The history of the Westshoremen

If I recall correctly, the alumni steel slam coordinator and her didn't exactly hit it off famously....but don't take my explicit word for it...it was a conversation of several years ago.

that has happened once or twice over the years with the generation gap between my era and yours. I won't dent/confirm it as I don't know, not will I defend anyone, but I have seen that happen once or twice.

that has happened once or twice over the years with the generation gap between my era and yours. I won't dent/confirm it as I don't know, not will I defend anyone, but I have seen that happen once or twice.

Techniques changed over the years....heck from what I recall from early 84 to my version of LATE 84 was a culture change as far as technique. Heck, when I first joined in 79, the cymbals all had wooden handles.....

But as I said...I recall a conversation...don't remember the down and dirty of it, but do remember there was no chance of one buying the other a beer after rehearsal. :rolleyes:

Techniques changed over the years....heck from what I recall from early 84 to my version of LATE 84 was a culture change as far as technique. Heck, when I first joined in 79, the cymbals all had wooden handles.....

But as I said...I recall a conversation...don't remember the down and dirty of it, but do remember there was no chance of one buying the other a beer after rehearsal. :rolleyes:

No, there was not any chance of that. Especially after someone who I personally feel was FAR less deserving participated. I think you know who I'm talking about. It was someone who was only with the corps for one season. I have noted that person hasn't been performing with the Alumni for a year ot two now. I'm quite comfortable with that. Nuff said.

Oil seems to have poured on the water with the issue, things eventually more or less worked out on some way or another. I did some of that. :satisfied:

No, there was not any chance of that. Especially after someone who I personally feel was FAR less deserving participated. I think you know who I'm talking about. It was someone who was only with the corps for one season. I have noted that person hasn't been performing with the Alumni for a year ot two now. I'm quite comfortable with that. Nuff said.

Oil seems to have poured on the water with the issue, things eventually more or less worked out on some way or another. I did some of that. :satisfied:

They're the worst kind :doh:

The whole "marching cymbal world" has changed dramatically.

Way back in the day, in particular on the "local-circuit corps" level, I remember that many cymbal lines were made up mostly of the stumblebums who couldn't cut the rest of the drum line (snares, toms, etc.) or the horn line. :tongue:

Now, the marching cymbal lines are a show unto themselves!

Way back in the day, in particular on the "local-circuit corps" level, I remember that many cymbal lines were made up mostly of the stumblebums who couldn't cut the rest of the drum line (snares, toms, etc.) or the horn line. :tongue:

The Early 80's Westshoremen Cymbal line was a quite decent lot. Yes, they had some real characters (The Swegers!), but I think Ben would vouch for them all and the fact they came to do their thing rather well. Donnie used to haul the HUGE ones like the guy from the Hurcs is still known for. They were where they needed to be, played hard, marched hard, and held up those blasted things while the snares beat the crap out of them.

The Early 80's Westshoremen Cymbal line was a quite decent lot. Yes, they had some real characters (The Swegers!), but I think Ben would vouch for them all and the fact they came to do their thing rather well. Donnie used to haul the HUGE ones like the guy from the Hurcs is still known for. They were where they needed to be, played hard, marched hard, and held up those blasted things while the snares beat the crap out of them.

Plus the Sweger family had been main stays of the corps for years. Papa Ralph had been in the Main Guard since who knows when and wife Dottie was the one to go to for uniform repairs (and catch Hell when needed :tongue: ). Characters yes but "bled blue" and did whatever was needed. Trying to remember what the sons did in the corps before they were in the cymbal line and coming up with Main Guard and rifle(?).

I think a lot of it was stemmed from the DCI lines that always seemed to have cohesive cymbal sections...a little more than the kids that showed up and just slammed the plates...the DCI sections were a bit better than kids that would keep a steady beat, march in step, and had arms that didn't get tired when the snare line was riding on them. In high school, they were the kids that wanted to be in band, but had no musical talent :blink:

I always thought our lines were pretty good.

I learned first hand what a cymbal player goes through at the 84 Barnum Festival parade. It was HOT AS H-E-L-L and one of the cymbal players went down, since the corps was playing Central Park for the parade tune, there was a bunch of ride stuff, and hi-hat stuff in it, so the snare line needed those bodies. I was walking along (having a nice day) pushing a hand truck with a water cooler on it, and Robbie said "go grab her cymbals!!" So I handed the water cooler off to someone, and grabbed the cymbals. Before the first time through, one of the other players gave me the quick and dirty on where I played, and where I held, and whether it was ride or hi-hat. Thankfully I knew the tune pretty well (Thank you Sun! :thumbup: ) and was able to get through the first time with no problems...except I was stuck on the side (since I wasn't wearing a uniform) and had Kenny Sherry and Rich Hammond (who were both hard hitters!) During the tune, and the street time, I was learning the parts, and by the third time through the tune I had them down, as well as my moves, but JEEZIS were my arms KILLING ME! :blink: To boot, the cymbals we used were all 20"! Not to mention I had to march at least half of the parade BACKWARDS!

Nah, we had no slouches, and the cymbal people that were there previously wouldn't let the newbies get away with slacking! For years I used to see Denise, who was in the 83 line, at Al Mediteraneo (a local restaurant) and she'd make a muscle with her arm and would say "I STILL have guns from playing those #### cymbals!" :tongue: