season at one show..."hey wait, you used to play toms, you tune these!" :blink:

yeah that happened to me once in 03. I showed up at a corps rehearsal just to hang, and they ended up suckering me into tuning their basses.

didn't sound as good the reast of the season when their bass tech was around

:tongue: